Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:24 pm

Signed up for the new Gold card in November, selected AS as my airline.

My partner and I are flying R/T SFO - MSY in early May. (Already used the AS VISA card companion fare when we bought the tickets so saved about $500 on the initial purchase.)

Purchased a $109 *Premium Seat upgrade (one way, for one of us), and $100 was reimbursed immediately. Success with the 2018 credit.

Today, logged in to AS.com, to use the 2019 credit, again for the premium seat purchase.

Noticed that there had been a schedule and aircraft change, and my partner no longer in a premium seat. (Boeing A/C switched to ex-VX Airbus)

I called in, and the helpful agent apologized for the schedule change, and said she would move my partner back to a premium seat for the flight I had already paid for, and also upgrade the remaining legs (one of my partners, both of mine) to premium for no charge due to the inconvenience.

So, I still have my credit for 2019, and also received complimentary upgrades (3 x $109) for our flights to Jazzfest.

Thanks Alaska, great customer service.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Originally Posted by aquanine
SFO-SEA 94 saver w/ seat selection posted, was reimbursed by Amex on Dec 25. No idea why. Trying again with two more SFO-SEA 94 and SFO-SEA 69 saver fares w/ seat selection, hope this works.
Credits posted on 12/29 from 2018 allowance. Nice!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by bk99

thats a good question. Not sure why, maybe it’s just a way for them to make more money? Haha who knows!
It is always about revenue . Increase in fares, checked bag fees, AS Lounge membership, Lounge day pass fee, and onboard food prices. This coming year will probably have more changes . No longer North of Expected.
Reminder that with Saver fares, after 24 hours, cannot be canceled or changed.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pcoll
It is always about revenue . Increase in fares, checked bag fees, AS Lounge membership, Lounge day pass fee, and onboard food prices. This coming year will probably have more changes . No longer North of Expected.
Reminder that with Saver fares, after 24 hours, cannot be canceled or changed.
But the 60+ cancellation policy was actually encouraging people to lock in money with Alaska since, again, the refund was to My Wallet, not the original form of payment. So I have no idea how they thought it was a revenue-increasing move to discourage people from locking in money.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
But the 60+ cancellation policy was actually encouraging people to lock in money with Alaska since, again, the refund was to My Wallet, not the original form of payment. So I have no idea how they thought it was a revenue-increasing move to discourage people from locking in money.
It may have been more for operational advantages on their end rather then revenue management. They might have been seeing a lot of people “holding seats” that they ended up giving up for different dates or different routes entirely. It may make forecasting for them and dynamic fare adjustments easier/more accurate/more profitable if they reduce the numbers of changes going on. Changes within the 24 hour booking window probably hardly affects their system at all, but further out might. Either that, or they felt they needed to make elite standings seem more important and rather then adding something to them they decided to restrict non-elites a little more...
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:28 pm

If AS wanted to make elite standing seem more important ... they would have included some kind of advantage for MVP. As it stands now, only MPVG and 75's are able to change or cancel without penalty. MPV's are treated as non status passenger is this case.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
I was a little ambitious with my 2019 credits and made small AS charges to my Amex on the morning of January 1 pacific time.

To my surprise, the transaction dates posted as 12/31/2018, so I'll have to try again for 2019
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by soartoday
... the morning of January 1 pacific time.

Do you mean shortly after midnight (31/1) or later in the day?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:15 am

More changes will come in 2019 indeed. The VX planes will get the crappy new interiors (less seat pitch!!!, hard slimline Recaro seats, possibly green mood lighting, yuck! And No seat back IFE!!)
pcoll likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Purchased ticket for $98.30 with Gold on 1/1, canceled to my wallet late on 2/2 and used proceeds toward purchasing ticket I actually needed, with a balance of ~$30 charged to same card. Credit for $98.30 posted 1/6 and $1.70 1/7.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Gold
$98.30 ticket, cancelled after 23 hours
1/4 posted
1/7 Alaska cancellation credit posts, Amex benefit indicates $98.30 credit will post soon ($1.70 remaining)

Aspire
$68.30, $88.30, $93.30 tickets, cancelled after 23 hours
1/4 posted
1/7 Alaska cancellation credit posts, Amex benefit indicates credits will post soon ($0.10 remaining)

Last edited by aquanine; Jan 9, 2019 at 11:34 pm Reason: cancellation time
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:28 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Amex Platinum:

Purchased $90.30, $80.30 on 1/3. Charge didn't actually post until 1/7. Credit posted 1/9. Since I'm currently MVP Gold 75K, no hurry on the cancellation. Longer-than-usual delay on the charge posting.

Cheers.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
TRX date 1/3:
$100.30
$98.30
$98.30

Credit date of 1/9 for all of them, between gold and platinum cards.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:18 pm

[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by kouichi
More changes will come in 2019 indeed. The VX planes will get the crappy new interiors (less seat pitch!!!, hard slimline Recaro seats, possibly green mood lighting, yuck! And No seat back IFE!!)
EXACTLY. This will be a very sad day indeed. Many of us been enjoying pmVX since the merger. We go out of our way to try to get that equipment. So far, still able to enjoy pmVX First wonderful reclining seats. Hopefully AS will be slow in the conversion.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:32 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator reminder

This is a credit card thread. There is a separate forum for venting about the AS acquisition of VX:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...eage-plan-442/
LIH Prem, pcoll and safari ari like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.