Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Infinite1K
FAQ
Q: Where is the lounge?
A: Terminal 3, F concourse, right by Gate F2 (formerly gate 75) and the F-1 security checkpoint (that has PreCheck, sometimes).

Q: Can I visit there if I'm departing from another terminal?
A: Absolutely. Security at SFO will let passengers departing from any concourse at SFO go through security in any concourse, even ones that aren't connected behind security. At the moment, Terminal 3 concourses E and F, and International Terminal concourse G are connected airside to the Centurion lounge. Some other concourses are connected to each other airside, but not to the point that you can walk airside to the Centurion. However, with a PreCheck security lane right next to the entrance to the lounge, it can be quite easy to clear security twice if necessary.

Q: Can I visit if I'm arriving at SFO?
A: It depends. If you're arriving in the aforementioned concourses E, F, or G, then yes, but only if you have a connecting flight. If you're arriving in one of the other concourses, then security at SFO won't let you clear into E, F, or G without a boarding pass departing SFO that day. If you're arriving internationally, again, you'd need a same-day SFO departing boarding pass to clear security.

Wines by electronic pour
What have you found?
  • Add wine and date please
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:54 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Majuki
There is no way I'm announcing my SSN at the check in desk of a Centurion Lounge.
They will discreetly ask you to write it on a piece of paper, and then return it to you.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by dayone
They will discreetly ask you to write it on a piece of paper, and then return it to you.
Even worse. Not worth it for some heat lamp food, IMO.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: Amex Personal Centurion, Amex Business Centurion(cancelled), Merril+, CitiGold, JP Morgan Palladium
Bose Wireless speakers

Originally Posted by sdix
Headphones last month. Nothing so far this.
Traveled thru the SFO Centurion lounge on Dec 22nd and was told they HAD given out Bose Wireless speakers at the beginning of the month!! Anyone get one?? Seems like they are limiting gifts to days or even WEEKS prior to holiday travel in order to minimize the number of gifts given out. I'm sure they probably only had a few to give out and basically ran out before the holidays... Centurion card holders are again getting the short end of the stick with these holiday gifts...
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Majuki
Even worse. Not worth it for some heat lamp food, IMO.
IME the food rotates in and out so quickly the heat lamps are not relevant.

Besides, your entire SSN (not just last four digits) has likely already been compromised in one of the multiple large scale data breaches, including particularly Equifax.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Was in the SFO lounge on January 2nd at around 11am and expected the worst as there were a ton of people returning from vacation. The place was half full. Usually, the desk attendants try to find me a place to sit but they didn't even get up and just waved me on since it looked like easy seating.

Could be because of the new restrictions on guests, seems to be working if that's the reason.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
3 hour rule strictly enforced this morning. We showed up 15 minutes early and were asked to come back. FWIW, the lounge appeared very, very full.

Oh well, some crab eggs Benedict at the Yankee Pier sounds good...
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by work2fly
3 hour rule strictly enforced this morning. We showed up 15 minutes early and were asked to come back. FWIW, the lounge appeared very, very full.

Oh well, some crab eggs Benedict at the Yankee Pier sounds good...
Don't run into this much as this is my home hub but I am a bit surprised. However, Saturday mornings there are horrible. You were probably better off at the Yankee Pier :-)
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
Don't run into this much as this is my home hub but I am a bit surprised. However, Saturday mornings there are horrible. You were probably better off at the Yankee Pier :-)
But Saturday afternoons are sublime! I'm in the CL now, and there are < 50 guests here. No wait at the bar! ^
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: Global Entry/TSA PreCheck
Over the past six months or so, I have been lucky enough to change my flying behavior and fly private most of the time. And with the recent changes at Centurion Lounges, I am very grateful for that. Today was the first day I used the SFO Centurion Lounge since the three-hour time rule began. I arrived at the Lounge at 11:30PM, which was exactly 10 before I was allowed to be admitted (2:40PM departure time). The three-hour rule was strictly enforced, and I had to wait in the United terminal for 10 minutes. At 11:40AM, I was admitted into the Lounge. It was approximately 90% full. (The last time I was at the SFO Lounge was on a Saturday, and the people at the front desk had commented about Thursdays being the worst.) Most of the empty seats were the second seat at a table where a single person was sitting. (Basically, only seats where you would have to share a table with a stranger were open.) Luckily, someone got up as I was looking for a table, so I got a tiny table for myself. (The table was so small that nobody else would even attempt to sit on the other empty seat at the table.)

CORRECTION: If you count the cheap plastic seats lined up against the walls around the Lounge, then the place was far less than 90% full. But without a table to place food/drinks on, those seats are highly-undesirable, and I saw nobody using them.

As for the food, they had saffron chicken, brown rice, tomato basil soup, spicy lentil stew, sauteed kale, brussel sprouts, and basic sald fixings. For dessert, panna cotta with berries and chicolate chip cookies were available. Amazingly (considering how crowded the place was), there was only one person ahead of me in line at the bar to get my sodas. And, yes, the coffee machine was functioning properly.

With the three-hour admittance policy and the inability to enter upon arrival (which I occasionally used in Las Vegas), I am more glad than ever to pay a bit more for a private flight and just try to avoid Centurion Lounges as much as possible. So, yes, American Express has reduced my usage of their Lounges to clear up space for others. I still have to do the calculation on whether I’ll keep my personal Platiunum card or not.

Last edited by Finagler; Jan 31, 2019 at 1:34 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Finagler
Over the past six months or so, I have been lucky enough to change my flying behavior and fly private most of the time. And with the recent changes at Centurion Lounges, I am very grateful for that. Today was the first day I used the SFO Centurion Lounge since the three-hour time rule began. I arrived at the Lounge at 11:30PM, which was exactly 10 before I was allowed to be admitted (2:40PM departure time). The three-hour rule was strictly enforced, and I had to wait in the United terminal for 10 minutes. At 11:40AM, I was admitted into the Lounge. It was approximately 90% full. (The last time I was at the SFO Lounge was on a Saturday, and the people at the front desk had commented about Thursdays being the worst.) Most of the empty seats were the second seat at a table where a single person was sitting. (Basically, only seats where you would have to share a table with a stranger were open.) Luckily, someone got up as I was looking for a table, so I got a tiny table for myself. (The table was so small that nobody else would even attempt to sit on the other empty seat at the table.)

As for the food, they had saffron chicken, brown rice, tomato basil soup, spicy lentil stew, sauteed kale, brussel sprouts, and basic sald fixings. For dessert, panna cotta with berries and chicolate chip cookies were available. Amazingly (considering how crowded the place was), there was only one person ahead of me in line at the bar to get my sodas. And, yes, the coffee machine was functioning properly.

With the three-hour admittance policy and the inability to enter upon arrival (which I occasionally used in Las Vegas), I am more glad than ever to pay a bit more for a private flight and just try to avoid Centurion Lounges as much as possible. So, yes, American Express has reduced my usage of their Lounges to clear up space for others. I still have to do the calculation on whether I’ll keep my personal Platiunum card or not.
Last two trips to LAS lounge was closed for repairs/upgrades or something. Don't run into the 3 hour rule at SFO as that is my base but the crowds for sure. I am planning on dumping my Plat card and my wife will keep hers. I just don't use it enough and I find them crowded. Of course YMMV.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:46 pm

When I fly out of SFO, it’s usually from T2. If the Centurion Lounge were in T2, the three-hour rule would be a bit less odious to me. But even with TSA PreCheck and the facts that I walk very quickly and travel very light, having to go from T3 to T2 makes me want to get to the Lounge earlier than three hours prior to departure so that I can leisurely make my way over to T2 for boarding.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
If you arrive three hours before and then stay 90 minutes, that leaves 30 minutes for the “leisurely stroll” plus another 60 minutes before departure. How long do you stay in the lounge?
nomad420 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by joe_miami
If you arrive three hours before and then stay 90 minutes, that leaves 30 minutes for the “leisurely stroll” plus another 60 minutes before departure. How long do you stay in the lounge?
That's a leisurely stroll alright. At a normal pace, it's less than 10 minutes from Centurion to T2 security.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:31 am

Obviously, what is a "comfortable" or "right" amount of time is going to vary from person to person based on personality, logistics, the way one is accustomed to being treated, etc. For me, 3-and-a-half hours (from Lounge entry to flight departure time) feels just about right at SFO. This builds in enough extra time for me to feel secure that, even with unexpected circumstances, I will not have any issues. There are very few things in my life that are as time-sensitive as catching a flight before it departs, and I build extra slack into my timing to ensure no substantial errors are made. At the same time, for me specifically, three hours feels like more than enough time at LAS. And, for me, entry to the Lounge upon arrival at SFO is almost completely irrelevant, but entry to the Lounge upon arrival is occasionally useful at LAS. Clearly, American Express does not care what feels right for me specifically; American Express simply wants to create a black and white policy that can be easily and consistently enforced and that will not upset a significant number of customers to the extent that it affects their bottom line. My whole point is that I am uncomfortable and unsatisfied with American Express' new policy. I am accustomed to being treated better by other businesses. I can now make a decision about whether this change in policy is enough to change my business relationship with American Express. The calculation is going to be different for each person. I am in no way telling others how they should feel or what they should or should not do.

Last edited by Finagler; Feb 1, 2019 at 1:18 am
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: United Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Anyone have recent experience using the shower in the lounge? I've read there's only one shower so I can imagine horrendous wait times. I'm hoping to use it on Wednesday during my 4 hour layover at SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.