Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Found a couple of one way flights around the $100 mark. I'm thinking about buying a two $10 southwest egift cards (the minimum each), not expecting to be reimbursed on that package, then buying the tickets leaving $100 each.
As one of the first people who didn't get reimbursed back in early June I'm torn whether to try again and end up with another flight I *can* take but only really want to take if it was reimbursed.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by caesarsalad
Not sure if this still works either, but I saw DPs elsewhere that SW flights under $100 were triggering the credit: frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/amex-airline-fee-reimbursements-still-works/

Tried this and posted in early June when I had $100 credit left on my Platinum:
6/4/19 - Purchased two flights for $48.98 and a third ticket with companion pass with $5.60 in taxes/fees
6/6/19 - Transactions posted
6/7/19 - Counter decreased from $100 to $0
6/8/19 - Credits posted ($48.98, $5.60, $45.42)
Were these all in 1 transaction or was 1 of the $49 tickets on a separate purchase? Does it matter or only the actual per ticket fare? I'm looking at 5 x $49 fares and I'd prefer everything be on 1 confirmation, only need to use up 1 $100 Amex gold credit.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: Chase, Hilton
Originally Posted by George M
Looks like Mileage Multipliers and seat upgrades are about to become more popular.
Does seat upgrades work for the credit? I thought it wasnt suppose to.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Agallion
Does seat upgrades work for the credit? I thought it wasnt suppose to.
Upgrades (i.e., movement from one class to another, as in Y-->C) do not get reimbursed. Seat assignment fees, as in buying an E+ seat on UA or Main Cabin Select on AA, are authorized incidental fees (you aren't moving from one class of service to another.)

The airlines like to market E+ seats as an "upgrade"; for AMEX incidental credit purposes, they are not (or, shall I say, historically they have not been considered "upgrades" by AMEX and have thus been reimbursed.)
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:11 pm

FYI...purchased an international ticket on 7/2....didn’t get reimbursed for the plane tickets (full purchase price tickets or tickets that were partially paid with unused funds and partially with the credit card.)

But did get reimbursed $45.60 and $95 for the taxes/fees on the companion pass ticket on 7/5.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AS Gold 75k, Marriott Titanium, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Atulinlondon
FYI...purchased an international ticket on 7/2....didn’t get reimbursed for the plane tickets (full purchase price tickets or tickets that were partially paid with unused funds and partially with the credit card.)

But did get reimbursed $45.60 and $95 for the taxes/fees on the companion pass ticket on 7/5.
If you don’t mind sharing how much were the tickets and the break downs of your tickets? (How much on CC vs unused funds?)
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Atulinlondon

So if I book an international flight with points and pay for the international taxes/fees with my Platinum, then I should get credited for the fees. Once reimbursed, I can cancel the points flight and allow the paid fees to be credited to my southwest account, right?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by RandomInternetPerson
So if I book an international flight with points and pay for the international taxes/fees with my Platinum, then I should get credited for the fees. Once reimbursed, I can cancel the points flight and allow the paid fees to be credited to my southwest account, right?
If you cancel the RR ticket and select the Travel Funds option, you will need to keep track of the PNR which is locked to your name only and must be used within one year of booking. Travel Funds are not associated with your RR account.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:25 pm

Credit successfully applied to flight booked partially with WN travel funds.

7/3 $95 charge posted
7/6 $95 credit reimbursed

AMEX Plat
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by WantOnlinePoker
Were these all in 1 transaction or was 1 of the $49 tickets on a separate purchase? Does it matter or only the actual per ticket fare? I'm looking at 5 x $49 fares and I'd prefer everything be on 1 confirmation, only need to use up 1 $100 Amex gold credit.
Sorry forgot to quote message. Done as separate one-way purchases.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, AS Gold 75k, Marriott Titanium, IHG Gold
I just recently got the Platinum and Gold cards right before the GC trick stopped working. So I have the full $200 and $100. Tried the partial payment method with WN (Southwest) and I'm not sure if anyone confirmed it, but I believe the residual amount needs to be less than $100. The only reason I tried something greater than $100 was someone in the DL forum posted having a full $200 reimbursed after having a residual of $224. So to be on the safe side, I'd suggest residual amounts of less than $100. WN GC are also instantaneous, just a pain to do two transactions. I purchased both tickets on July 4th, posted July 5th. The <$100 credit posted this morning 7/8 (shows 7/7, counter moved from $100 to $10.02 on 7/7). No credit on the other one yet, and the counter hasn't moved.

808traveler likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by edkwan88
I just recently got the Platinum and Gold cards right before the GC trick stopped working. So I have the full $200 and $100. Tried the partial payment method with WN (Southwest) and I'm not sure if anyone confirmed it, but I believe the residual amount needs to be less than $100. The only reason I tried something greater than $100 was someone in the DL forum posted having a full $200 reimbursed after having a residual of $224. So to be on the safe side, I'd suggest residual amounts of less than $100. WN GC are also instantaneous, just a pain to do two transactions. I purchased both tickets on July 4th, posted July 5th. The <$100 credit posted this morning 7/8 (shows 7/7, counter moved from $100 to $10.02 on 7/7). No credit on the other one yet, and the counter hasn't moved.
another DP that worked only with split pay & <$100; hope ur $155 will be credited like the fare purch >$100 on DL has got reimbursed

Last edited by danhouston; Jul 8, 2019 at 1:52 pm Reason: Remove quoted image
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by edkwan88
Thanks for the detailed information. I am looking at tickets that are $105 and $125, so it seems like with Southwest requiring at least a $10 eGC purchase I need to buy a $26 one for the second one to be safe. If your >$100 one does post please share back!
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
I was able to get a southwest charge reimbursed the other day. My fare was $229.96 and I paid it this way:

91.99 - travel funds from a prior reservation
40.00 - purchased a WN GC using my Hilton card while not signed into my account. This was not reimbursed
97.97 - charged on my AMEX Hilton card. Purchased the flight on July 3, The $97.97 was reimbursed on July 6.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:25 pm

I'm curious if anybody has tried charging a larger amount than $100 to the card and gotten reimbursed. It seems the only way to get this to work for airfare is to:
  1. Use a gift card for part of the fare
  2. Charge the rest (<$100 total) to the card
What if I bought a $250 RT flight but used a $10 GC and charged the other $240 to the card? I'm not certain if that would work, but it seems that partial flight fares are working, so I would love to hear if anyone has a DP on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.