Wiki Posts
Search

The Death Spiral of the Centurion Card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:59 am
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by SteveT
You might also want to contact Amex EO about your situation.
How do you reach the American Express executive office?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:37 am

Programs: status free since 2017
I used to think this card was really something. Then I read first three pages of this thread.

I don't know of any *exclusive/unpublished* benefits but the major chunks seem to be getting stripped away from it. Is the cc really worth that kind of annual fee?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by b8b
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ve-office.html

Find names and titles here:

http://ir.americanexpress.com/od.aspx?iid=102700
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by b8b
800-297-6197
Mention to them that you tried talking to Centurion Customer Service to no satisfaction, etc.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I used to think this card was really something. Then I read first three pages of this thread.

I don't know of any *exclusive/unpublished* benefits but the major chunks seem to be getting stripped away from it. Is the cc really worth that kind of annual fee?
I think that a lot of people who covet this card do it not so much for the benefits, but for the wallet candy factor.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I think that a lot of people who covet this card do it not so much for the benefits, but for the wallet candy factor.
What delightful folks they must be to hang out with.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Then what the hell are they doing on a board for discussing credit card sign-up bonuses, $100 f/b credits and other "penny pinching" benefits (i use the term in great exaggeration).

If I could pony up $5000 for initiation and $2500/yr for wallet candy, I wouldn't need to be here.... although tough to beat the entertainment @FT.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Originally Posted by Sarah GabriElle Baker McConnell
Does anyone have Mark Savory's email address? I am having major issues with a crazy Centurion situation, and can't get anywhere with the "supervisors" who act like they can't help me. This, despite having been a Centurion member since 2000.
Here on FT, we like to hear about crazy Centurion situations...
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:45 am
Suspended

Then what the hell are they doing on a board for discussing credit card sign-up bonuses, $100 f/b credits and other "penny pinching" benefits (i use the term in great exaggeration).

If I could pony up $5000 for initiation and $2500/yr for wallet candy, I wouldn't need to be here.... although tough to beat the entertainment @FT.
Some people like to penny pinch. I like to give my business to establishments where I feel appreciated as a customer (not coddled, but just appreciated).

One of the best and easiest ways properties can show such appreciation is by providing bfst and lounge benefits, as well as upgrades to best available accommodation (incl. suites).

The MO benefit was great. I went out of my way to choose a MO property and even stayed at some for no other reason than to take a couple of days time out. Once there I spend money on dinners etc.

Properties and businesses appealing to Cent holders need to realize the opportunity to market is worth more than a cost to them. It's a win-win.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:48 am

Probably worth mentioning that the Sony Cierge program has ended. This was a rarely-mentioned, but extremely valuable benefit of Centurion, which saved me thousands and got me into some very exclusive events.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond

Some people like to be cheap no matter how much they make. This year with my 2 businesses, I'm making 20x more than I made as a lawyer 8 years ago. But I still like getting 100k AMEX sign up bonuses, churning cards, etc. Although I have gotten past manufactured spending now since that's just too time consuming.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:58 am
Suspended

The recent destruction of the Air Canada Aeroplan program might have just given a lift to the Centurion CX benefit (Diamond at 60K miles)
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:33 am

Above is for the US card ?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:07 am

Carsnocenas-To reply to your post the Centurion card at one time provided benefits that clearly were worth more than the annual fee. Partial Example.. Elite status on TWA,American,US Air, Continental, and SPG Platinum, and many other hotels. I could redeem the value of the card just by staying at ST REGIS properties where I would be upgraded to large suites that would handle my family versus getting two rooms. BAM! I just got the best room in the resort hotel for a very reasonable price. A free night at every Mandarin Oriental in the world. Obviously TWA and Continental are gone. Now you have people questioning the worth of the card and some people like me let it often sit in the drawer so it is not wallet candy. You would be surprised how many people pinch pennies well today it really is dollars. I think I may keep the card just to avoid having a customer service call sent to some other country as time is money but I hate people who actually say there time is worth x an hour. But I certainly do not use the Amex limo service and I do not use their private airplane service as you can do better on your own and save dollars. Sometimes thousands.

Last edited by Centurion; Oct 27, 2014 at 11:03 am
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:24 pm
bbd

Originally Posted by Centurion
Carsnocenas-To reply to your post the Centurion card at one time provided benefits that clearly were worth more than the annual fee. Partial Example.. Elite status on TWA,American,US Air, Continental, and SPG Platinum, and many other hotels. I could redeem the value of the card just by staying at ST REGIS properties where I would be upgraded to large suites that would handle my family versus getting two rooms. BAM! I just got the best room in the resort hotel for a very reasonable price. A free night at every Mandarin Oriental in the world. Obviously TWA and Continental are gone. Now you have people questioning the worth of the card and some people like me let it often sit in the drawer so it is not wallet candy. You would be surprised how many people pinch pennies well today it really is dollars. I think I may keep the card just to avoid having a customer service call sent to some other country as time is money but I hate people who actually say there time is worth x an hour. But I certainly do not use the Amex limo service and I do not use their private airplane service as you can do better on your own and save dollars. Sometimes thousands.
SPG Plat has been gone for a while now hasn't it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.