FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Applying for 2 or more AMEX cards on the same day. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1385398-applying-2-more-amex-cards-same-day.html)

DaveInLA Sep 7, 2012 6:53 pm

Applying for 2 or more AMEX cards on the same day.

I applied for 2 AMEX cards (SPG personal and Blue Cash Pref) a couple months ago, and while I was eventually approved for both, I did have to call the AMEX (reconsideration) line to explain why I applied for 2 cards.

That said, I'm going to apply for the SPG business card and the AMEX Hilton HHonors soon. I'd like to avoid having to call AMEX to explain why I'm going to apply for 2 more cards. Will using 2 browsers help me with that? Does it matter which card I apply for first? Thanks!

philemer Sep 7, 2012 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 19274223)
I applied for 2 AMEX cards (SPG personal and Blue Cash Pref) a couple months ago, and while I was eventually approved for both, I did have to call the AMEX (reconsideration) line to explain why I applied for 2 cards.

That said, I'm going to apply for the SPG business card and the AMEX Hilton HHonors soon. I'd like to avoid having to call AMEX to explain why I'm going to apply for 2 more cards. Will using 2 browsers help me with that? Does it matter which card I apply for first? Thanks!

No, two browsers won't help. Get ready to call.

satz Sep 7, 2012 7:27 pm

I am not sure whether 2 browsers would help.

Here's my experience: I applied for a personal and a business card the same day and did not get instantly approved for either one of them. I waited a few days and called, was told that I was approved for the business one but I would have to wait for the personal one.

The CSR said that apparently, the system flagged my applications and I had to wait 4-5 business days for the personal one and I would have to call back to check on its status as there was nothing he could do. I was eventually approved afterwards.

Hope it helps.

DaveInLA Sep 7, 2012 7:49 pm

Which one should I apply for first? I figure that one will be approved. Maybe the SPG business so I don't have to explain why I need SPG personal and business?

brownie20 Sep 7, 2012 10:15 pm

I applied for the SPG and Hilton cards on the same day and the Hilton was approved but the SPG was flagged as a duplicate application. I called but only to verify that I would qualify for the 30k bonus if my application was approved (i had actually submitted the SPG application first but their site crashed and I think they retrieved the Hilton application before the SPG). Received an approved email today - 4 business days from application submission. I don't think my calling made a difference. A manual review will always be needed as the 2nd application is marked as a duplicate but it happens automatically. Another good reason to apply for 2 at a time is they might combine inquiries into just one - that happened to a family member recently with the SPG and Hilton cards :)

gk17 Sep 9, 2012 11:53 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA (Post 19274427)
Which one should I apply for first? I figure that one will be approved. Maybe the SPG business so I don't have to explain why I need SPG personal and business?

From what I read, some users applied for both SPG personal and business on the same day. If they ask you for a reason, tell them you need it to track your expenses separately which is a valid reason.

Regarding the call to CSR, I had a similar experience. I even applied for a third AMEX card (had Hilton and Delta, but wanted SPG) about two weeks later and had to call up CSR. None of them asked me why I'm signing up for multiple AMEX cards.

vitacura Sep 9, 2012 3:50 pm

When applying for two cards within a 24 hour period, is it one hard pull or two on your credit?

charms81 Sep 9, 2012 7:04 pm

Wirelessly posted (Galaxy S2: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

From what i read it is one pull, but to be on safe side do both the apps around same time in two different browsers. This way you do not mess up with when amex clock resets to consider a separate application.

But it us almost sure that 2nd app will not be approved automatically. You need to call them for manual approval.

stupidzbu Sep 22, 2012 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by charms81 (Post 19284590)
Wirelessly posted (Galaxy S2: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

From what i read it is one pull, but to be on safe side do both the apps around same time in two different browsers. This way you do not mess up with when amex clock resets to consider a separate application.

But it us almost sure that 2nd app will not be approved automatically. You need to call them for manual approval.

So, would this work for 2 AMEX hilton cards? There is a 60k surpass and a 50k standard that I would love to dip into

I got a standard hilton AMEX in Feb, the T&Cs say you won't qualify for the bonus if you had the same product in 12 months, but I'm not sure if the one i got is the same product

michael_v May 16, 2014 9:06 am

I got two Amex cards on the same day and only one hard pull

I would like to share my experience since it seems to contradict the 5-day rule that Amex had - they would not look at the 2nd app for 5 days.

I applied, in private browser windows, for personal Platinum and business Rewards Gold. I had to call on both, the agents wanted to verify my identity (probably because of the private browser). The sequence was the following: applied for personal Platinum, called, approved, applied for business Gold, called, approved. Only one hard pull on my credit report (Experian) from Amex (but, as a side note, two pulls, EX and TU, from Citi for one Hilton Reserve app, does anyone know why?)

I have never had the personal Platinum and the business Rewards Gold I closed more than 12 months ago.

Hope this helps others.

patrick.barnes May 16, 2014 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v (Post 22874396)
I would like to share my experience since it seems to contradict the 5-day rule that Amex had - they would not look at the 2nd app for 5 days.

I applied, in private browser windows, for personal Platinum and business Rewards Gold. I had to call on both, the agents wanted to verify my identity (probably because of the private browser). The sequence was the following: applied for personal Platinum, called, approved, applied for business Gold, called, approved. Only one hard pull on my credit report (Experian) from Amex (but, as a side note, two pulls, EX and TU, from Citi for one Hilton Reserve app, does anyone know why?)

I have never had the personal Platinum and the business Rewards Gold I closed more than 12 months ago.

Hope this helps others.

5 day rule is for credit cards, not charge cards.

sdsearch May 17, 2014 6:52 am

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes (Post 22876890)
5 day rule is for credit cards, not charge cards.

Is there a list somewhere of which Amex cards are charge cards?

And does the 5-day rule apply if you're applying for one charge card and one credit card, and in that case does the order matter?

mia May 17, 2014 7:21 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 22878905)
Is there a list somewhere of which Amex cards are charge cards?

Personal = https://www304.americanexpress.com/c...v-viewallcards

Business = https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...c_viewallcards

Use the Card Filter on the left to segregate Charge, Credit and Prepaid types.

However, it's not too difficult to memorize the basics:

Centurion, Platinum, Gold and Green are charge cards.
Blue, Everyday and all of the airline and hotel co-branded products are credit cards.

mm1984 Aug 28, 2014 5:58 pm

I got two offers in the mail today, at the same time.
100k plat personal on 3k sped.
75k business gold 2k spend.

I want to get both, do you think I will get approved?

I dont have a business, but i invest in stocks. I was able to use that (3k per yr profit) to get a chase ink bold (also a business card).

Should I apply to both at the same time or space it out? Does being invited to apply mean I will likely qualify?

My credit score on credit karma is near 790.

Thank you in advance for your time. Hope this is the right post. Please let me know if someone wants pics of this , not sure if i followed the etiquette properly (of giving out details of a possibly unposted offer - i didn't find it in the forums- without pictures).

Forgot to mention- the business card is $0 this year, 175 next year, If I can only get one I would rather get that one instead of paying 450 for the platinum personal and getting 100k points.

mm1984 Aug 28, 2014 6:34 pm

Applied and instantly approved for the business card. Wondering if i should apply to plat now or wait.