Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Death Spiral of the Centurion Card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:19 am

Thanks! That is the case, so I may drop his card for a while until we really feel we'd get benefit from it.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: Amex Canada Centurion (and all the fixings)...and 20,000,000+ misc. points/miles to spend!
Originally Posted by SusanDK
I'm thinking about dropping my spouse's card this year as it currently isn't worth the additional $2,500 to keep it. I'm only keeping mine based on the "once you drop Centurion card you may never ever get it back" rule cited by mia because I know this would be the case, particularly as I would not be willing to pay an initiation fee if I should want it back in future.

I assume that as long as I retain my Cent account, I can always re-add my husband in future, correct? And if so, am I always able to add him back at the annual fee only, without needing to pay an initiation fee for his card?
I'm waiting for Amex Canada to eliminate the free supplementary cent card. With all the cuts to benefits for US cardholders, I'm starting to feel like the Canadian offerings are even better, on the whole. With the free supplemental cent card, we get an extra person with Delta Gold, an extra free night at any fairmont property, extra suite upgrade vouchers at fairmont property, etc. Almost every cent benefit for he primary cardholder extends to the secondary. So, I'm waiting for them to either cut the free secondary card, or increase annual fee to 3,500. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:23 am

That's impressive. I didn't know any of the free supplementary cards offered the perks. I used to have an IDC Centurion which included the extra Cent for my husband and even an extra black card for business expenses, plus a bunch of extra Platinum and Gold cards for no additional fee. However, there were no airline elite perks nor extra hotel perks at that time (this is some years ago before the IDC Cent fee increased). It did give the extra Priority Pass, which IDC Platinum still does.

I would love to keep my husband's US Cent at the previous lower fee but the only thing it really gives us is DL Platinum for both of us and we don't get enough value from that with our current travel pattern for $2500. Maybe in future we would. Otherwise, we can manage fine with the hotel and Avis status just on my account.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion; SPG Plat
Aman benefit also gone

I've been told by two different CT reps that Amanhotels are no longer participating in the Centurion program. If Ritz Carlton is also gone and MO no longer offers free nights at any of its properties, the value of the Cent card (for me) has plummeted.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Originally Posted by SusanDK
I'm only keeping mine based on the "once you drop Centurion card you may never ever get it back" rule cited by mia
Not sure if that is very accurate. I have declined the card in 2010 because there were really no differences with Platinum.. and by then i had a free Platinum (Amex didn't make me pay annual fees).. so it was really not worth it.. I got a phone call from Centurion every 6 months telling me the invitation was still there.. till i decided to try it in 2012..
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:16 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Centurion
...The problem is once you drop Centurion card you may never ever get it back.
Originally Posted by tuchop
.. I got a phone call from Centurion every 6 months telling me the invitation was still there.. till i decided to try it in 2012..
I think these circumstances are different. American Express may hold open an invitation for a prospective cardholder, but there is anecdotal evidence that a Centurion cardholder who cancels is not automatically welcome to re-apply -and- that the initiation fee needs to be paid again if accepted a second time. This combination of uncertainty and expense is an effective technique to encourage Centurion cardholders to wait and see rather than cancel when benefits disappear.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:38 pm

Delta Platinum status has been devalued with the loss of Systemwide Upgrades, and loss of elite upgrades for transcon flights. At this point I'm actually looking forward to my Platinum "downgrade" in July.

What are other Centurion members choosing as their Medallion Choice for this year? The $200 voucher or 20,000 miles? The miles are valued higher than $200, but only if you have enough of them for an international J flight.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
Originally Posted by Centurion
...problem is once you drop Centurion card you may never ever get it back. I know many people who have the Centurion card and through it in the drawer to gather dust and use SPG Amex with a + six figure credit line
I'm one of those that lets the centurion gather dust but wont cancel on the "I wont get it back principle". All my spend has gone to Chase with a sprinkling onto the SPG. Whats amusing to me is that I took a decade of 7 figure per year spend elsewhere, and not a word from my "dedicated account manager".
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent, VS G, CO G, US Plat, IC Plat Amb
Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
I'm one of those that lets the centurion gather dust but wont cancel on the "I wont get it back principle". All my spend has gone to Chase with a sprinkling onto the SPG. Whats amusing to me is that I took a decade of 7 figure per year spend elsewhere, and not a word from my "dedicated account manager".
I've never heard of a Centurion "dedicated account manager" before. They do have dedicate travel counselors with CTS.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:40 pm
mia

Moderator action

Discussion of when US Airways status will end has been moved:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...oing-away.html
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Originally Posted by HaydenFive
I've never heard of a Centurion "dedicated account manager" before. They do have dedicate travel counselors with CTS.
They introduced me to my dedicated account manager a year after i got the card. Dedicated travel counselors are just for personalized trip plans, but you can really use anyone who's working at the time you phone American Express. But for the Account Manager, you have a direct line with her (in my case).
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by super-mileage-fan
Originally, Centurion was a win-win-win. What I mean by this, is that I would have never stayed at brands like Mandarin Oriental, Waldorf Astoria or St. Regis prior to having the black card and associated benefits. Now they are my favorite hotels. I started going out of my way to fly on DL, CO & US because I had status. I've had some good experiences.
I am the same way. I mostly used Hyatt until starting to use St. Regis with Centurion. That lead to use of SPG points and adding an SPG Amex and that lead to Hyatt being squeezed out for the most part and SPG taking them over.

Though I'm a Canadian Cent with Hilton Diamond via the card, I rarely stay at Hiltons just because the program seems to be of no value to me (I convert SPG and MR points to Aeroplan and redeem for mini-RTW). Even with the double dip, though I should probably crunch some numbers.

Used to be that almost any Starwood hotel though I stayed at I could find a 2 for 3 or 4 for 6, including St. Regis but that has dried up. But basically wherever I have a choice still of say a St. Regis vs. Mandarin Oriental, St. Regis wins because I am in this MR / SPG / Aeroplan axis... should they devalue this in some way I will go. The sideline is the SPG / Delta relationship where my revenue fares now go to Delta and the cross rewards get me some Aeroplan points via SPG as a result of flying Delta (which seems crazy but there you have it).

I'm obviously a group 2 person because I look at the benefit the card gives me. 2 times in my life did someone notice what it was and one of those was a US Airways lounge staffer and don't have to worry about that anymore I guess. So the wallet candy thing doesn't quite apply and I'll never rent a private jet. Basically the card has to remain to be a useful tool for travel in which case I will spend a lot on it and stick close to the partners.

I used to book more FHR hotels than I do now though, for the most part they started doing the math where:

Base Rate = x
FHR Rate = 1.33x
FHR Promotion = pay 3 nights get 4th complimentary!

*adjusted* FHR rate = 0.9975x

Look at the amenities... $100 spa credit to go towards a $500 massage. Uh no thanks. Continental Breakfast... ah great, a piece of bread and juice, value of one dollar, plus get it anyway with a lot of hotel status. Space-available upgrade is interpreted in an almost meaningless way a lot of the time. Your "preferred" room is 3 sq. ft. larger or something. 4pm checkout, already have it with hotel status. Can get 3pm in a lot of places just by asking anyway with no status. Benefits all vanish into smoke and mirrors. And this is with a "pay 3 stay 4" promotion on. Without the promotion often it can end up paying a lot more.

Look at the advance purchase rate direct on the hotel website, and can pay 0.8x.

Book the APR directly and don't have to call Cent travel and spoon feed the details over the phone. Sigh.

CHP though with St. Regis still has a lot of value if you can find a nice upgrade (though hotels in general have beaten the upgraders for the most part by offering 12 different room types with $20 difference per rate, then deny "specialty rooms" and suites often, or force you to argue at the front desk or check inventory and have a semantic fight over the meaning of the word "available").

The marketing people just in the end, always win by continuing to push the concept of an illusory product. Get people to pay for something that does not exist, but is only perceived to exist. That's very profitable because you don't have to provide a product and you make money for it. As long as suckers buy into it they will sell it. Ultimately enough people just have to cancel their cards for the product to go away.

Until then I'll keep looking for the ways the card is a tool. The travel insurance is very valuable to me, but I guess year over year I'm just moving more to my SPG card and getting more in bed with them. It's become a decision of "should I put this on my Centurion card and lose out on SPG points?" vs. what used to be an automatic spend.

Originally Posted by tingalex
I'm waiting for Amex Canada to eliminate the free supplementary cent card. With all the cuts to benefits for US cardholders, I'm starting to feel like the Canadian offerings are even better, on the whole. With the free supplemental cent card, we get an extra person with Delta Gold, an extra free night at any fairmont property, extra suite upgrade vouchers at fairmont property, etc. Almost every cent benefit for he primary cardholder extends to the secondary. So, I'm waiting for them to either cut the free secondary card, or increase annual fee to 3,500. Any thoughts?
Yes.

We are doomed.

I have to say though that they did do a good job in adding new benefits to the Canadian cards. Since I got the card along came Delta Gold status which was of real benefit to me. Also to Delta as they got all my revenue spending domestically instead of Air Canada. Cathay Pacific diamond is "nice" but frankly I see almost no value in it. It has gotten me two bottles of water, no upgrades, and just extra baggage. The Delta Gold has been far better so if you want me to give one up I will drop the Cathay and never look back.

Fairmont is particularly nice with their program. I use them a lot when they are available and some of the properties outside North America are spectacular.

Last edited by mia; Jan 9, 2014 at 6:51 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:54 am
mia

Originally Posted by tyberius
... illusory product. Get people to pay for something that does not exist, but is only perceived to exist. That's very profitable because you don't have to provide a product and you make money for it.

...The travel insurance is very valuable to me
I am amazed that you think the travel insurance benefit is any more real than the upgrades, breakfasts and credits which you have found to be an illusion. How many claims have you filed?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
I am amazed that you think the travel insurance benefit is any more real than the upgrades, breakfasts and credits which you have found to be an illusion. How many claims have you filed?
Agreed. There are far, far more cost effective ways to obtain travel insurance, if that is important to someone.

Regards
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, US Air Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
Agreed. There are far, far more cost effective ways to obtain travel insurance, if that is important to someone.

Regards
I think it's clear that everyone has the things that they value for their own situation/home airport/favorite hotel, etc.

For me, I never really realized there was an special travel insurance and I certainly haven't taken advantage of it.

But unlike tyberius, I love the FHR benefits. For the way I book, the price is frequently, though not always, similar. Usually breakfast ends up being a $60 or so credit which normally translates to a nice, cooked breakfast at a place where I would otherwise blanche at paying $25 for some eggs and bacon. When it's included, I love the perk.

Same goes for massages. They are not typically $500 in my experience. And while they aren't cheap, they are usually a pretty nice perk for my wife and when you knock $100 off are much more affordable.

Still, you don't need Centurion to get FHR. For me, I'm waiting another month or two to see how things shake out and then I will almost certainly downgrade to Platinum. The benefits just aren't worth the incremental money to me anymore. I've clung to it because of the "can't get it back" phenomena, but I can only take so many years of waiting for things to improve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.