Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:55 pm

Intra-HI is a good use of the credit. Flights are mostly $39-$59 and I think there is a sale for some flights at $29. Most people would be flying one-way between the islands anyway.
808traveler likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:15 pm

Lot of talk of using a gift card to knock a flight to sub-$100, in order to trigger a credit for the remaining balance. Also DPs of award fees, especially for intl tickets, counting. But I haven't seen anything from this calendar year of $100+ fees working. Looking specifically at the $112 Nassau departure fees. Anyone seen or remember anything more about award fees? Last positive mention was January.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:21 pm

Ok, so can someone sum up on how can we use the airline reimbursement for Southwest?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bug.db
Ok, so can someone sum up on how can we use the airline reimbursement for Southwest?
Make a flight purchase of less than $100, using GCs if necessary to get the balance down to $99.99 or lower.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:29 pm

Can I book a refundable ticket that’s less than $100. Got reimbursed then cancel ticket to get a refund? Is that possible since southwest is great with refund.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flybie
Can I book a refundable ticket that’s less than $100. Got reimbursed then cancel ticket to get a refund? Is that possible since southwest is great with refund.
I'm not sure, but that seems like it may result in a high risk of getting the credit clawed back. I used my credits on WN GCs back in January, when it still worked. One of my friends was not so lucky. I advised him to do what you're planning on doing (book a ticket less than $100), but to cancel and keep the credit with Southwest (as opposed to having it refunded). That way, Amex doesn't see the refund being processed and should be none the wiser. Then, use the credit on a flight in the future (I believe it expires in 1 year, so you have a full year to use it). I'd do this sooner rather than later just in case Amex makes additional changes to screw us over again (i.e. credits stop working on all flight purchases too).
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:44 pm

That’s how I see, book a one way ticket under $100, get reimbursed, then cancel the ticket. The amount you pay will get deposit into your travel fund and you have a year to use it. Not ideal but it’s better than nothing.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Eonflux

That’s how I see, book a one way ticket under $100, get reimbursed, then cancel the ticket. The amount you pay will get deposit into your travel fund and you have a year to use it. Not ideal but it’s better than nothing.
hi if it goes to travel fund, then I can just buy the wanna get away instead of the anytime (refundable) then since wanna get away is cheapest and can be cancelled for travel fund one year as well?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:05 pm

Thank you. Also, it appears that Early Bird also can be reimbursed.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/01/tra...r-part-of-fee/
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:21 am

Cool

Originally Posted by pitflyer
Yes, I was reimbursed on a similar scenario where it clearly shows as a ticket. It's been two days (its July 22, and you put your charge through on July 20). Just be patient, it can take another day or two.
Originally Posted by greattypo
Data point:

Purchased a $141 one-way ($45 gift card + $96 AMEX) on July 20. So far, no sign of reimbursement.

It seems really clear that AMEX knows it's a ticket. On my online AMEX statement, I'm seeing information included like:

Passenger Name: *****
Date of Departure: *****
Ticket Number: ********
Document Type: PASSENGER TICKET
Itinerary (there's even a fancy graphic showing my segments)

For others who got reimbursed, did your AMEX charge include this much detail? Not holding my breath on this one..
Ok you guys were right...

7/20 - $96 charge
7/23 - $96 refunded!!
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:00 pm

hi if it goes to travel fund, then I can just buy the wanna get away instead of the anytime (refundable) then since wanna get away is cheapest and can be cancelled for travel fund one year as well?
Pretty sure you can buy wanna get away fare. Full refund fare you actually get refund back to your card, non refundable fare gets deposit into your travel fund.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:12 pm

Pretty sure you can buy wanna get away fare. Full refund fare you actually get refund back to your card, non refundable fare gets deposit into your travel fund.

i would think you want the Travel Fund since refund to credit card, Amex would know and ban you or claw back?!
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
More DP:
Family has 2x Aspire and 1x Gold so total of $600 credit to dispense. We bought multiple one way SW tickets using GC split payment method for flights between NorCal and SoCal. GC portion was using same card to purchase if that matters.
7/19 - Purchased ticket
7/23 - Airline credit meter deducted
7/24 - Credit reimbursed

If this method still works for next calendar year, we will consider keeping it. If not, then likely cancel majority of the cards with airline credits.
808traveler likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:34 pm

I haven't bought a WN ticket for a long time, but I remember if you were canceling a fully refundable fare, you used to have a choice of either holding it as a credit or getting it paid back in the original form of payment.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Beachchaser
Houston to dallas
Okay I have tried multiple Houston-DAL one way flight combos as far as dates go, and the cheapest I see on the calendar going out from now until January 2020 are all $105!

What dates are you getting below $100? I'm bewildered at this point....

Originally Posted by mmoncrieff
JAX - FLL
​​​​​​
JAX-FLL, I do see $59 and $64 fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.