FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

bgriff Feb 7, 18 2:53 pm

Random thought but I am realizing that now that the Amex Platinum gives 5x points on airfare, I might be better off in future just waiting until the end of the year to buy gift cards instead of doing it in January -- I always used to do it in January since I would never think to remember to use my Amex Platinum when I happened to have change fees and other qualifying charges during the year, but now with the 5x points on airfare the Platinum card is the first one I go to for any airline spend.

I actually ended up having a $100 change fee that I made at the same time as buying gift cards without even thinking about it, and the change fee happened to be reimbursed first and thus some of the gift cards did not. (I'm no worse off on net, but simply pointing out that if I had waited, I could have not bothered to have the hassle of holding gift cards altogether.) And of course, sometimes the credit is automatically awarded for other types of routine spending that aren't officially supposed to qualify, like award ticket fees and particularly cheap fares.

knit-in Feb 7, 18 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Rainyjason (Post 29389897)
hi and thank you! Yup, got two $100 on April 19th 2017 and my reimbursement credit got posted on the 23rd of April. But you'e saying $50 increments work?

Yes, $50 gift cards are reimbursed barring a few that did not at the end of last year because of how they were purchased (check wiki at the top of the thread)

DeltaAddict Feb 7, 18 11:51 pm

My lucky day bought my mother in law $219 RT ticket on 2/4 and got reimbursed full $200 on 2/6. I was not expecting this. Guess I'm done for the year 😀

barney44 Feb 8, 18 8:32 am

Went 8/8 on 50.00 gift cards. I have two Platinums.

On one, I did get charged for Travel Delay and Travel Insurance so I had to request a credit 8 times which was also allowed.

knit-in Feb 8, 18 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaAddict (Post 29392745)
My lucky day bought my mother in law $219 RT ticket on 2/4 and got reimbursed full $200 on 2/6. I was not expecting this. Guess I'm done for the year 😀

Wow! ^

And here I was hoping to get credit for two $95 charges as award fees that I didn't-- going on ten days or so.

Very inconsistent, unfortunately.

haoxli Feb 9, 18 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Rainyjason (Post 29389447)
Sigh.... tried to purchase 2x $100 gc on delta using my MacBook and amex plat did not reimburse me :( shows as delta Atlanta or something but it' been 9 days already.. DO NOT BUY IN $100s.... my fault... I did this last year and it worked but Idk why it didn' work this time

Did you get yours reimbursed yet? I did mine in 4x50 in separate dates, still waiting.

NOLAnwGOLD Feb 9, 18 7:45 pm

Has any tried with a Hilton Aspire which has the $250 airline fee benefit?? Seems you can buy up to 5 ecerts at a time with Delta. I assume everyone did 4 x $50 due to the $200 benefit for other cards

mia Feb 9, 18 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD (Post 29400052)
Has any tried with a Hilton Aspire ...

Yes, begin regin reading HERE.

krazykanuck Feb 9, 18 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff (Post 29391300)
Random thought but I am realizing that now that the Amex Platinum gives 5x points on airfare, I might be better off in future just waiting until the end of the year to buy gift cards instead of doing it in January -- I always used to do it in January since I would never think to remember to use my Amex Platinum when I happened to have change fees and other qualifying charges during the year, but now with the 5x points on airfare the Platinum card is the first one I go to for any airline spend.

I actually ended up having a $100 change fee that I made at the same time as buying gift cards without even thinking about it, and the change fee happened to be reimbursed first and thus some of the gift cards did not. (I'm no worse off on net, but simply pointing out that if I had waited, I could have not bothered to have the hassle of holding gift cards altogether.) And of course, sometimes the credit is automatically awarded for other types of routine spending that aren't officially supposed to qualify, like award ticket fees and particularly cheap fares.

The worry in my mind is that Amex will change how they code for reimbursements, or Delta will change how they code gift cards, or whatever. I'm in the camp that I like to cash out calendar year reimbursements as early as possible because as history has shown, the Amex reimbursements don't get easier over time (save for the brief period where they thought MPX transactions were reimbursable for United). I mean UA is essentially dead, AS is dead.

haoxli Feb 10, 18 10:23 am

Originally Posted by haoxli (Post 29398773)
Did you get yours reimbursed yet? I did mine in 4x50 in separate dates, still waiting.

credit just posted, statement says the 9 Feb, purchased on 7 Feb. Has anyone tried the $200 GC yet?

vbscript2 Feb 10, 18 10:17 pm

Kind of amusing one: I purchased a round-trip flight for $312.60. I had a $300 Delta gift card that I had purchased with an AmEx Offer that I applied toward the flight, then put the rest on my Platinum Card for the 5x points. The $12.60 was reimbursed under the fee credit. Wasn't expecting that, by, hey, I'll take it.

4sallypat Feb 11, 18 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by haoxli (Post 29401619)
credit just posted, statement says the 9 Feb, purchased on 7 Feb. Has anyone tried the $200 GC yet?

Can you buy one $200 GC instead buying 4x $50 GC ??

mia Feb 11, 18 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by 4sallypat (Post 29405829)
Can you buy one $200 GC instead buying 4x $50 GC ??

Overwhelming evidence is that giftcards in any denomination larger than $50 are not reimbursed. Please review the wikipost at the top of the thread before proceeding.

bluestrudels Feb 14, 18 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29405882)
Overwhelming evidence is that giftcards in any denomination larger than $50 are not reimbursed. Please review the wikipost at the top of the thread before proceeding.

This might be a really silly question, but can I get some help here?
Trying to purchase the egfitcards from Delta website.
I signed in, put in all my info. The moment I hit confirm, the page just refreshes itself without sending me any confirmation.
I'm purchasing with a AMEX bis card here, what am I doing wrong?

This is really frustrating, as the webpage itself doesn't prompt me any error message whatsoever.
I also tried using different browser for the payment, it gives me the same problem in purchasing.
Is there like a hotline to call to make this gift card purchase?

mia Feb 14, 18 4:17 pm

Have you tried the transaction using a Private or Incognito browser window?