Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: SPG
Is this problem solvable by calling Amex? I have similar needs on same situations.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by twkidM3
Originally booked SFO-HNL in economy, paid for... Then upgraded using the website offer from Economy to Business. Paid as upgrade fare. The processing details on AMEX site shows upgrade as a keyword, but no credits. This is sooo annoyinggg.
Is this problem solvable by calling Amex? I have similar needs on same situations.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 4:05 pm

Seems like from what I’m reading here there are mixed reviews of being able to get the credit for an upgrade from Economy to Economy Plus for the extra legroom. Is that right that YMMV? I have the Hilton Aspire.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 3:47 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Gold | Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by njsalazar
Seems like from what I’m reading here there are mixed reviews of being able to get the credit for an upgrade from Economy to Economy Plus for the extra legroom. Is that right that YMMV? I have the Hilton Aspire.
For what it's worth, I've had no trouble using the credit for Economy Plus seat fees. It has applied automatically each time.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by STS-134
Change fees are covered as per the official policy, so it should, and if it doesn't, you should call.
Reporting back that my change fee and subsequent luggage fee, wifi fee, and preferred seat selection fee all credited automatically. Credit was fully utilized!
Old Oct 25, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by moe8555
Reporting back that my change fee and subsequent luggage fee, wifi fee, and preferred seat selection fee all credited automatically. Credit was fully utilized!
I thought Wi-Fi was charged by a secondary supplier and therefore not reimbursed. Anyone else with personal experience?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I thought Wi-Fi was charged by a secondary supplier and therefore not reimbursed. Anyone else with personal experience?
Mine was charged by United itself. It was an international flight, if that helps somehow.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:38 am

I frequently fly with UA. Almost all WIFI fees are charged by UA itself.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 11:16 am

Anyone know if purchasing seats for Basic Economy would work ?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
there are only a few that are problematic, such as the 752 p.s. 28J birds. The way around is buying it before the flight online. Otherwise it is charged as UA and Amex credit works well.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:17 am

How did the charges show up intiailly? Mine says preferred seat upgrade, I would expect the meter to change in the next day or do since the charge just posted today from Sunday purchase.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by moe8555

How long did it take from charge posting to credit be applied?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: United Silver, Alaska MVP, Hawaiian, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I want to renew my wife's E+ annual subscription on United. I chatted with the Amex agent to make sure these subscriptions would count toward reimbursement which they confirmed and I took photos of the conversation for proof. My question is, has anyone split the payment between two travel credit eligible cards successfully with United? Online, it seems to only give one credit card payment as an option though I didn't go further to see if they'd allow split charges. I have the Hilton Aspire ($250 credit) and Amex Platinum ($200 credit) which I'd like to use both towards this subscription. I suspect I'll have to call the MileagePlus center and do it over the phone, but would like to know if others have tried and were successful - and if so, how.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by lxitixl
Anyone know if purchasing seats for Basic Economy would work ?
Yes it does. Credit posted automatically for me.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:58 am

For those wanting to use credit for econ plus seating. I used miles for 3 seats, then 2 days later Oct 27, I purchased econ plus for all three for 390, finally today it shows a credit of two of the fees for the full $250. Charges posted as Preferred Seat Upgrade in the description.
sdsearch likes this.

Last edited by givingitatry; Nov 1, 2019 at 5:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.