Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
*** Limited time offer ***
Amex EveryDay 15000 MR points after $1000 in 3 months

The 15,000 MR points offer is still available via referral from someone who already has the card. See or ask for this in the discussion. Or look at the Amex referral page: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...posting-3.html.

These are the direct links on americanexpress.com. I have not scoured the internet to seek better offers. Note that both offers include this standard language:

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
Opening the application link in a Private or Incognito browser window, and not supplying any information about existing accounts, should prevent American Express from identifying you as currently having a card during the application process. They can still instantly determine this using your Social Security number, but in practice this may not occur.

Everyday Preferred (Groceries 3X, Gasoline 2X, General 1X; 50% bonus for 30 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 15,000 POINTS
Get 15,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
$95 Annual Fee
--------------

Everyday (Groceries 2X, General 1X; 20% bonus for 20 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 10,000 POINTS
Get 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.†

ANNUAL FEE
NO ANNUAL FEE
**You can now do a product change from AMEX Blue to the regular fee free AMEX EveryDay card. Unsure about other AMEX products that you can change TO the EveryDay card** This would probably preclude you from receiving any sign-up bonus, but moving from the Blue to this card is a + for some.

Use this calculator to work out whether you're better off with the preferred or regular card.
Print Wikipost

American Express "Everyday" Cards (2014 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by exarkun
I applied for and received the everyday card last fall. Can I apply for and receive the everyday preferred while still having the everyday card still open?
Yes, one does not affect the other. Same with Blue Cash or any other similar Amex cards you see.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mhdena
Yes, one does not affect the other. Same with Blue Cash or any other similar Amex cards you see.
And you know that from personal epxerience?

Unlike other Amex cards, people have posted multiple times about being denied an EDP after getting an ED or vice versa (on the grounds that they couldn't have both, not on general credit denial grounds). I don't remember seeing a single data point yet about someone getting both successfully, while many data points of people failing to get both.

Thus it seemed as if Amex was treating the relationship between the two Everyday points cards quite differently than the relationship between any other two cards in their whole lineup!

So do you have actual data on ED + EDP, or are you just speculating that it "has" to be the same as other pairs of Amex cards? : confused:
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by sdsearch
And you know that from personal epxerience? confused:

Yes sir/ma'am.

No offense but your knowledge of the Amex card lineup, doesn't seem to be on par with the other banks cards you like to cite.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Yes sir/ma'am.

No offense but your knowledge of the Amex card lineup, doesn't seem to be on par with the other banks cards you like to cite.
Different from mine experience. I applied both last Sunday. Only the everyday version approved. I tried multiple recon agent and they all refused to approve the preferred one for me, citing I can't have both ED and EDP.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by mediator
Different from mine experience. I applied both last Sunday. Only the everyday version approved. I tried multiple recon agent and they all refused to approve the preferred one for me, citing I can't have both ED and EDP.
I didn't realize this was even a "rule" for some. I was approved for the ED card in fall of last year (with 25k bonus) and then applied and was approved for the EDP in January of this year and received a 30k bonus. Both cards still open, neither were targeted offers.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes sir/ma'am.

Well, as you can see the post below yours (which is the most common kind of post I've seen before you recently chimed in about ED + EDP application attempts with a vague "it's possible"), there is definitely a problem with trying it "too soon". So as a self-proclaimed expert on Amex cards, please explain to those who are interested how long you have to wait after getting one before you can successfully get the other.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:41 pm

I'm no expert, I was responding to this,

" Originally Posted by exarkun View Post
I applied for and received the everyday card last fall. Can I apply for and receive the everyday preferred while still having the everyday card still open?"

And then there's the post #785
"I didn't realize this was even a "rule" for some. I was approved for the ED card in fall of last year (with 25k bonus) and then applied and was approved for the EDP in January of this year and received a 30k bonus. Both cards still open, neither were targeted offers."

I believe those being denied are attempting to get them so close together they look like duplicates.

There is no loophole exploitation with these cards like the AA or AS cards.

Probably waiting for a statement to close would be a good time to wait if someone wanted to have them both at the same time.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:44 pm

You may have fallen into the 5 day wait between credit card apps, a charge card or 2 is OK on the same day plus a credit.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
You may have fallen into the 5 day wait between credit card apps, a charge card or 2 is OK on the same day plus a credit.
Not the 5-day wait issue I believe. Here is my time line:
4/17 applied for both ED and EDP, both went to call Amex page
4/18 called AMEX and got approved for ED; rep said can't process EDP unless I wait for 5 days from 4/17.
4/23 called AMEX recon and resubmit EDP. Rep said my application went to underwriting for review.
4/28 Online status showed application has been cancelled. Called recon line multiple times, was told the same thing: can't have both ED and EDP.

So the take home message is ED and EDP are the same-ish product and can't have both.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:59 pm

So the take home message is ED and EDP are the same-ish product and can't have both.
To close together it seems, all the successful reports are spaced further apart than yours.

I didn't realize this was even a "rule" for some. I was approved for the ED card in fall of last year (with 25k bonus) and then applied and was approved for the EDP in January of this year and received a 30k bonus. Both cards still open, neither were targeted offers.
Old May 1, 2016, 1:46 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by bodiddely
Is there any way to tell which transactions are categorized as what (for bonus purposes) for the EDP? It's not apparent from my statement. Looking online at my posted transactions, standalone 7-11's are categorized as "Category: Merchandise & Supplies - Groceries" -- does that reliably mean I'm earning 3/4.5X MR on my EDP? But then under the description details, it says "GAS/MSC95 99616813" so I'm not sure if it's considered gas or grocery.
7-11 doesn't give you any extra points. It codes as gas for Visa/MC/Disc only.
Codes as groceries for Amex, but only 1 point.
Old May 1, 2016, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by yugi
Some 7-11s here are coded as gas and give me 2x on my EDP. Others do not and I get 1 point. Might have something to do with corporate vs franchised stores. Almost all 7-11s here offer gas.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yugi
No, it depends on the individual 7-11 store how it codes. Some code as gas whether they sall gas or not, some code as groceries, and some may code as even something else. (And perhaps some change coding over time.)

If you don't use the exact same 7-11 store with a Visa/MC/Disc vs Amex, you can't come to a valid conclusion that it codes differently for Amex than the others.
Old May 2, 2016, 12:36 am

Does anyone know if the 20 purchases bonus applies to the signup bonus of the card? Let's say I have the 10k signup bonus, and I also meet the 20+ purchases, do I get the 12k MR?
Old May 2, 2016, 12:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sungchiahao
Does anyone know if the 20 purchases bonus applies to the signup bonus of the card?
Does not apply

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.