Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by mia
This is different from earlier reports. If you cancel the purchase within 24 hours, the pending card transaction never posts, and the credit would not be triggered. What has changed?
I did this in Feb with Amex card 1 and I just did it this last week with Amex card 2. I waited until hour 23 to cancel. The card transaction posts and the credit is posted several days later.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by krk3561
I did this in Feb with Amex card 1 and I just did it this last week with Amex card 2. I waited until hour 23 to cancel. The card transaction posts and the credit is posted several days later.
Do you recall what time you made the purchase (please include Eastern, Pacific, etc.)? Did you cancel at 23 hour or after? I am wondering if timing plays a role on when AS submits and/or AMEX system post the transaction.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:42 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by billatq
.... It would be cool if you could use the airline credit towards a lounge membership though.
You can.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:25 pm

Except that it’s not automatic, “incidental travel fees” are not defined anywhere I can find on the amex website, and there are data points about how folks have to fight for it.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by billatq
Except that it’s not automatic, “incidental travel fees” are not defined anywhere I can find on the amex website, and there are data points about how folks have to fight for it.
Which club membership would you buy: AA, AS, DL or UA?

It can be automatic, and if the system fails to recognize a club membership (or day pass) it is straightforward to have it reimbursed. There is no fight. When this feature was first introduced, club access was mentioned in the list of qualifying expenses, but through several revisions the language has been edited to focus on exclusions rather than inclusions.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:43 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Almost certainly not DL, since the card already gives you Sky Club access and the access limitations for actual members will be almost as strict as the ones for cardholders starting January.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by mia

It can be automatic, and if the system fails to recognize a club membership (or day pass) it is straightforward to have it reimbursed. There is no fight. When this feature was first introduced, club access was mentioned in the list of qualifying expenses, but through several revisions the language has been edited to focus on exclusions rather than inclusions.
For Alaska at least, it looks like it was more difficult in 2011: www.flyertalk.com/forum/16251396-post2.html

But they've unsurprisingly made that easier at some point: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29276956-post657.html

Sounds like a good use of the reimbursement for me next year.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by robchow
Do you recall what time you made the purchase (please include Eastern, Pacific, etc.)? Did you cancel at 23 hour or after? I am wondering if timing plays a role on when AS submits and/or AMEX system post the transaction.
Nothing further on this strategy eh?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by robchow
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Nothing further on this strategy eh?
I am interested also. I would like to pick Alaska as my airline if at all possible.

PS How much was the airfare?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:45 pm

Here are the charges as I've done them, the timestamps are from my emails from AS - I don't know the exact time I booked or canceled the fare.

Amex Plat:
1) Jan 31, 2018, 10:23 PM, $93.30, canceled Feb 1, 2018, 6:00 PM
2) Feb 6, 2018, 11:08 AM, $93.30, canceled Feb 7, 2018, 12:30 PM (this was before AS eliminated the 60 refund thing)
3) Feb 11, 2018, 7:15 PM, $48.30, canceled Feb 12, 2018, 9:26 AM

Amex Gold:
Aug 30, 2018, 9:35 PM - $99.40 flight, canceled Aug 31, 2018, 8:44 AM
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:08 pm

Does the "book a flight under $100 and cancel for wallet credit" still work? I thought AS got rid of this.
Please help as I want to do this for my upcoming AMEX cards.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Beat2Def
Does the "book a flight under $100 and cancel for wallet credit" still work? I thought AS got rid of this.
Please help as I want to do this for my upcoming AMEX cards.
It does if you're MVPG or MVPG75K.

Some have suggested on here (read several posts/pages up) that you can cancel at the very end of your free 24 hour cancellation window (like between hour 23 and 24) and it will be late enough for the charge to first post and then get refunded due to cancel. And since the charge posted, the Amex fee credit should then post a few days later. Sounds like if you cancel immediately after booking then the charge never even posts and just vanishes from pending
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:17 pm

I’m MVPG75K and just got the Amex Hilton Aspire with a $250 airline incidental fee reimbursement. Any current experience with doing sub $100 AS airfare charges and getting reimbursed on this card?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by bobrawski
I’m MVPG75K and just got the Amex Hilton Aspire with a $250 airline incidental fee reimbursement. Any current experience with doing sub $100 AS airfare charges and getting reimbursed on this card?

Yes, in this thread.

Since you are MVPG75K you can buy a sub $100 ticket and cancel it after 24 hours with no fee, and chose to have the funds deposited to your wallet for future use. Or if you read the last page or two, there seems to be some magical mark at 23 hours or so that might work as well but bypass the wallet, and still result in reimbursable charge on the Amex, which is later credited back. (I haven't tried the latter method.)

-David
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Yes, in this thread.

Since you are MVPG75K you can buy a sub $100 ticket and cancel it after 24 hours with no fee, and chose to have the funds deposited to your wallet for future use. Or if you read the last page or two, there seems to be some magical mark at 23 hours or so that might work as well but bypass the wallet, and still result in reimbursable charge on the Amex, which is later credited back. (I haven't tried the latter method.)

-David
Thank you for your response. I had read the last few pages of posts and am familiar with the purchase -> wallet and the purchase -> 23rd hr cancel options, but all the examples appeared to be using Amex Plat and Gold. I didn’t want to assume that another Amex product, the Hilton Aspire, would work without hearing actual experience from others.

While it would be great to have an extra $250 in my travel wallet, if it doesn’t work, being MVPG75K, I don’t have any AS incidental chages (free checked bags, no change fees, etc.) so I’d be wasting my benefit. Before knowing about this AS option, I used a tip from TPG to buy a $100 gift card from Southwest for my Amex Gold, and it got the credit in a couple days. Don’t really want or need any more WN gift cards though.

Anyone do this recently with an Amex Hilton Aspire?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.