Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Death Spiral of the Centurion Card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
And how, pray tell, do you believe Amex would fund that? Certainly, their business model likely assumes some revenue from paid day passes.

If Amex made this Plat/Cent only and free to us, do you really believe your annual fee would stay the same? Think about it, previously Amex was paying airlines "swipe fees" for cardholder access. Now they are having to take on the operational expenses of acquiring/leasing physical lounge space, building out said space, hiring and training employees (and covering their benefits, etc), purchasing complimentary alcohol and food, I could go on and on.

Does anyone really believe those costs are less than the swipe fees they were paying? Does anyone really believe Amex desired this outcome? Seriously?

These changes have far more to do with airlines taking back control of their "premium" products than with Amex not being willing to pay the airlines to maintain the access.

Regards
While I agree that this is outcome is the one Amex desired, I'm not sure I completely agree with you that this is fundamentally far more expensive and that day passes are necessary. We don't know how many day passes they're selling; I can't imagine all that many since most people probably a) don't know these exist and b) don't want to spend $50 a person (even with nice F&B). Which would mean that the revenue from the day passes may not be that great. To be fair though, if they're not selling that many day passes, then non-plats/centurions aren't really filling up the lounges.

In terms of costs, agree that there are some big fixed costs and also some pretty decent variable costs (i.e. labor), but the marginal cost of an entry is going to be pretty low (figure a couple dollars for food and drinks). If they were paying a high enough swipe fee to the airlines (I sort of remember hearing somewhere on hear that it was in the $20 range) then this might not be all that much worse for Amex. I honestly have no idea, since I don't know what rents, labor, etc go for in an airport but I could see a hypothetical situation where, if the numbers are large enough, this is better/not much worse for them.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by mb24335
What would you guys think if Amex took the idea of the Centurion Clubs and extended them into the city? I'm thinking something like the Princeton/Yale Club in NYC where you could entertain clients or have lunch meetings.

I'd suggest that it would be open only to Centurion card holders to keep it relatively traffic free. Maybe put one in NYC, SFO, ORD, LAX, LON to start.

While it wouldn't fall strictly into the travel category, it could rebuild some loyalty if Centurion holders considered it as their go-to place to have a lunch or dinner meeting with clients. Thoughts?
Not sure why Amex would want to get into a market where there are plenty of well-developed options. Why not just join one of those clubs? Those clubs usually have affiliatiations with other clubs around the world, so don't even have a huge need for an "Amex network" of them.

Plus, the costs of developing a club, in an area where that would be desired (i.e. around Grand Central in NYC), would be astronomical. I'd rather them spend their money developing things in places where there is less quality competition (i.e. airports).
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by aa4ever
... but the marginal cost of an entry is going to be pretty low (figure a couple dollars for food and drinks).
The cost for F&B will be much higher than this. A couple dollars per person would be fountain pop and pretzels.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by mb24335
What would you guys think if Amex took the idea of the Centurion Clubs and extended them into the city? I'm thinking something like the Princeton/Yale Club in NYC where you could entertain clients or have lunch meetings.

I'd suggest that it would be open only to Centurion card holders to keep it relatively traffic free. Maybe put one in NYC, SFO, ORD, LAX, LON to start.

While it wouldn't fall strictly into the travel category, it could rebuild some loyalty if Centurion holders considered it as their go-to place to have a lunch or dinner meeting with clients. Thoughts?
They did that in the 80's and they were all closed about 25 years ago. They were called, you guess it Centurion Club. By the way, no Centurion card existed at that time just the lowly Platinum Card.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: AMX CENT
Originally Posted by mia
I am amazed that you think the travel insurance benefit is any more real than the upgrades, breakfasts and credits which you have found to be an illusion. How many claims have you filed?
I happen to agree about the travel insurance. I have only filed one (thank god!). Broke my neck in a freaky accident on the beach while on vacay in Hawaii. Scary times. They took care of me and my family and arranged every single detail including having the ER aware that I was coming in. They then followed up with my wife on a few occasions to see if they were doing fine. Work travel insurance gave me the run around when I called, so hung up and remembered about the Amex benefits. I did not pay a cent and they did not hesitate to cover any of tests/consults including 3 CT scans + 1 urgent MRI.

Just my 2 cents. (and perhaps platinum card would have been the same...)
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
I'm still reasonably happy with my Oz Cent though my spouse hates it when they give away USD$500 hotel credits. It means I will have another trip planned to a Shangri-la, Orient Express, Raffles hotel etc. Our fees have doubled (twice the cost of the US Cent) but supps are still free. Yes benefits are eroding but will keep it until I can't travel as much.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by alveoli0
I happen to agree about the travel insurance. I have only filed one (thank god!). Broke my neck in a freaky accident on the beach while on vacay in Hawaii. Scary times. They took care of me and my family and arranged every single detail including having the ER aware that I was coming in. They then followed up with my wife on a few occasions to see if they were doing fine.
Is this US-based Cent travel insurance? For some reason, I didn't think we had emergency medical coverage on any US-based AmEx.

I have retained my UK-issued Platinum IDC specifically for the excellent medical coverage while traveling for which we also had a good experience. My husband had an emergency appendectomy while on vacation in the U.S. and the entire $30,000+ hospital visit was covered without our seeing a single bill or paying a cent out of pocket.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: IDC Centurion, US Amex Platinum, BA Gold card, HHonors platinum status.
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
They did that in the 80's and they were all closed about 25 years ago. They were called, you guess it Centurion Club. By the way, no Centurion card existed at that time just the lowly Platinum Card.

I remember those, I used to visit the one at Haymarket street when I was in London, they were giving me a hard time if I didnt wear a tie they were issuing
a black centurion card for accessing those clubs alone with the platinum card , thought I always use my platinum card for entry.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: AMX CENT
Originally Posted by SusanDK
Is this US-based Cent travel insurance? For some reason, I didn't think we had emergency medical coverage on any US-based AmEx.

I have retained my UK-issued Platinum IDC specifically for the excellent medical coverage while traveling for which we also had a good experience. My husband had an emergency appendectomy while on vacation in the U.S. and the entire $30,000+ hospital visit was covered without our seeing a single bill or paying a cent out of pocket.
Mine is Canadian.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Printed at the bottom of the latest statement:

Important changes to your [Canadian] Centurion Card Benefits

We are notifying you of important changes to your benefits. Please make sure that you also supply this information to any Supplementary Cardmembers on your account.

Removal of the Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Club Benefit

Effective March 31, 2014, complimentary enrollment in Cathay Pacific's Marco Polo Club Diamond membership will no longer be available as a benefit of your Card. Centurion members enrolled in the Marco Polo Club Gold membership prior to this date will receive a communication from Cathay Pacific with additional information.

Removal of the American Airlines Admiral's Club Lounges and US Airways Benefit

Effective March 21, 2014, Centurion members will no longer receive complimentary access to American Airlines Admirals Club and US Airways Club lounge locations.

Change to the Delta Sky Club Lounge Access Benefit

Effective May 1, 2014, Delta Air Lines will require visitors to pay an entry fee for additional guests. As a result, Centurion members will no longer receive complimentary admittance for spouses and children under age 21 or for up to two travelling companions. For the most current Delta Sky Club access and pricing policy, please visit Delta.com.

For more information on the Centurion Card benefits, please visit: americanexpress.ca/centurion.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Definitely, the US market and International Euro/Dollar cards aren't even the worst.

In Hong Kong the annual fee is now ~5000.00 USD and we get very, very little for it.
You get a black Centurion card. Isn't that worth all the money in the world? What do you get for a $5000 LV bag? Just a bag, right?

Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of National Car Rental benefit teleported to this thread where future readers are more likely to find it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...executive.html
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:23 am
Suspended

Centurion Hotel List is dead

Note from Amex Rep:

"I am sorry for the delay in the information regarding hotels in our program offering free nights. I was unable to secure a list of our free night hotel offers for you. . There is currently no reference list available for our <Centurion> card members to review. Not every hotel in our Fine Hotel and Resorts Program offers the free nights.

The free night offer program changes frequently due to individual hotel offer dates for the program.

The hotels offering the free nights are part of our Fine Hotels and Resorts Program. There are many hotels in a large number of cities offering a free night with a minimum stay requirement in certain room categories. "
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by Allvest
Note from Amex Rep:

"I am sorry for the delay in the information regarding hotels in our program offering free nights. I was unable to secure a list of our free night hotel offers for you. . There is currently no reference list available for our <Centurion> card members to review. Not every hotel in our Fine Hotel and Resorts Program offers the free nights.

The free night offer program changes frequently due to individual hotel offer dates for the program.

The hotels offering the free nights are part of our Fine Hotels and Resorts Program. There are many hotels in a large number of cities offering a free night with a minimum stay requirement in certain room categories. "
I think the rep may have been confused. The FHR program does a good job of showing which hotels are offering a free night, but I think that is not your exact question.

For example, last year I booked the Encore in Vegas for a conference. At the time they were running a promotion through FHR. Stay 3 nights and the 4th night is free. This is what the rep was referring to (I think). The hotels don't always offer that program. I was hoping that they would, but when I booked the Encore again last month it wasn't being offered. It was, however, being offered by other hotels on the strip.

So, I think the rep was saying that they don't have a list of hotels doing the "buy 3 get the 4th free" because it is always changing.

Were you asking about the MO free night?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GNALUZU
I think the rep may have been confused. The FHR program does a good job of showing which hotels are offering a free night, but I think that is not your exact question.

For example, last year I booked the Encore in Vegas for a conference. At the time they were running a promotion through FHR. Stay 3 nights and the 4th night is free. This is what the rep was referring to (I think). The hotels don't always offer that program. I was hoping that they would, but when I booked the Encore again last month it wasn't being offered. It was, however, being offered by other hotels on the strip.

So, I think the rep was saying that they don't have a list of hotels doing the "buy 3 get the 4th free" because it is always changing.

Were you asking about the MO free night?
This rep is a senior veteran with the customer service group. I asked her to find a list of Centurion Hotel benefits/participating properties, as they used to publish a catalogue of them. That was her response. I am sure she is not confused about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.