Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by mia
It sounds as if the fares were purchased with the giftcard, but if the right American Express card was used to pay the $40 residual it might be reimbursed.
Unfortunately in my case I put the $40 on another Amex that I was hitting MSR on since I expected the $200 to come from the BizPlat. Sometimes play stupid games, get stupid prizes.
mia and 808traveler like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
Originally Posted by danhouston
paid wifi on WN is a no go
They don't treat Southwest wifi as an airline incidental charge? I picked up the Hilton Aspire a month ago and hadn't gotten around to buying the GC's. Given that I'm A list with WN, I'm not sure how I can burn through $250 credit if I can't charge wifi to it? I guess I'll save my drink tickets until I've burned up the credit and start buying up to A1-15 at the gate just to use up the credit.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:52 pm
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by mctrees02
They don't treat Southwest wifi as an airline incidental charge? I picked up the Hilton Aspire a month ago and hadn't gotten around to buying the GC's. Given that I'm A list with WN, I'm not sure how I can burn through $250 credit if I can't charge wifi to it? I guess I'll save my drink tickets until I've burned up the credit and start buying up to A1-15 at the gate just to use up the credit.
Bank of America reimbursed Southwest Wifi. Never used Amex credit for it as always got gift cards. I think the Wifi worked for like 15 minutes on my flight back from Aruba. Would have complained but as it was free didn't see the point.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by atomicfront
Bank of America reimbursed Southwest Wifi. Never used Amex credit for it as always got gift cards. I think the Wifi worked for like 15 minutes on my flight back from Aruba. Would have complained but as it was free didn't see the point.
i think wifi isn't provided over the ocean
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 808traveler
i think wifi isn't provided over the ocean
Southwest's is satellite based so in theory it shouldn't have issues. Of course, YMMV.
808traveler likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Southwest's is satellite based so in theory it shouldn't have issues. Of course, YMMV.
yeah i know they use INMARSAT and the like, but then the wifi isn't working until 15 mins before you land, so...lol
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by mctrees02
I believe the charge for wifi comes from a third party vendor and not from Southwest, so it does not code correctly for you to receive the credit. The credit is supposed to be for incidentals charged by the airline directly.
danhouston likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:32 am

JUNE 17 - Upgraded two biz charges to Biz Plat and set airline to WN

JUNE 24 - Purchased $40 in early bird and $160 GC on one, $200 GC on the other

JUNE 27 - Early bird fees credited

No credit for GCs yet and benefit meter is the same. SPD/Freight or not I’m pretty sure this is a lost cause.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K
Yeah. It’s dead, Jim.
Kirsch likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
Can anyone educate me how the split airfare charge reimbursement works? Thank you.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Split reimbursement

I assume from what people are posting that it refers to paying for part of your fare with a gift card and the rest with your AmEx Platinum (with the added caveat that the excess should probably be less than $100), and the excess is reimbursed as an incidental charge.
808traveler likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Both me and gf just upgraded to Aspire.. looks like only keeping for one year. At least got the 150k upgrade offer.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG, IHG, AA, SWA
Originally Posted by dezcutit
Uh oh.......
​​​​​​
Delta, Southwest Gift Cards May No Longer Trigger Amex Airline Fee Credit by The Points Guy

​​​​​​I think this is really dead. AMEX better make a change here or they're going to lose a lot of customers.
Looks like Mileage Multipliers and seat upgrades are about to become more popular.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG, IHG, AA, SWA
Originally Posted by zoneflyer
Both me and gf just upgraded to Aspire.. looks like only keeping for one year. At least got the 150k upgrade offer.
If you use the free night certificate for a proper redemption value, you can still recoup the AF. Plus, there is the resort credit and you can still reap rewards from the airline credit in other ways besides GCs.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AS Gold 75k, Marriott Titanium, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 808traveler
can you message me the link? Reddit is hard as heck to search.

looks that way. This route has been around since before, but it was usually easier/more flexible to buy GCs. Anyways, looks like partial airfare reimbursement will become my go-to method for using this benefit now.

also, somebody on TPG commented that 1 out of 3 DL GCs they bought on 6/25 was reimbursed on 6/29. The other 2, nothing. Here's the link: https://disqus.com/by/disqus_Uif6ldHWa8/?
makes me wonder if they used a DL platinum card and got a $50 Delta purchase credit, but mixed it up as the amex airline fee reimbursement that we're discussing here.
I will note that the user said they used an "amex platinum".
Heres the reddit link. https://www.reddit.com/r/amex/commen...term=control_1

On a side note I made a couple of southwest flight purchases yesterday. I used partial payments with GC and my Platinum and Gold cards. Will report back if anything good.
rasrar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.