Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:08 pm

Datapoint

I selected Southwest as my carrier on 9/11 and got the confirmation email from Amex same day. I purchased a flight for $97.96 on 9/11 and it was pending. I saw that you should wait a few days after selecting your airline to purchase tickets so I ended up cancelling the flight the same day. The charge never cleared on the card but on 9/13 I received a reimbursement credit of $97.96. The counter also reflected this.

I figured I would try this again to see if it works. Purchased a ticket on 9/17 for $102.96 and cancelled the same day. Will update if it clears in the next few days.

I think if people want to try this method we can determine what the threshold is that will get reimbursed without the risk of being stuck with paying for the ticket.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Fo8Squad
Purchased a ticket on 9/17 for $102.96 and cancelled the same day. Will update if it clears in the next few days.
The highest reported ticket charge to date that worked is $103.98
Old Sep 21, 2019, 11:29 pm

DP:

(WN already selected as airline of choice)

9/15: Bought $92.00 ticket
9/18: Counter moved to $92 used
9/19: $92.00 Credit posted
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Fo8Squad
I selected Southwest as my carrier on 9/11 and got the confirmation email from Amex same day. I purchased a flight for $97.96 on 9/11 and it was pending. I saw that you should wait a few days after selecting your airline to purchase tickets so I ended up cancelling the flight the same day. The charge never cleared on the card but on 9/13 I received a reimbursement credit of $97.96. The counter also reflected this.

I figured I would try this again to see if it works. Purchased a ticket on 9/17 for $102.96 and cancelled the same day. Will update if it clears in the next few days.

I think if people want to try this method we can determine what the threshold is that will get reimbursed without the risk of being stuck with paying for the ticket.
Sounds like a sure fire way to get the last remaining loophole closed down REAL quick... please don't.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by defjukie
Sounds like a sure fire way to get the last remaining loophole closed down REAL quick... please don't.
It appears that WN is OK with ticket purchases triggering the credit, but the may not be if quick cancellations become the trigger. They lose revenue.

In any event the bloggers will kill this last loophole. Just give it time.
camaross and akr1970akr like this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage, RapidRewards
New DP

Booked with my Amex GOLD:
Chose Southwest as my airline on 9/16
9/17 - Booked $48.98 and $53.98 worth of air tickets (total $102.96)
9/19 - Posted
9/23 - Reimbursed $100 of the $102.96

With my wife's Hilton Aspire:
Chose Southwest as airline credit on 9/16
9/17 - Booked $69.99, $63.98, $63.98, and $53.98 of tickets
9/19 - Posted
9/23 - Reimbursed $250 of the 251.93
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by ivandjaw
New DP

Booked with my Amex GOLD:
Chose Southwest as my airline on 9/16
9/17 - Booked $48.98 and $53.98 worth of air tickets (total $102.96)
9/19 - Posted
9/23 - Reimbursed $100 of the $102.96

With my wife's Hilton Aspire:
Chose Southwest as airline credit on 9/16
9/17 - Booked $69.99, $63.98, $63.98, and $53.98 of tickets
9/19 - Posted
9/23 - Reimbursed $250 of the 251.93
very nice DP. looks like WN airfare credit really does work. wonder if it would still work for airfares way above $100/$200/$250. either way, given the popularity of WN, i suspect this loophole will not last long. especially with the holidays coming up. its gonna be really painful next year when we all have hundreds if not thousands of air credits to capture.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
very nice DP. looks like WN airfare credit really does work. wonder if it would still work for airfares way above $100/$200/$250. either way, given the popularity of WN, i suspect this loophole will not last long. especially with the holidays coming up. its gonna be really painful next year when we all have hundreds if not thousands of air credits to capture.
Previous posts indicate that the chances for reimbursement diminish quickly as airfare goes over $100. As for how long this will last, it's anyone's guess. There's little doubt that Amex is fully aware of the loophole, but we can really only speculate as to why it hasn't been closed. Many assume it's because WN does not share the proper level 3 data for Amex to recognize the charge. The strange thing is, if you purchase a ticket under $100, you can clearly see it's a flight purchase on your Amex account. It will even show you your flight times. So, it seems Amex is getting detailed information about the purchase. What gives?
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by soldja
....if you purchase a ticket under $100, you can clearly see it's a flight purchase on your Amex account. It will even show you your flight times.
If you purchase a service in connection with a specific flight does the transaction show similar details?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If you purchase a service in connection with a specific flight does the transaction show similar details?
I haven't tried that.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:12 pm

Previous posts indicate that the chances for reimbursement diminish quickly as airfare goes over $100. As for how long this will last, it's anyone's guess. There's little doubt that Amex is fully aware of the loophole, but we can really only speculate as to why it hasn't been closed. Many assume it's because WN does not share the proper level 3 data for Amex to recognize the charge. The strange thing is, if you purchase a ticket under $100, you can clearly see it's a flight purchase on your Amex account. It will even show you your flight times. So, it seems Amex is getting detailed information about the purchase. What gives?
its definitely a coding issue. based on all the DPs from other airline credit threads, its clear theres a different trick for each. meaning, payment information from the airlines are integrated inconsistently based on the airlines technical requirements and thats why certain charges work while some dont. i would also imagine fixing the issue is a technical nightmare having to work with multiple parties.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:22 pm

Question-

Do we have to "Log In" WN to purchase a ticket.

Thank you
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by mia
The process is exactly the same for Aspire, Platinum and Gold. Only the amount of the reimbursement benefit differs.
No more airline credit using Aspire for SW Gcs?
Have to book actual flights? What if I book award flight and pay the tax/fees with Aspire? Will trigger the credit? Have to use spend the entire $250 in one airline ticket or tax fees or i can use it again ( how long I have?) until I reach the spend req to trigger the credit?What about refundable flight?
Thanks
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Sherab Sherab
No more airline credit using Aspire for SW Gcs?
Have to book actual flights? What if I book award flight and pay the tax/fees with Aspire? Will trigger the credit? Have to use spend the entire $250 in one airline ticket or tax fees or i can use it again ( how long I have?) until I reach the spend req to trigger the credit?What about refundable flight?
Thanks
You won't get reimbursed for any SW ticket more than about $100. Award taxes should work for SW. If you skim through the previous 20 or so pages of this thread, you'll see what currently works and what doesn't. It's probably better to glean information from users' actual experience than for someone to try to explain it. It's covered pretty well here.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:17 pm

You won't get reimbursed for any SW ticket more than about $100. Award taxes should work for SW. If you skim through the previous 20 or so pages of this thread, you'll see what currently works and what doesn't. It's probably better to glean information from users' actual experience than for someone to try to explain it. It's covered pretty well here.
Will the credit trigger on any airline award taxes or fees? I am talking about international award tax/fees. Have to pay once to trigger the full credit? The tax fees may not be $250.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.