Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
SFO-SEA 94 saver w/ seat selection posted, was reimbursed by Amex on Dec 25. No idea why. Trying again with two more SFO-SEA 94 and SFO-SEA 69 saver fares w/ seat selection, hope this works.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:38 am

Purchased SFO-SNA and SNA-SFO for $99.20 each in two separate transactions on December 18, using my card on significant other's MVPG account. Amex credit has still not posted, and my full $200 is still showing on the 'benefits' page.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Data point for non MVP GLD or higher. Bought SAN-SFO for $79. Cancelled at the 23:30 hour mark. Credit posted 2 days later
tobikosan likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:28 am

worked for me. new card activated last week and selected Alaska Airlines. Had some airfare I needed more than $100 each. Combined gift card and AMEX Platinum to purchase tickets with charges to card around $80 each on 12/24. Charges were pending until 12/27. [posted charges indicate ticket number and flight origin/destination on online statement] Fee credits posted by this morning 12/28. Thanks AMEX and flyertalk.

Last edited by midatlantian; Dec 28, 2018 at 7:31 am Reason: provide extra detail
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
AS company store purchases

I learned something interesting this month during a work trip to Seattle. If you go to the Alaska company store in person and make purchases there totaling under $100 per transaction, it will trigger the credit. However, purchases made online are run through a separate company and will NOT count towards the credit because they code as merchandise instead of travel.
aquanine likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by socalgecko
I learned something interesting this month during a work trip to Seattle. If you go to the Alaska company store in person and make purchases there totaling under $100 per transaction, it will trigger the credit. However, purchases made online are run through a separate company and will NOT count towards the credit because they code as merchandise instead of travel.
Alaska has a store? What do they sell?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by robchow
Alaska has a store? What do they sell?
Sounds as if it is pretty much the same merchandise as the web version:

https://companystore.alaskaair.com/asqxcompanystore
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP G, CZ *G, UA *S, AC *S, Hilton D, Marriott T, IHG S
Arrow AMEX Gold reimbursed

48.2&58.2 charged on 12/24, around midnight.
Canceled within 24 hours.
48.2&58.2 refunded on 12/27 along with credit of 48.2&51.8.

I did the same thing with the Aspire Card, but before receiving the airline selection confirmation email, so no reimbursement. Trying now again.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Originally Posted by aquanine
SFO-SEA 94 saver w/ seat selection posted, was reimbursed by Amex on Dec 25. No idea why. Trying again with two more SFO-SEA 94 and SFO-SEA 69 saver fares w/ seat selection, hope this works.
Follow up: neither Alaska refund (did after 23.5 hours) nor Amex credit has posted on statement, but it shows full 250 Aspire credit was consumed on the benefits page so I think it worked.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; AMEX Platinum and Gold; Marriott Platinum Elite
Amex Platinum and Gold Credit

Used my AMEX Platinum and purchased two one way Alaska flights on 12/26 - San Diego to San Francisco for $73.20 each. Charge posted on 12/29 and Amex Credit posted today 12/30.
I used my new AMEX Gold Card on 12/27 (day later than my platinum purchases) and purchased a one way Alaska flight for 93.20 - San Diego to SFO. Charge is still pending. Will follow up with this if something happens. Hopefully by by tomorrow December 31st!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If I'm trying to do the book-and-cancel to use up the credit, can I cancel immediately after booking it, or do I need to let the charge post first?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
If I'm trying to do the book-and-cancel to use up the credit, can I cancel immediately after booking it, or do I need to let the charge post first?
I am an MVP Gold with Alaska so I did not have to cancel within 24 hours like others did. No cancellation/change fees for MVP Gold or 75K. Looks like others cancelled just before 24 hour mark and it worked for them.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bk99

I am an MVP Gold with Alaska so I did not have to cancel within 24 hours like others did. No cancellation/change fees for MVP Gold or 75K. Looks like others cancelled just before 24 hour mark and it worked for them.
Yeah, last year I just booked a ticket 60+ days out and then canceled at >24 hours with a deposit to My Wallet funds. So it's my first time having to try to navigate this without the more straightforward option of just waiting for >24 hours.

Speaking of, I still don't get why they got rid of the 60+ day cancellation, since you had to take My Wallet funds and not a straight refund you were committing the money to Alaska, with a possibility of breakage if you didn't redeem the funds on time...it made it way easier to justify trying to always go with Alaska even as a non-MVPG/75K.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by bk99
Used my AMEX Platinum and purchased two one way Alaska flights on 12/26 - San Diego to San Francisco for $73.20 each. Charge posted on 12/29 and Amex Credit posted today 12/30.
I used my new AMEX Gold Card on 12/27 (day later than my platinum purchases) and purchased a one way Alaska flight for 93.20 - San Diego to SFO. Charge is still pending. Will follow up with this if something happens. Hopefully by by tomorrow December 31st!
follow up regarding my Amex gold purchase. It posted January 1st 2019 but it used my $100 credit from 2018 since the original charge was made December 27 2018. Awesome!
robchow likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Yeah, last year I just booked a ticket 60+ days out and then canceled at >24 hours with a deposit to My Wallet funds. So it's my first time having to try to navigate this without the more straightforward option of just waiting for >24 hours.

Speaking of, I still don't get why they got rid of the 60+ day cancellation, since you had to take My Wallet funds and not a straight refund you were committing the money to Alaska, with a possibility of breakage if you didn't redeem the funds on time...it made it way easier to justify trying to always go with Alaska even as a non-MVPG/75K.
thats a good question. Not sure why, maybe it’s just a way for them to make more money? Haha who knows!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.