Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:26 pm
  #991  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 12
Bought $79 Premium Seat upgrade on 1/15, transaction posted on 1/18. Still no reimbursement. Anyone have a recent DP of premium seat upgrade being reimbursed?
mattp_16 is offline  
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:58 am
  #992  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 225
Not yet this year, but I always do it. Give it a few more days, imho. It should post. “Seat assignment fees” qualify. Call or secure chat...this should be a slam dunk. Cheers.
jeepie is offline  
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:40 pm
  #993  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 49
Can someone confirm if the following will work? I have the Amex prg and the Hilton aspire and want to use the $350 total airline credit towards an AS flight.
Book a one way $99 flight on the prg and 2 $99 one way flights on the aspire and another $50 one way flight on the aspire.
Cancel all flights about 22 hours after booking and amex will reimburse the $350 airline credits to my amex account.
endy is offline  
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:41 pm
  #994  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 6
Selected Alaska as my airline of choice and purchased a ticket on Jan 20. Usually AMEX is spot on with the credit but this one is taking longer than usual. I know it has not been 4 weeks per the disclaimer, but is it too early to call about it? Just wanted to ask those with the most experience.
kungfury is offline  
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:35 pm
  #995  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by jeepie
Not yet this year, but I always do it. Give it a few more days, imho. It should post. “Seat assignment fees” qualify. Call or secure chat...this should be a slam dunk. Cheers.
​​​​​
I thought things like this were viewed as "upgrades" and hence technically not covered ("Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees"). I thought only fees you are required to pay to be able to pick a seat were covered (like on ULCC which don't let you pick any seat), not optional upgraded seat selection. Am I incorrect here?
mattp_16 is offline  
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:29 pm
  #996  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 225
Originally Posted by mattp_16
​​​​​
I thought things like this were viewed as "upgrades" and hence technically not covered ("Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees"). I thought only fees you are required to pay to be able to pick a seat were covered (like on ULCC which don't let you pick any seat), not optional upgraded seat selection. Am I incorrect here?
Well, may be a “YMMV” but I have never had a problem with Alaska. Always posts without having to call. If it didn’t post, personally I’m comfortable in taking the view that Premier seating is a “seat assignment fee” and not an “upgrade” as both are in the same class or cabin. I would probably call, but a secure chat might work. OTOH, I would not expect to be reimbursed for a “first class upgrade.” Cheers.
jeepie is offline  
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:38 am
  #997  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by KL808
Data point for non MVP GLD or higher. Bought SAN-SFO for $79. Cancelled at the 23:30 hour mark. Credit posted 2 days later
Which option did you choose when you cancelled on alaska?
"Refund to original form of payment."
"Email the canceled ticket numbers and use later to retrieve the value."
  • Pay nothing today. At the time your ticket is exchanged for a new one, a per person change fee of $125 USD may apply, plus any difference in fare and taxes.
  • Save the ticket numbers you receive by email. You may use the value toward travel completed by March 8, 2020.
pnguyen32 is offline  
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:48 am
  #998  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PHX
Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Posts: 3,259
Originally Posted by endy
Can someone confirm if the following will work? I have the Amex prg and the Hilton aspire and want to use the $350 total airline credit towards an AS flight.
Book a one way $99 flight on the prg and 2 $99 one way flights on the aspire and another $50 one way flight on the aspire.
Cancel all flights about 22 hours after booking and amex will reimburse the $350 airline credits to my amex account.
Yes this will work, assuming things continue to work the way they have been. Instead of 2x99 + 1x50 for the Aspire, 3x84(or anything <100) is also an option. You don't need to be under $250 total, just <100 for each transaction. You'd get a partial credit back for the third one up to the $250 limit.
Ripper3785 is offline  
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:52 am
  #999  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PHX
Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Posts: 3,259
Originally Posted by pnguyen32
Which option did you choose when you cancelled on alaska?
"Refund to original form of payment."
"Email the canceled ticket numbers and use later to retrieve the value."
  • Pay nothing today. At the time your ticket is exchanged for a new one, a per person change fee of $125 USD may apply, plus any difference in fare and taxes.
  • Save the ticket numbers you receive by email. You may use the value toward travel completed by March 8, 2020.
Refund to original form of payment. Note the potential for change fee if you select the other option. It may not apply, but I'd rather avoid the potential for arguing over it with a rep when the alternative is simpler.
Ripper3785 is offline  
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:33 am
  #1000  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 245
Bought 2 one-way tickets for $98.30 each on 1/25. Cancelled 23 hours later on 1/26. Tickets refunded and credit posted 1/28. AS AMEX Platinum credit for $98.30 x 2 posted on 1/29.
Stockjock is offline  
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:43 pm
  #1001  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: LAX_AMS_MNL
Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Posts: 751
Here is another data point. Repeated the steps again.

Non MVP GLD here bought 3 tickets amounting to $200.90

Cancelled all three in the 23:45 min mark. All three credits posted for $200 after 2 business days.

There is NO choice to send to wallet, it goes back to your original form of payment.
KL808 is offline  
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:28 pm
  #1002  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SFO
Posts: 210
Datapoint for the Aspire, purchased 3 tickets of 80-90 each on separate occasions and cancelled 23h later. All refunds and Amex credit posted within a week.
glynot is offline  
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:33 pm
  #1003  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PHX
Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Posts: 3,259
Originally Posted by glynot
Datapoint for the Aspire, purchased 3 tickets of 80-90 each on separate occasions and cancelled 23h later. All refunds and Amex credit posted within a week.
+1 on identical datapoint.
Ripper3785 is offline  
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:47 am
  #1004  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SEA, SFO, formerly ANC
Programs: AS 1MM/MVPG, AS Lounge, DL SkyClub (Life), Hertz 5* -- AA, DL, UA
Posts: 125
Originally Posted by KL808
Here is another data point. Repeated the steps again.

Non MVP GLD here bought 3 tickets amounting to $200.90

Cancelled all three in the 23:45 min mark. All three credits posted for $200 after 2 business days.

There is NO choice to send to wallet, it goes back to your original form of payment.
IME, if cancel is within 24-hr window, only option is a refund. Beyond 24 hrs, other options are available.
akdancer is offline  
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:43 am
  #1005  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Programs: MP
Posts: 51
Purchased 2x tickets at $88.3 on 1/23. Still no reimbursement. Is this normal?
wanderingshi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.