Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by eajusa
You will see a message on the UA website that states. That the registers is discontinued and that you may use your balance until it expires.
RIP.

Anyone want to speculate regarding the rationale for this? Could it have been a vehicle for money laundering?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
RIP.

Anyone want to speculate regarding the rationale for this? Could it have been a vehicle for money laundering?
Since we all know UA puts customers first, we all know it couldn't have had anything to do with customer service lol. Seriously, they (UA) probably just weren't seeing enough value out of it for them.

And money laundering? I doubt it. Not that it'd be impossible, but in this case not profitable for the money launderer. Think about laundering a couple mil this way, they'd be losing a ton on the liquidation, not to mention all the work put into it. Much better off using other methods.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa
You will see a message on the UA website that states. That the registers is discontinued and that you may use your balance until it expires.
Thought that website “maintenance” was taking a little too long.

I utilized the gift registry a few times and thought it worked pretty well in conjunction with the $200 AMEX credits.

Checked my current balance and it’s $0.00.

UA/Chase has a United Travel Bank CC. Wonder if that played a role. Its introduction roughly coincided with the gift registry “maintenance” banner.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:50 am

Datapoint for following situation:
I booked Basic Economy tickets for 2 travelers, but didn't purchase any seats at booking.
After the booking was ticketed, I used AMEX Gold to assign seats (since I wanted the 2 travelers to sit next to each other). Four transactions were posted to my card, one for each traveler, for each leg (it was a direct flight, round trip). Each of these transactions was coded "Preferred Seat Upgrade" and reimbursed 3 days later.
mia likes this.

Last edited by reallove; Apr 30, 2019 at 8:14 am Reason: corrected second sentence
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by reallove
Datapoint for following situation:
I booked Basic Economy tickets for 2 travelers, but didn't purchase any tickets at booking.
How did you book the tickets without purchasing it?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by presario1626
How did you book the tickets without purchasing it?
bah I mistyped, sorry! Correcting original post. I meant that I didn't purchase any seats at booking!
Old May 2, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
Figure I should add my DPs re: inflight food purchases since its been awhile since someone posted. I usually don't buy food inflight but since I have this airline credit to use and was in Economy (plus)...

It took a week for the charge(s) to post to AMEX and the receipt to show up in my email. I found it annoying I couldn't get a receipt right away. They seemed to get your email by cross-referencing your seat assignment and your flight info as they were checking the seat number as they never asked my name or email. So don't switch seats without letting the FA know as seat switcher could be charging all the alcohol to your seat and you won't know for at least a week or more!

I think it's established they batch process the info from their handheld machine so it can take longer or shorter depending on whatever schedule they have. I ordered two things and while I received one receipt, it came up as two line items, not backdated (listed in details as inflight snack) in AMEX. They both were credited two days later.
Old May 3, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
UA Award fees work. Just booked my tickets & received the credit immediately.
808traveler likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by rocky_nnc
UA Award fees work. Just booked my tickets & received the credit immediately.
What was the amount?
808traveler likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
This may already be covered - but I don't see it in the wiki - the inflight wifi EWR-SFO was $8.99 (for an hour!), was reimbursed.

Speaking of the wiki, would be nice to add a section that has a list of things that are reimbursable - wifi, award fees (e.g. $5.60 to book an award flight), BoB food.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
What was the amount?
40$ while the rest 75$ was not covered which was last moment booking charges.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by rocky_nnc
40$ while the rest 75$ was not covered which was last moment booking charges.
Was that $40 for the phone reservation charge?
Old May 10, 2019, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by presario1626
Was that $40 for the phone reservation charge?
not it was award ticket fees.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by SkyHarbor
This worked for me. I had to call to get the pet fee refunded. Thanks.
This also worked for me. Agent said pet fees do not automatically refund so you must call if you try this. I cancelled the entire itinerary within 24 hours, and opted to put the funds toward future travel. Instead of putting them in Travel Bank, they put them in a cancelled reservation, so to use the funds you have to login, find the cancelled trip, and click a link to a new search from there. Next time I will just ask for a refund so I don't lose track of credits. I was not given an option to have the pet fees toward future travel when I called. I used Hilton Aspire $250 travel credit.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Bonvoy something
Just got reimbursed for upgrade fees on economy to first on a domestic ticket. Completely unexpected as I had already paid my Amex balance, and was thrown off when I saw a credit. Shows Amex Airline Fee reimbursement for both legs.

Saw the recent AA data points with gift cards working so maybe some changes afoot with UA.
Flying Machine and jeepie like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.