FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

JW6130 Jan 14, 18 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in (Post 29292388)
With the assumption that the Ameriprise is a typo, this is indeed very interesting. So, $200 of your $500 ticket price was deducted from your Amex Plat airline credit? That is a game changer.

Would you please post if that is ever rectified.

Question for the wider forum:
Has the airline credit worked when paying fees associated with award redemption?

I've been credited for award taxes, IIRC. The words "additional collection" are what you are looking for with this. Don't buy upgrades online unless you want to argue with Amex, as they get coded as an upgrade.

mia Jan 14, 18 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in (Post 29292388)
With the assumption that the Ameriprise is a typo, ....?

Why would it be a typo? The Ameriprise version of the Platinum Card includes the Airline Fee reimbursement benefit, same as other versions.

Diplomatico Jan 14, 18 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by hi55us (Post 29274535)
Now this is an odd one -- bought 2 tickets for TPA-BOS, non-stop, for 2 passengers on the Ameriprise Platinum. Should have come to ~$500 total.

Oddly, Delta sent it to Amex in 2 transactions. One for ~$300 and one for $205. The $300 showed the ticket as I would expect with the two cities clearly visible on the amex website, but the $205 registered as an "Additional collection" and triggered my $200 credit for 2018. This was a plain vanilla economy ticket.

Did you use $300 in Delta gift cards/e-certs for the tickets and pay the remaining $205 with your Platinum card, by chance?

knit-in Jan 15, 18 12:15 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29292599)
Why would it be a typo? The Ameriprise version of the Platinum Card includes the Airline Fee reimbursement benefit, same as other versions.

It wouldn't. And neither would I have assumed a typo, if I knew such a product existed. My fault. Apologies. :o

That being said, since the reimbursement benefit is the same as other versions, if the member that I quoted received part of the fare paid as reimbursement, then that is certainly something to be tracked, and as such if other members have received the benefit as discount on fare paid, then it would be great if they documented it. That kind of reimbursement would bring this Amex benefit more in line with the Chase Sapphire Reserve's $300 travel benefit.

knit-in Jan 15, 18 12:23 am

Originally Posted by JW6130 (Post 29292594)
I've been credited for award taxes, IIRC. The words "additional collection" are what you are looking for with this. Don't buy upgrades online unless you want to argue with Amex, as they get coded as an upgrade.

My taxes and fees for a SYD-JFK Y award ticket is $119. I'm wondering if its better to buy some eCerts to pay that, rather than expect the reimbursement benefit to take care of it, particularly since the amount is in excess of $100.

Happy Jan 15, 18 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in (Post 29293810)
My taxes and fees for a SYD-JFK Y award ticket is $119. I'm wondering if its better to buy some eCerts to pay that, rather than expect the reimbursement benefit to take care of it, particularly since the amount is in excess of $100.

You can NOT pay the taxes with e-Certs whether online or by the phone. So you would be stuck with those $50 e-Certs and still have to pay the taxes on your award ticket.

knit-in Jan 15, 18 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 29295764)
You can NOT pay the taxes with e-Certs whether online or by the phone. So you would be stuck with those $50 e-Certs and still have to pay the taxes on your award ticket.

Ah.. good to know. Thanks.

Edited to Add:
Looking at the T&C, I can't seem to find definitive language on that though. While the relevant portion says the certificate may not be used of Additional Fees, it does say the eCerts may be used towards "total purchase price of air transportation including taxes, fees and surcharges".

Any anecdotal evidence for confirmation either way?

Other Terms and Conditions:
  • eGifts and Cards may only be used for the total purchase price of air transportation, including taxes, fees, and surcharges imposed on the air transportation. They may not be used for any additional fees (including baggage fees) or for any other products or services (including class upgrades, in-flight purchases, premium seating, mileage booster, SkyMiles Cruises, cargo, hotel stays, or car rentals).
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/planning-a-trip/booking-information/online-booking/etickets-certificates-ecredits/gift-cards-term-conditions.html

applesauce Jan 15, 18 12:46 pm

Key phrase is "total purchase price."

Originally Posted by knit-in (Post 29295793)
Looking at the T&C, I can't seem to find definitive language on that though.

knit-in Jan 15, 18 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by applesauce (Post 29295866)
Key phrase is "total purchase price."

Fair enough. ^

oakland Jan 18, 18 9:14 pm

I didn't get much of an answer on the CLEAR information thread so will ask here too as Delta has partnered with CLEAR for discounted memberships.

Has anyone tried using the 100$ Amex travel credit for a 99$ (or 79$) CLEAR membership via your SkyMiles number? If yes, then did it get reimbursed as an incidental air travel purchase?

C W Jan 18, 18 11:42 pm

I got both my PRG and Plat credits reimbursed as GCs within the last week by purchasing through the desktop site.

Ariesflyertalk Jan 19, 18 2:36 am

Using a mobile device but I hit the request desktop version when I got GCs with plat and Prg. Credits received 3 days later.

bloc0102 Jan 19, 18 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 29295764)

I have been able to do this once when calling (last summer); the CSR had to contact another desk, but was able to charge $78.64x2 for award taxes using 3 $50 e-certs and a CC. Two other times I have been shot down.

ETA: This is what payment method said:
METHOD OF PAYMENT
EVEN EXCHANGE

And the leftover balance on the second e-cert was listed also:
Delta Travel Voucher Passenger: bloc0102
Delta Voucher #: 0060544xxxxx
Document Expiration: 03JUL18
Original Ticket#: 0060878xxxxxx
Redemption Code: 0062183xxxxxx
Retain from Original Certificate
Fare 21.36USD
TOTAL 21.36 USD
Refer to Delta Travel Voucher number for future travel. Non refundable/ Non Endorsable/ Valid on Delta only. To redeem this voucher for future travel please visit delta.com/redeem.

Diplomatico Jan 19, 18 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by oakland (Post 29311176)
I didn't get much of an answer on the CLEAR information thread so will ask here too as Delta has partnered with CLEAR for discounted memberships.

Has anyone tried using the 100$ Amex travel credit for a 99$ (or 79$) CLEAR membership via your SkyMiles number? If yes, then did it get reimbursed as an incidental air travel purchase?

Since you'd be paying CLEAR directly, I don't see how that would translate to an airline incidental credit. Yes, you get a discounted membership but it isn't Delta that's selling it to you - it's another company.

np Jan 19, 18 10:24 pm

Strategy around 3 GC per flight?

Question for you all:

The problem with DL is they limit you to 3 GCs per flight transaction. How about doing the following you have say 8 or more $50 certs?

1) Buy a flight for around $150-$160 and use 3 $50 GC to make the purchase and the residual with a credit card.
2) Within 24 hours refund the ticket as they are refundable within 24 hours without a fee.

Does the refund come back as 1 $150 GC or a ticket credit to be used later? Do this a few times to consolidate your credits into one? Has anyone tried this?