Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by nikkininiorchid
Travel fund also works.
Care to elaborate?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:44 am

Will buying SW Earlybird checkin count as incidental?

Will update with my DP for Amex Biz Plat $80 flight if it credits. It shows as 1 transaction even though it is for 2 passengers on the same flight. Also used 2 GC's to get the price below $100.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:19 am

Purchased 3 separate tickets all under 100 dollars on 8/9. Accredited statement credit 8/13 for 200 dollars on my biz plat.
akr1970akr likes this.

Last edited by wewilldoitlive; Aug 14, 2019 at 11:19 am Reason: addding more info
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by gtran26
Will buying SW Earlybird checkin count as incidental?

Will update with my DP for Amex Biz Plat $80 flight if it credits. It shows as 1 transaction even though it is for 2 passengers on the same flight. Also used 2 GC's to get the price below $100.
ebci absolutely counts
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Kurtisk1
Late on 8/12:
Credit posted for the $103.98 and $96.02 for the $200 total.
Did you cancel flights in 24 hours?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:43 am

I could call Southwest but based on prior experience, I feel like I'll get more reliable info here than a random CS rep. If I want to use my wife's HH Aspire airline credit by using the "partial payment" trick, and I want to subsequently cancel the "get away" ticket in such a way that the returned funds go to me, is it better to book a flight under my account and pay with her card (same address on the card), or to book flight under her account and ticket in my name. Not sure exactly how returned funds work, in the name of ticket's holder, or the purchaser, regardless who he's buying the ticket for.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by DjRocket
Not sure exactly how returned funds work, in the name of ticket's holder, or the purchaser, regardless who he's buying the ticket for.
https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...-info-pol.html

"All eligible refunds are provided according to your original form of payment."
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:10 am

Another data point: Travel Credit redeemd

Another (mostly) successful datapoint

August 1st: $100 travel credit remaining, set to Southwest
August 12th: buy two (2x) tickets from Southwest.com, for $85 each
August 15th: "You have used all of your $200 Airline Fee Credit for this year."

Still waiting on that $100 to be refunded, but looks good so far
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Petdog

I don't see how that answer my question though. The "original form of payment" is my wife's Aspire CC, but I'm not trying to refund the ticket back to the card. I'm refunding the ticket to "available funds for travel within a year from the date of purchase" which typically is referenced by the itinerary confirmation number. My question is, will these travel funds be available to the person whose name is on the ticket, regardless of who purchased the ticket, or to the person's SW account who purchased the ticket, regardless of whose name he put on that ticket?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:27 am

i think they were asking about after the charge posts, in which case they're past 24hrs and it is not refunded but issued as a travel fund. The travel funds are tied to the passenger name on the booked ticket. Account or payment method used do not matter.
merice107107 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by B3nder
i think they were asking about after the charge posts, in which case they're past 24hrs and it is not refunded but issued as a travel fund. The travel funds are tied to the passenger name on the booked ticket. Account or payment method used do not matter.
Thank you, that's what I was looking for! I'm also assuming AMEX airline reimbursement is triggered that same way whether it's MR earning card like Platinum or Gold, or Hilton Aspire CC.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by B3nder
Sorry, I misunderstood. B3nder is correct.

https://www.southwest.com/flight/tra...ds-search.html

"Travel Funds FAQs

How do I get travel funds?
If you cancel your reservation at least 10 minutes prior to departure, the fare paid for the unused ticket (inducing taxes, security fees, and Passenger Facility Charges) will be applied as travel funds toward the purchase of future travel on Southwest.

Can I use Southwest travel funds for someone else?
The reusable travel funds can be used by the originally ticketed Passenger only."

Travel funds from unused or canceled flight reservations have to be used by the originally ticketed passenger on those reservations. That means your Southwest travel funds are all yours (sorry, Mom)."
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:04 pm

Can I use Southwest travel funds for someone else?
The reusable travel funds can be used by the originally ticketed Passenger only."

Travel funds from unused or canceled flight reservations have to be used by the originally ticketed passenger on those reservations. That means your Southwest travel funds are all yours (sorry, Mom)."
Yep, thanks ! So basically my "Mom" can buy me a ticket and then cancel to my travel funds for future use.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by saffir
Another (mostly) successful datapoint

August 1st: $100 travel credit remaining, set to Southwest
August 12th: buy two (2x) tickets from Southwest.com, for $85 each
August 15th: "You have used all of your $200 Airline Fee Credit for this year."

Still waiting on that $100 to be refunded, but looks good so far
Did you cancel flights in 24 hours?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:06 pm

DP

Originally Posted by Hoya2008
Anyone have any DPs on flights or split fares with cc charge > $105 or $110? Also do travel funds and GCs have the same effect on the split fare charge? Thanks
8/12 - Purchased flight with $19.99 in travel funds, $102.69 to AMEX
8/15 - Meter moved down to $97.31

No credit yet, but this is hopeful. Was too chicken to try charging AMEX above $105, but I answered my own question about travel fund split charges, for anyone else who was curious too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.