Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Print Wikipost

Applying for 2 or more AMEX cards on the same day.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:58 am

AMEX Application Processing?

So, on Sunday, I applied for a SPG Preferred card (from the AMEX Pre-Qualified page after putting in my information) and I got two messages:

The first one was:

"Thank You for applying for the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card. In order to provide you with an instant decision, we need to speak with you. We are available to assist you during our Hours of Operations: Monday-Friday 8AM to Midnight, Saturdays 9:30AM to 9PM, and Sundays 10AM to 9PM Eastern Time.

Please call us at 1-800-582-6471 to be connected directly to a Customer Care Professional who will provide you with a decision. To expedite your call, please refer to your individual tracking number.

If you are unable to speak with us now, print this page, and call us during our Hours of Operation. We will finalize your application when you call. If we don't hear from you, we will attempt to contact you in the next 2-3 days."

Then, I got an email saying this:

"We are excited that you've decided to apply for the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card, and we're reviewing your application now. We promise to let you know when we're finished, or if we need more information.
While we're reviewing your application, please don't apply for another Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card. Thank you for your interest in American Express."

Btw, I also applied for AMEX Everyday (no AF) card and was instantly approved on the same day.

So I called AMEX. The CSR didn't give me instant decision. He said the SPG application was on hold because I applied for two cards in the same day. I thought I did different days...I think that's because my timezone was different from the system's timezone.

He said the application will be processed and finalized after 5 days (Feb. 19th) since I had applied for two cards on the same day.

Does anyone know what to make of this? Is this a denial?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by wildchartermage
... Is this a denial?
No, it's what often happens when applying for two cards on the same day (scroll back to read previous reports). The five day delay allows them to see what else you applied for because they will perform another credit inquiry.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by mia
No, it's what often happens when applying for two cards on the same day (scroll back to read previous reports). The five day delay allows them to see what else you applied for because they will perform another credit inquiry.
Oh no, so they will do another hard pull? I've applied for a Chase card last week, so I think there might be one new inquiry on my Experian from Chase.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: SPG, Nexus, Aeroplan, AMEX MR, BA Avios
Or they just want to make sure its you who has been deliberately trying to apply for 2 cards in the same day, so they need to verify with you over the phone to make sure its not a fraudulent issue.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by jwongathon
Or they just want to make sure its you who has been deliberately trying to apply for 2 cards in the same day, so they need to verify with you over the phone to make sure its not a fraudulent issue.
I already identified myself over the phone, but they didn't give me instant approval...maybe it's just that the 5 day thing can't be overridden? On the upside, he did say if I was approved, they will expedite shipping the card to me because I'm leaving the country on Feb. 27th.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: DL PM
Just came across this thread. I applied for two personal cards - PRG and Delta Plat within a few minutes of each other. Both approved instantly. Single pull.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:11 am

Sharing my experience, hope it helps.

26 DEC 15 - Chase SP - Instant approval $8k
28 DEC 15 - Chase Freedom - Instant approval $4k
11 FEB 16 - Amex Plat - Instant approval $4.5k
12 FEB 16 - Amex SPG - Instant approval $2k
12 FEB 16 - Chase Marriot - Pending 7-10 notice
12 FEB 16 - Citi HHonors - Instant approval $11k
13 FEB 16 - Amex HHonors - Got pending msg, called in and after verifying info got approved. $10k

Income $60k for 2015 apps, $80K for 2016 apps.

730 FICO on DEC apps
760 FICO on FEB apps

Had about 6 inquiries before applying and 5 open cards aged 6-3 years from Capital 1 and Citi.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 6:21 pm

------

Last edited by crimsonAA; Nov 14, 2017 at 7:27 am
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Instant approval for Green 25K and Gold 25K offers.

Both immediately added to my online account.

That makes 4 Charge and 4 Credit cards.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
11/1/2015 - CSP
2/2/2016 - approved Amex Hilton nofee
2/16/2016 - Chase IHG and Hyatt
2/25/2016 - Citi Aadvantage approved

I really want the SPG Business for work purchases and Amex Surpass before the 85k bonus expires and I want to cancel the Surpass before the Hilton hits one year - is it still possible to mix business and personal cards into one pull for Amex? haven't been able to find datapoints recently.

Last edited by StatusChallenged; Mar 15, 2016 at 9:59 am
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:44 am

combining amex pulls and couple of questions

Hello,

1. is it possible to combine amex pulls? In other words, if i were to apply for 2 cards in a day, is it possible to get a single pull instead of two?

2. If above is true, I assume will this work with SPG personal and EDP personal? Will it also work with SPG personal and PRG personal? I'm not sure if PRG being a charge card makes a difference.

3. does amex have some kind of a rule like "only 2 app in 7 days", "no more than 3 apps in 30 days" etc?

THanks!

edit: i found 2 i guess: credit-charge is good but credit-credit might not be as good.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
See also:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-days-usa.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ard-limit.html
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:13 pm

Can I apply for two AmEx cards in the same day?

I want to apply for a business SPG and a personal Platinum this month, and I want to know if this can be both done in the same day so that I only get one single hard pull for two applications?

Will I be denied (or "need more information" or anything other than non-instant approval) for one of the two if I apply both in one single day?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
If you apply for a personal and business card on the same day, will they result in 2 HPs from different Amex subsidiaries or will they come from the same division and eventually merged into a single HP?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
If you apply for a personal and business card on the same day, will they result in 2 HPs from different Amex subsidiaries or will they come from the same division and eventually merged into a single HP?
I'd like to know this, too. Planning on 2x SPG (pers and biz).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.