Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2019, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by aopluu
Quote:
Originally Posted by aopluu
if GC+ partial ticket payment work
Can I buy refundable ticket, wait until AMEX post partial payment part credit, then cancel the ticket.
By doing so, WN will refund entire Ticket total to travel credit for future use within 12 month.
As long as I can book for WN travel within 1 year, it can be solved.
per reading previous post, better to make Partial ticket payment part < $100

---> Are you trying to shift your expense forward by a few months, or build up your WN credit above the $100 threshold?

just think if this way works, better than nothing or wasting that $100 credit
u meant wasting $100 cr if do nothing? $100 shouldn't be hard to redeem

Last edited by danhouston; Jul 13, 2019 at 9:21 am
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
u meant wasting $100 cr if do nothing? $100 shouldn't be hard to redeem
if you redeem a $5 gift card for $80 in taxes on an intl award flight and it doesn't work you can cancel it and get the amount minus the gc as a cc refund. Please note this is only for award flights and refundable fares and doesn't work on wga fares past the cancelation window.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:35 pm

These Amex credits are beyond stupid now. Will be cancelling all my charge cards when the annual fees come due.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
My meter went down to $2 after two $99 fare purchases two days after they posted. I did use a $10 gift card each (not reimbursed).

Have no idea how long this will last but at least set for this year and hope still an option next year. Others can report if amounts higher than $100 work.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
delete

Last edited by sowhatwegetdrunk; Jul 14, 2019 at 1:24 pm
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:08 pm

$5 will be in the form of a future use voucher, good 1 year from original booking date. Also make sure not to add early bird if you plan on potentially canceling as it is non refundable but still reimbursed on a side note
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk

Will the $5 refund go back to gift card or is that portion non-refundable?

Does the total taxes have to be below $100? How about $111 in taxes (for 3 tkts), use $10 gift card, pay $101 with Amex CC amd get $100 back on gold? Will that work?
taxes &fees will likely get reimbursed esp with split pymt; may I ask which int'l inbound fee has the tax of $111? plz share DP after recvg credit

Last edited by danhouston; Jul 14, 2019 at 12:28 pm
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by danhouston
taxes &fees will likely get reimbursed esp with split pymt; may I ask which int'l inbound fee has the tax of $111? plz share DP after recvg credit
mind deleting my post in your quote?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk
mind deleting my post in your quote?
why? smthg wrong with ur post?

Last edited by danhouston; Jul 14, 2019 at 2:32 pm
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:21 pm

So using gift card to to split payment vs using points + fees to book reward flights are coded differently?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: UA, CO, Delta, AA, BA, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
Originally Posted by mmoncrieff
What if the price of the ticket is already less than $100 (ex. JAX-FLL for $64) Do I still need to apply a gift card or will the low cost airfare trigger the credit? Thanks!
No, you don't need to apply a gift card. I bought two tickets at $89.99 each (in two purchases) and both triggered the credit.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by karenfly
No, you don't need to apply a gift card. I bought two tickets at $89.99 each (in two purchases) and both triggered the credit.
There are a lot of DP's that state this, I'm pretty sure you can count on the reimbursement below $100. Maybe using one ways more often?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Just tried the GC + Amex split payment a few days ago as described above and the Amex charge posted as a passenger ticket with the name, itinerary, ticket number, etc. Not sure what the trick was that people used to get it to work, but maybe we can peel this back and figure out how people booked to trigger it.

Maybe, the way I went about it caused the failure, maybe not: Round trip flight was booked by them, while logged into their RR acct, in their name using a GC they bought with a different CC in their name as a partial payment. The remainder of the payment (~$85) was charged to my Plat. Booked on a windows laptop, vs. an iOS device like an iPad.

I probably screwed the pooch on this attempt by the stupid way we booked, but any ideas? Problem was they needed a flight on WN and I didn't, so we tried it this way. I had my wallet out and they didn't so we used my card. They are an AU on my Plat card, so maybe next time let them book it all and pay the remainder on their Au Plat card to try to trigger the credit?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by gmt4
Just tried the GC + Amex split payment a few days ago as described above and the Amex charge posted as a passenger ticket with the name, itinerary, ticket number, etc. Not sure what the trick was that people used to get it to work, but maybe we can peel this back and figure out how people booked to trigger it.

Maybe, the way I went about it caused the failure, maybe not: Round trip flight was booked by them, while logged into their RR acct, in their name using a GC they bought with a different CC in their name as a partial payment. The remainder of the payment (~$85) was charged to my Plat. Booked on a windows laptop, vs. an iOS device like an iPad.

I probably screwed the pooch on this attempt by the stupid way we booked, but any ideas? Problem was they needed a flight on WN and I didn't, so we tried it this way. I had my wallet out and they didn't so we used my card. They are an AU on my Plat card, so maybe next time let them book it all and pay the remainder on their Au Plat card to try to trigger the credit?
should get a credit; the traveler doesn't have to be u or in ur name
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by gmt4

I'm surprised you didn't get it. You seem to fit all, the criteria for reimbursement. Maybe a couple more days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.