Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by The Sloth
I have a $100 credit with my PRG card and bought at a ticket for $103.98 on September 2nd. It's now September 5th and the credit has not posted yet nor has my meter changed. Did I do something wrong or might it take a bit longer?
Update: Received $100 credit on September 5th
Old Sep 8, 2019, 5:13 am

Another DP to add

9/4 - Added SW as my preferred airline
*waited a few minutes until I got the confirmation email*
9/4 - Booked two one-way tickets ($85) + ($90)
9/7 - Got credit for both of them.
akr1970akr and GundamWing01 like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:38 pm

I read several pages but want to be 100% sure: buying a <$100 one way ticket on WN while logged in to RR will trigger a credit? No need to split payment or any other tricks?

I'm sorry for asking info that's out there, a wiki on the current status of GCs, split payment, etc. would be nice. I'm just now active enough to do it.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by adriangb
buying a <$100 one way ticket on WN while logged in to RR will trigger a credit? No need to split payment or any other tricks?
Correct. Logging to RR doesn't matter. Just need to pay with AmEx that has airline set to WN.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
Aug 26 - Get the email from Amex confirming 'Southwest is selected for incidentals fee credit'
Sep 1 - Booked 2 x $148 fare, apply 2 WN GC for $65 on each, residual of $83 is billed to Amex Plat for each (done as two separate bookings)
EDIT/UPDATE: on 9/6 two separate $83 credits posted backdated to 9/5 ! No email from Amex and meter never moved ahead of time, until 9/6, when credits arrived.
wait. just to be clear, you did not select and charge airfare on the same day right? looks like you booked on Sept 1st? and you didnt get credit until almost a week later? back when GCs worked, credits only took a few days.

anyway, appreciate the DP and glad the trick works. i was confused since you had mentioned "not enough time between selection of airline and transaction". thats plenty of time from Aug 26th to Sept 1st.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:23 pm

Schwab Platinum - Selected Airline: Southwest.
Booked a Hawaii inter-island flight for $58.80 9/4. It posted Friday, 9/6 and it's now 9/9 and counter still says $200. I guess I should have partially paid with a gift card.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by ST_Hawaii
Booked a Hawaii inter-island flight for $58.80 9/4. It posted Friday, 9/6 and it's now 9/9 and counter still says $200. I guess I should have partially paid with a gift card.
no. too soon. give it a week and come back to us.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by ST_Hawaii
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
no. too soon. give it a week and come back to us.
2nd that. Patience is a virtue.
Btw ST_Hawaii are you from the 808?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
wait. just to be clear, you did not select and charge airfare on the same day right? looks like you booked on Sept 1st? and you didnt get credit until almost a week later? back when GCs worked, credits only took a few days.

anyway, appreciate the DP and glad the trick works. i was confused since you had mentioned "not enough time between selection of airline and transaction". thats plenty of time from Aug 26th to Sept 1st.
I had made the original post (all the part not in bold) after a few days when I thought the purchase was not being reimbursed, and was trying to speculate on reasons why it was not crediting.

Then it did credit, so I updated the post with an edit in bold, clarifying that the work around had worked.

There was maybe 4-5 days between selecting WN as incidental credit benefit and the transactions.

Sadly the airfares went up, and my original plan to use up all $200 was waylaid.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
I had made the original post (all the part not in bold) after a few days when I thought the purchase was not being reimbursed, and was trying to speculate on reasons why it was not crediting.

Then it did credit, so I updated the post with an edit in bold, clarifying that the work around had worked.

There was maybe 4-5 days between selecting WN as incidental credit benefit and the transactions.

Sadly the airfares went up, and my original plan to use up all $200 was waylaid.
thank you for the clarification.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:26 am

Hi all! I'm new here but wanted to contribute since the thread has been a great resource. Additional data point (trying to stick with the formatting I'm seeing):

Southwest Airlines one way ticket for ~$101 on AMEX PLT.
Purchased: 09/08/19
Reimbursed: 09/10/19

Southwest Airlines one way ticket for ~$91 on AMEX PLT.

Both purchased back to back via the Southwest Airlines website (desktop). I had Southwest set as my airline of choice from earlier in the year so I didn't make any recent changes to my preferred airline.

Will manage the refund with Southwest for Travel Credits, per the guidance in this thread. Everything went smoothly as hoped.

GL all and hopefully this is helpful.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Interstellar
Hi all! I'm new here but wanted to contribute since the thread has been a great resource. Additional data point (trying to stick with the formatting I'm seeing):

Southwest Airlines one way ticket for ~$101 on AMEX PLT.

Southwest Airlines one way ticket for ~$91 on AMEX PLT.

Both purchased back to back via the Southwest Airlines website (desktop). I had Southwest set as my airline of choice from earlier in the year so I didn't make any recent changes to my preferred airline.

Will manage the refund with Southwest for Travel Credits, per the guidance in this thread. Everything went smoothly as hoped.

GL all and hopefully this is helpful.
welcome to the club interstellar astronaut. glad Dorian didnt hit you, but Humberto might. stay safe and thank you for the DP. just to confirm, no partial pay with travel credit or GC right?

also, your credits posted ridiculously fast in line with old GC loophole speed. im very surprised, but glad actual WN flight fares are working so consistently. thats a huge win for us. not as good as GC, but actual fares under $100 or travel credit is the next best thing. i view this similar to the CSR $300 travel credit.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Sep 12, 2019 at 3:48 am
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: AC 75k, WN CP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, National EE, Hertz PC
Southwest Airlines one way ticket for ~$82 on AMEX Biz Plat. x 2, purchases made back to back for identical amounts.
Purchased: 09/09/19
Posted: 09/10/19
Reimbursed: 09/11/19

Both purchased back to back via the Southwest Airlines website (desktop). I had Southwest set as my airline of choice immediately prior to this and made the purchases after receiving email confirmation from Amex of my airline choice. Did NOT get an email from Amex confirming I had used the Airline credit, just showed on my home page under recent activity.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:49 pm

welcome to the club interstellar astronaut. glad Dorian didnt hit you, but Humberto might. stay safe and thank you for the DP. just to confirm, no partial pay with travel credit or GC right?

also, your credits posted ridiculously fast in line with old GC loophole speed. im very surprised, but glad actual WN flight fares are working so consistently. thats a huge win for us. not as good as GC, but actual fares under $100 or travel credit is the next best thing. i view this similar to the CSR $300 travel credit.
Good to be here!

And yes that's correct: No partial pay of any kind.

I just bought the 2 tickets in separate transactions at their full prices with my Amex Plat. I was initially concerned because it shows the all flight details in the AmEx activities page, but the next day after I noticed that I got the full reimbursement for both tickets.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:10 am

Hilton Aspire?

Any data point for the Hilton Aspire card using the $100-ticket trick?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.