FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

angra Jan 9, 18 8:18 am

so far, larger than $50 has not been reimbursed. this could change at any time, though.

vpayette Jan 9, 18 12:29 pm

Purchased 4 x $50 DL GC on desktop site using Amex Platinum.

Purchased 1/6 as one transaction.
Posted 1/7 as four transactions DELTA AIR LINES - ATLANTA
Credited 1/8 for all four.

eggzlot Jan 9, 18 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone (Post 29269414)
Sorry to bump my question, but surely someone knows if purchases larger than $50 are reimbursed? As I mentioned, there's no way I could go through eight GCs. Given that the wiki says up to 3 GCs can be used per ticket, I could make six purchases ($75/$75/$50 x 2) work on a single r/t, but buying four $100 GCs would be much easier. First, though, I'd need confirmation that $75 or $100 purchases are reimbursable.

Thanks so much for any help.

$50 is the limit
price out the ticket as 2 one ways. usually prices out fairly close if not identical to the same price. example JFK to LAX as ticket one and LAX to JFK as ticket two. use 2 $50 gift cards on each purchase. round trip airfare purchased
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

sometimes this hobby does not allow for the easier process to function

mia Jan 9, 18 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone (Post 29269414)
... surely someone knows if purchases larger than $50 are reimbursed?....

The only way we would know is if someone made, say, a $100 purchase and reported the outcome. There isn't much motivation to attempt a larger transaction when the $50 amount has been known to work reliably for years.

JATR4 Jan 9, 18 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29270930)
The only way we would know is if someone made, say, a $100 purchase and reported the outcome. There isn't much motivation to attempt a larger transaction when the $50 amount has been known to work reliably for years.

I made a purchase of a Delta gift card on 7/23/17 for $135 that was not reimbursed. I subsequently purchasef 4 X $50 Delta cards that were reimbursed.

hi55us Jan 10, 18 9:50 am

Now this is an odd one -- bought 2 tickets for TPA-BOS, non-stop, for 2 passengers on the Ameriprise Platinum. Should have come to ~$500 total.

Oddly, Delta sent it to Amex in 2 transactions. One for ~$300 and one for $205. The $300 showed the ticket as I would expect with the two cities clearly visible on the amex website, but the $205 registered as an "Additional collection" and triggered my $200 credit for 2018. This was a plain vanilla economy ticket.

BeardedVagabond Jan 10, 18 12:35 pm

On 1/7, I purchased 4X$50 Delta e-gift cards with my Amex MB Plat, and 2X$50 Delta GCs with my Amex PRG.
Today, 1/10, the full reimbursements posted. :)

manacit Jan 10, 18 3:40 pm

I'm sure these Data Points get annoying, but I guess it can't hurt:

Bought 4x$50 in one transaction on 1/5, posted reimbursement for all of them on 1/7 :)

RandomBaritone Jan 10, 18 4:35 pm

Thanks all. And yup, as my posted indicated I'm well aware that buying two one-ways on many routes prices out the same as a round-trip. Unfortunately that'd still leave me with $100 in credits to burn! :p Eh, I'll figure something out.

vbscript2 Jan 12, 18 2:12 am

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone (Post 29276454)
Thanks all. And yup, as my posted indicated I'm well aware that buying two one-ways on many routes prices out the same as a round-trip. Unfortunately that'd still leave me with $100 in credits to burn! :p Eh, I'll figure something out.

You can use 3x GCs/ticket right? You mentioned both yourself and your spouse. Are both of you flying on the round-trip on which you want to use the credit? If so, it seems like booking separate tickets should do the trick. For example: ticket 1 = you, outbound (use 3x GCs); ticket 2 = your spouse, outbound (use 3 more GCs); ticket 3 = both of you, inbound (use the remaining 2 GCs.)

After booking, you should be able to call Delta and link the 2 outbound reservations, if you want.

If you don't want to book separate reservations or if your spouse is not traveling on that trip, you could use 6 GCs ($300) as described before and then send the other 2x $50 GCs to me. I'll happily use them for you. :P

Happy Jan 12, 18 2:06 pm

How does DL refund a fully refundable ticket when eGift Certs are part of the payment?

Do you get 3 certs back or one with $150 value?

If it is $150 value, may be this is a process one could consolidate the $50 certs into more meaningful amount so easier to use them up?

mia Jan 12, 18 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 29285116)
How does DL refund...

THIS post may be helpful.

Happy Jan 12, 18 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29285166)
THIS post may be helpful.

Thanks mia. you are always very resourceful. So it is a no go, the funds go back to the original forms of payment to the exact amount.

globalmogul Jan 14, 18 1:19 pm

Bought 4 $50 ecerts on 12/30, and they posted 12/30. No credits as of today.

knit-in Jan 14, 18 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by hi55us (Post 29274535)
Now this is an odd one -- bought 2 tickets for TPA-BOS, non-stop, for 2 passengers on the Ameriprise Platinum. Should have come to ~$500 total.

Oddly, Delta sent it to Amex in 2 transactions. One for ~$300 and one for $205. The $300 showed the ticket as I would expect with the two cities clearly visible on the amex website, but the $205 registered as an "Additional collection" and triggered my $200 credit for 2018. This was a plain vanilla economy ticket.

With the assumption that the Ameriprise is a typo, this is indeed very interesting. So, $200 of your $500 ticket price was deducted from your Amex Plat airline credit? That is a game changer.

Would you please post if that is ever rectified.

Question for the wider forum:
Has the airline credit worked when paying fees associated with award redemption?