Wiki Posts
Search

The Death Spiral of the Centurion Card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:51 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Centurion
Amex has ingeniously made the qualification or re-qualification requirements unknown for Centurion and added a initiation fee for Centurion. That is why people on Flyertalk are keeping the card. I can assure if both of these hurdles were eliminated or defined you would not hear that many complaints.
Agreed. When you've paid in the initiation fee and know that if you cancel you might not get the card back, even if you do 7-figures of spend, it really makes it tough to cancel. Combine that with the fact that if they opened it up to anyone who wanted to pay $10k their first year, they'd probably have a thousand people wanting to sign up (even if it's not "worth it"), gives Amex the upper hand... just sad that Amex is taking advantage of it's "best" customers rather than treating them right, IMO.

Originally Posted by stimpy
FI just spent a free night in a $2000 night suite, with free breakfast, free spa massage, free dinner and drinks, etc. That one night covered my annual fee. Then there are the Centurion clubs, especially the private Centurion rooms inside the clubs like the one at MEX. And of course the number one benefit is awesome customer service from Amex which really shows when things go wrong, like when your rental car is smashed in an accident.
WOW offer? Would you PM me the code? I have received no such benefits with 7-figure annual spend and 5 years as Centurion. Was that unique to you?

Also, what do you mean by their customer service? It's still a nightmare for me, even something as simple as purchase protection, you have to go through all the same hoops as everyone else. When your account has a suspected fraudulent transaction or security issue, they still transfer you to India or wherever for verification... it's a joke.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The airline credit is obviously better ($50 more; can be used towards airfare without playing games; and can be used towards any airline).
Towards airfare? For US Cent? Are you sure? Hasn't worked for me that way.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
Originally Posted by stimpy
For me it's the opposite. The benefits are increasing rather than decreasing. It depends on how you use these benefits. I'm surprised no one mentioned the awesome new Hertz Platinum benefit. That's been huge for me, nearly outclassing all the other benefits. The Hilton Diamond benefit is another one I use quite a bit. And some of the Wow offers are amazing. I just spent a free night in a $2000 night suite, with free breakfast, free spa massage, free dinner and drinks, etc. That one night covered my annual fee. Then there are the Centurion clubs, especially the private Centurion rooms inside the clubs like the one at MEX. And of course the number one benefit is awesome customer service from Amex which really shows when things go wrong, like when your rental car is smashed in an accident.

I understand that some of you are upset about the airline benefit losses, but not all of us needed those. I almost never used them because I already have top elite status in all 3 alliances, so it was no loss for me.

To have top tiers in all three alliances by BIS miles means that you are practically always on the road, either up in the air or in a mid way hotel. I envy your status, but not your life. Hope your Centurion membership has made your road warrior life a lot easier
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by b8b
Towards airfare? For US Cent? Are you sure? Hasn't worked for me that way.
No, for Citi prestige. The sub-discussion was about whether there was any real competition for the platinum card; my pointwas that not only does Citi Prestige compete with it, it's probably a better product for most.

The Centurion has no real competion, on the other hand (at least, not that I'm aware of)
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AmexCent
To have top tiers in all three alliances by BIS miles means that you are practically always on the road, either up in the air or in a mid way hotel. I envy your status, but not your life. Hope your Centurion membership has made your road warrior life a lot easier
I know someone who had elite status (not sure if it was top level) with all three as well when he was working as a consultant with one of the big consulting firms. They do a lot of international flights on first or business class and if you are living in Europe, it makes it even easier.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by b8b
WOW offer? Would you PM me the code? I have received no such benefits with 7-figure annual spend and 5 years as Centurion. Was that unique to you?
This is where Flyertalk pays off. You should be following our Wow thread here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...tes-gifts.html
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by AmexCent
Two of the alliances are effectively comped via lifetime status and the 3rd is easily retained each year thanks to a residence in continental Europe. So while I flew a lot in my younger days, I don't need to do it anymore to retain status. Ditto for hotels. And yes Centurion makes it a lot easier and a lot more fun!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
1. In no market does the Centurion card face competition. American Express' only motivation to maintain or improve the product is to avoid cancellations. Benefits are not added unless they are projected to improve account retention sufficiently to pay for themselves. This leaves benefits which are funded by merchants (such as retail giftcards). American Express probably makes money on these by charging the retailers for access to the Centurion customer base.
Agreed completely that Cent faces no real competition and also Amex's main goal is to get/keep customers, increase its profitability and at the same time not lose the exclusivity of Cent.

One thing that convinces me that while Cent has no real competition, it's mostly because JP Morgan, Citi, Merrill and even Barclays just aren't as committed to credit cards.

They actually are the most well positioned to not just offer great competition but make it even harder for Cent to compete with them as they have some of the wealthiest people as their clients thanks to their investment banking and wealth management businesses.

Let's look at the annual fee a bit differently for a second: Amex charges $2,500 per year. Citi requires minimum $50,000 deposit in the checking/savings account. Even when interest rates were high, banks make 3% to 4% spread on deposits. That's 2K of spread profit. Now, $50 is the minimum and most customers keep more than that.

The point I am making is because of the breadth of operations, the top four banks not only have existing clients that they can tap into but can get new clients if they offered a very premium card and run circles around Amex.

Practically, Citi or Chase/Merrill/Barclays could issue a card with benefits better than Centurion and charge less than half of what Amex charges!

A few things have happened in the last two years that makes me think we could have competition to Centurion: Banks have realized there is money to be made in CC. Second, because of digitization, banks want to control the ecosystem just the way Apple controls its ecosystem -- PayPal could potentially have half the market capitalization of Amex after it splits from ebay. And three, regulations after the financial crisis are forcing banks to take less derivatives and investment banking risk which is forcing them to look at other businesses to grow.

My bet is that Chase could focus on Palladium make it more mass market -- give out more benefits than Centurion (vs. Platinum like benefits) for $700 or even $1,000 a year but require clients to have a high minimum balance in their accounts vs. the current requirement where you need private banking relationship. The other bank is Citi. They already have Prestige which I think is as good if not better than Platinum in terms of palpable benefits.

For all we know, one of the banks is already trying out a card that gives better benefits at half the annual fee and make money from other relationships. The CC they issue would be a very high end loss leader.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 4:43 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by mia
1. In no market does the Centurion card face competition. American Express' only motivation to maintain or improve the product is to avoid cancellations. Benefits are not added unless they are projected to improve account retention sufficiently to pay for themselves. This leaves benefits which are funded by merchants (such as retail giftcards). American Express probably makes money on these by charging the retailers for access to the Centurion customer base.

2. In most markets the Platinum Card does not face sustained effective competition. This gives American Express a pool of profitable cardholders to which they can send Centurion invitations if the Centurion cancellation rate increases. This is more cost effective than increasing Centurion benefits. American Express competes with itself. It needs to differentiate Centurion from Platinum for this strategy to work.

3. American Express does not issue cards in Switzerland, they are issued under license by a bank. It appears that the issuing bank need not even offer the same benefits as American Express offers in other western European countries. I suspect this is because no other Swiss issuer offers a better product at similar price.
There is composition. VISA now has a similar card with similar benefits.

The airline changes are not totally AM Exs fault. AA has always refused such bened
Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BeatCal
... VISA now has a similar card with similar benefits.
VISA does not issue cards. What is the specific VISA card which you find competitive with American Express Centurion? In the USA there are many cards which compete on rewards, but they don't match American Express's benefits for more than a year or two, then they start to reduce because they don't have the scale to compete with American Express's large Platinum card customer base.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:37 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BeatCal
There is composition. VISA now has a similar card with similar benefits.

The airline changes are not totally AM Exs fault. AA has always refused such bened
If you're talking about the Visa Black, that's issued by Barclays. And it doesn't even come close to the Cent. The Amex Plat is a better, and cheaper, card than the Visa Black.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jediwho
... JP Morgan, Citi, Merrill and even Barclays just aren't as committed to credit cards.
At any point in time we can see a USA-issued card (or two) which looks competitive with American Express Platinum, but they don't last because they don't have the scale to provide the same depth of benefits year after year. Bank of America, Barclays, Chase and Citi have all introduced cards intended to compete with American Express Platinum, but they are hindered by their affiliation with MasterCard and VISA. The issuers must share revenue with the networks, and these networks were built by lowering merchant transaction fees, allowing the issuers to make most of their profit from finance charges, such as interest and foreign transaction fees. This isn't a good match with the demographic which will pay $400+ for a card.

American Express's model has been based on operating their own network with higher merchant fees, foreign transaction fees, and annual fees (including fees for supplementary cards.)

Other banks can tap into this higher revenue stream by issuing Amex-network cards. Bank of America, Barclays and Citi have done this, Chase has not. Bank of America and Citi even experimented with issuing top tier cards on Amex network, but backed away.

Until another issuer figures out a way to market a profitable card to compete against Platinum, American Express will have a pool of Centurion candidates which they can tap to replace those who cancel or downgrade.

Last edited by mia; Dec 15, 2014 at 8:25 am
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by United747
If you're talking about the Visa Black, that's issued by Barclays. And it doesn't even come close to the Cent. The Amex Plat is a better, and cheaper, card than the Visa Black.
Visa Thailand went to a product called Visa Exclusive (from Visa Signature). I have no idea what exactly that's supposed to accomplish, but it does offer a bunch of extra services. NONE come anywhere close to Amex Centurion, and barely touch Amex Platinum.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by mia
At any point in time we can see a USA-issued card (or two) which looks competitive with American Express Platinum, but they don't last because they don't have the scale to provide the same depth of benefits year after year. Bank of America, Barclays, Chase and Citi have all introduced cards intended to compete with American Express Platinum, but they are hindered by their affiliation with MasterCard and VISA. The issuers must share revenue with the networks, and these networks were built by lowering merchant transaction fees, allowing the issuers to make most of their profit from finance charges, such as interest and foreign transaction fees. This isn't a good match with the demographic which will pay $400+ for a card.

American Express's model has been based on operating their own network with higher merchant fees, foreign transaction fees, and annual fees (including fees for supplementary cards.)

Other banks can tap into this higher revenue stream by issuing Amex-network cards. Bank of America, Barclays and Citi have done this, Chase has not. Bank of America and Citi even experimented with issuing top tier cards on Amex network, but backed away.

Until another issuer figures out a way to market a profitable card to compete against Platinum, American Express will have a pool of Centurion candidates which they can tap to replace those who cancel or downgrade.
Operating your own network definitely has its advantages and disadvantages. I like to compare Amex and MC as Apple iOS and Google Android.

A few things have happened in the last few years that makes me more confident that the MC/Visa card issuers are close to, if not already, offering better rewards than Amex.

First, while MC/Visa take a share, they only take transaction fee, which is a flat fee and not based on value of transactions. So, if you do one transaction of $1,000, MC gets the same 5 or 10 cents and if you do a $1 transaction, they still get the same.

Second, merchant discount from MC is not the same anymore. Meaning, if the card is heavy, say like the Citi Prestige, they charge retailers more, almost approaching Amex levels.

Third, Amex merchant discounts have been coming down because they want to grab market share.....Amex and Discover are neck and neck and the fastest growing network is China's UnionPay. If you look at Amex's annual report over the years, you will see that merchant discounts are now some 30 or 40 bps more than what Visa charges.

Fourth, CC have always been a mass market game. Meaning, you are not making huge sums of money from one person but small amounts from many individuals.

Fifth, card issuers make money from four main sources: transaction fees, loans or credit lines, annual fees and using your info for target marketing. It is the fourth point where I think Citi/Chase has a massive competitive advantage. They don't need to sell your info to Rob Report.....they need to get you as your private client and they will make a hundred times the money that Amex makes from Platinum and Centurion cardholders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.