Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by pcoll
Just checked online. NO credit posted yet.
Transaction dated 5-18 and posted to account 5-22. So, I guess I will give it a few days for credit to post.
This morning, I cancelled flights and have value in Award Wallets.
Will update if and when credit posts.
Credits posted yesterday, May 31. On all four transactions.
Ripper3785 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by pcoll
Credits posted yesterday, May 31. On all four transactions.
Same for me. Purchased 5/24 and credited yesterday 5/31. Now I need to make 2 more transactions.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold...
Purchased: Alaska Airlines
5/28 - 4 tickets: $55/$55/$44/$44 (Sept & Oct dates)

AMEX Reimbursement: 👍🏾
6/1 - In full for all tickets. $198

AS:
6/1 - cancelled all 4 tickets
✅ As of 6/1 my AS wallet shows the credit for the cancelled tickets.
Ripper3785 likes this.

Last edited by VIT-B; Jun 2, 2018 at 5:28 am
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:46 am

Another DP:

$79.20 ticket posted on May 30, received credit on Jun 3
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:59 pm

Does Airline Seat Upgrade Count

Just booked tickets to Maui in September, and i haven't used my Amex Platinum travel credit yet. Anyone recently use upgrade their seats to premium seats and get the credit back? its $99 per ticket so i am hesitant to pull the trigger unless someone has recently had success. Let me know! thanks guys
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by emofeng
Same for me. Purchased 5/24 and credited yesterday 5/31. Now I need to make 2 more transactions.
caught wind of this thread as i was trying to figure out how to use credits.

went in on the 11th hour like you and purchased a few. hopefully it works..
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: Yes.
Idea to still get amex credit into my wallet

I have been scouring AS for a refundable flight under $100 to no avail....But I think I might have just thought of a workaround. I am testing it now and will share full details at conclusion of experiment. See you in 72 hours...
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by econjon
...workaround....
A workaround is to buy AS giftcards, with any credit card. Buy an AS ticket when you need to travel. Pay most of the fare with those giftcards, and use American Express Platinum to pay the balance (under $100). American Express's system should mistake the small transaction for a fee.
LIH Prem, daedge and Beat2Def like this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:46 am

Got caught up in trying to buy a gift certificate + use the < $100 trick, but didn't realize gift certificates can't be used until 24 hours after purchase just sharing it out for passer byers trying to use Alaska for flights > $100.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by aimango
Got caught up in trying to buy a gift certificate + use the < $100 trick, but didn't realize gift certificates can't be used until 24 hours after purchase just sharing it out for passer byers trying to use Alaska for flights > $100.
This approach does take some planning. 24 hours is not bad. It does make last minute decisions more difficult.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:45 pm

Goodbye Alaskan Airlines airline reimbursement. It was fun while it lasted.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Beat2Def
Goodbye Alaskan Airlines airline reimbursement. It was fun while it lasted.
Did you read the post 3 posts above yours?

Originally Posted by mia
A workaround is to buy AS giftcards, with any credit card. Buy an AS ticket when you need to travel. Pay most of the fare with those giftcards, and use American Express Platinum to pay the balance (under $100). American Express's system should mistake the small transaction for a fee.
​​​​​​​

-David
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:11 pm

Did it work when you tried?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Beat2Def
Did it work when you tried?
What worked for me the other day was a similar method. I had a bunch of credit in my wallet and bought r/t 2 tix, after the wallet credit, each ticket was charged $68 against my Amex, so I had 2 separate Amex charges under $100 each, and that triggered the remaining travel credit on my account for this year. That is essentially the same method as using gift cards for partial payment, just using wallet credit instead of gift cards.

Also, buying food on board triggers the credit for me and 5x MR points on Amex Plat, so I use the Amex for buy on board also.

If you want the details of what works and what isn't working ...

Read the wiki post at the top of the page and then read back in the thread finding the reports you are interested in. Anything reported by the trusted regulars around here is pretty certain to work.

And then you can come back and report what worked and didn't work for you.

When one door closes often another opens up.

-David
Old Jun 22, 2018, 1:43 pm

DP: 6/14 purchased 2 tickets one $44 and one $54
6/21 both credited

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.