Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Death Spiral of the Centurion Card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Frankly, I am surprised that Delta and American Express did not decide to eliminate Platinum card access to SkyClubs. This could be a point of differentiation for the SkyMiles Reserve card which competes directly with AA and UA cards.
Rumor has it Citi's other high-end card may get Admirals Club access. Doesn't JP Palladium get United club access?

I think the trend may be heading in the other direction.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sdix
So January 1st I was actually expecting a communication from Amex about all the cool enhancements that they are offering Cent members. Silly me. Instead benefits get reduced then further reduced with todays DL (not Amex) announcement.

I'm holding our for Cent DL Plat status to be upgraded to Diamond. If this happens then that's equal to the new top tier lounge program so Cents would not loose guest privileges.

I guess I can only hope
Good grief, hope does indeed spring eternal with Centurion card holders. It's one of the only areas I've ever seen profit driven business people, who are employed by, or operate free market, customer serving businesses operate in a complete state of suspended belief.

As I said in post #39 of this thread (in response to you actually):

Originally Posted by scubadu
The "death spiral of the Centurion Card" actually began quite sometime ago...
Regards
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by Steve M
I don't. The Centurion Lounges are open to Platinum cardholders as well, which far outnumber Centurion cardholders.
I was referring to Amex's use of the word Centurion.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Demand for lounge space exceeds supply at peak times. A price increase is one way to restore balance. Another way is to increase capacity, which American Express seems to be doing by building the Centurion Lounge network.

It will be interesting to see if AA and UA follow DL's lead, introduce premium priced club membership levels, and strip guest privileges from the base level. I wonder if any airline has the technology to implement variable pricing for guests? It might make sense to charge a higher guest fee at peak periods.

Frankly, I am surprised that Delta and American Express did not decide to eliminate Platinum card access to SkyClubs. This could be a point of differentiation for the SkyMiles Reserve card which competes directly with AA and UA cards.
Amex Cent lounge at LAS today (10am) was over capacity. Maybe Amex needs a plan C
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by sdix
Amex Cent lounge at LAS today (10am) was over capacity. Maybe Amex needs a plan C
I just don't see how Cent lounges would scale. Previously, the Plat and Cent cards offered lounge access to multiple airlines, so demand could (at least in some airports) be spread across multiple lounges (AA/CO/DL) and as I've stated elsewhere, AA for example had four Admirals clubs in DFW alone.

I highly doubt Amex is going to take on the operational expenses to open multiple Cent lounges within the same airport and yet all Plat/Cent card holders will have access to one lounge.

This just doesn't scale IMHO.

Regards
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by scubadu
I just don't see how Cent lounges would scale. Previously, the Plat and Cent cards offered lounge access to multiple airlines, so demand could (at least in some airports) be spread across multiple lounges (AA/CO/DL) and as I've stated elsewhere, AA for example had four Admirals clubs in DFW alone.

I highly doubt Amex is going to take on the operational expenses to open multiple Cent lounges within the same airport and yet all Plat/Cent card holders will have access to one lounge.

This just doesn't scale IMHO.

Regards
From its inception, I thought the whole idea of the Centurion Lounge was flawed. I cringed when I first heard about it. Attaching the Cent name to a lounge that is open to so many people that it is frequently filled to capacity, as is the case in LAS, just further erodes the exclusivity of the Cent product and brand IMO.

If they're going to be in the lounge business, and I'm not saying they shouldn't be, they should follow the model used by many international airlines. Take BA's model, Terraces Lounges for Business Class passengers and/or ones with status, First Lounges for First Class Passengers, and the even higher tier Concorde Room for Transatlantic First Class Passengers. I think Amex should do something similar within their lounges. First off, call the lounges themselves simply, The American Express Lounge. Within the lounges, have two sections, a large American Express Traveler Lounge for Platinum members or people who paid to enter (Terraces equivalent) and a separate Centurion Lounge (First / Concorde Room equivalent) that is behind glass doors, exclusively for Cents. Besides addressing the issue of crowding, it would also end the tacky and awkward practice of them offering special drinks to Cents in front of other guests, as they do in LAS, "Sir, your black card entitles you to Johnny Walker Blue Label or 'good' Champagne, would you like to have either?"

Last edited by tjk1976; Jan 10, 2014 at 1:12 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by tjk1976
From its inception, I thought the whole idea of the Centurion Lounge was flawed. I cringed when I first heard about it. Attaching the Cent name to a lounge that is open to so many people that it is frequently filled to capacity, as is the case in LAS, just further erodes the exclusivity of the Cent product and brand IMO.

If they're going to be in the lounge business, and I'm not saying they shouldn't be, they should follow the model used by many international airlines. Take BA's model, Terraces Lounges for Business Class passengers and/or ones with status, First Lounges for First Class Passengers, and the even higher tier Concorde Room for Transatlantic First Class Passengers. I think Amex should do something similar within their lounges. First off, call the lounges themselves simply, The American Express Lounge. Within the lounges, have two sections, a large American Express Traveler Lounge for Platinum members or people who paid to enter (Terraces equivalent) and a separate Centurion Lounge (First / Concorde Room equivalent) that is behind glass doors, exclusively for Cents. Besides addressing the issue of crowding, it would also end the tacky and awkward practice of them offering special drinks to Cents in front of other guests, as they do in LAS, "Sir, your black card entitles you to Johnny Walker Blue Label or 'good' Champagne, would you like to have either?"
Or, easier, why not just make it plat/cent only? That would help ease some of the crowding, that is almost certain going to become worse with the new DL "enhancements."
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...Attaching the Cent name to a lounge that is open to so many people that it is frequently filled to capacity, as is the case in LAS, just further erodes the exclusivity of the Cent product and brand IMO...
The Centurion brand was used on clubs long before the Centurion Card existed:

Originally Posted by New York Times on 2.2.1986
WHEN Robert J. Shalhoub set up his New York City accounting practice, he decided to pay a $250 premium for an American Express platinum card, thinking it would give his fledgling business instant prestige. Instead, he found the reaction was mixed. ''Some clients were in awe,'' he recalls, ''but others would say, 'You sucker, you're paying $250 for what?' ''

The so-called ''premium cards'' offer a variety of services that may justify the fee for big spenders or frequent travelers. Mr. Shalhoub, for one, got a personalized, 24-hour toll-free travel service, customized billing privileges, check-cashing services, $500,000 of travel accident insurance and a complimentary membership in the Centurion Club, an international network of 25 private clubs. Beyond that, the platinum card confers on the holder ''unparalleled prestige worldwide,'' as the American Express Company puts it in promotional literature.
And some Centurion Clubs still exist outside the USA:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...h-gru-gig.html
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by mia

The clubs that I remember where all city clubs and they are all long gone.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by mia

Be that as it may, I still contend that attaching the name to a vanilla facility such as the LAS Centurion Lounge and filling it with every Tom, Dick, and Harry who has an Amex card or is willing to part with fifty bucks seriously dilutes the prestige and exclusivity of a card bearing the same namesake that costs $2500 a year. Just sayin'.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:22 pm

Be that as it may, I still contend that attaching the name to a vanilla facility such as the LAS Centurion Lounge and filling it with every Tom, Dick, and Harry who has an Amex card or is willing to part with fifty bucks seriously dilutes the prestige and exclusivity of a card bearing the same namesake that costs $2500 a year. Just sayin'.
Well, you are of course entitled to both your opinion and perceptions; I'm not going to try to dissuade you. But to be clear, "Centurion" or the Roman Gladiator, is essentially American Express Corporation's "logo" or mascot and has been since 1958. The "Centurion" logo is basically on all Amex charge cards (i.e. Green/Gold/Platinum) not just the Centurion card.

I believe in this case, the naming is an extension of their corporate branding, and not the card. In fact, I'd submit most average "Joe Sixpack" Americans absolutely recognize the logo and have no idea the Cent card exists. Additionally, since we are having this discussion in a thread titled "The Death Spiral of the Centurion Card" and many Cent card holders in this thread willing admit they continue to hold the card out of "fear of letting" it go than out of any real rational belief that the card is any longer worth the money, I'm not sure how much "prestige or exclusivity" this card has remaining.

Regards
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by nall
Rumor has it Citi's other high-end card may get Admirals Club access. Doesn't JP Palladium get United club access?

I think the trend may be heading in the other direction.
Palladium primary cardholder gets a full United Club membership. In addition, they get Lounge Club with unlimited (AFIK) free guests. Citi AAdvantage Exec currently gets Admirals Club access (2 guests or cardholder + family).

Given how the corresponding thread on the Delta forum has blown up, I would think either UA or AA could easily poach some elites from DL right now.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by HookemHorns
Given how the corresponding thread on the Delta forum has blown up, I would think either UA or AA could easily poach some elites from DL right now.
Do not for a moment kid yourself. Every month one of these airline threads is "blowing up" over some perceived injustice (most recently the venom has been directed at UA). This is a race to the bottom my friend. If you don't think all three of the remaining domestic carriers aren't thinking about all these same strategies (e.g. will AA follow UA/DL and add a revenue component to elite status qualification?) I'd say you aren't paying attention to the long term trend.

Repeat after me, "travel isn't going to be as fun as the good old days"

Regards
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by HookemHorns
Palladium primary cardholder gets a full United Club membership. In addition, they get Lounge Club with unlimited (AFIK) free guests. Citi AAdvantage Exec currently gets Admirals Club access (2 guests or cardholder + family).
I was referring to the Citi Prestige, which is rumored to have AC in the near future.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:29 pm

Well if you can get into a Centurion lounge with a Cent card, Amex Plat or 50 bucks.
Who's the sucker in that exchange.
Looks like a lot of Cents are way overpaying for Amex Plat benefits.

It's beginning to look like all the posers who color their Plat cards black to look like Cent Cards may have actually had it right all along (other than still being a poser)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.