Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by lyniguez
not sure if this will work but booking SEA to YVR in May/June one way is 99.23 total

It needs to be under $99 or else it will round up.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:32 am

Lax SFO one ways are 48.xx each. Book for 4 separate passengers and they should all post individually
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:37 pm

finally was able to find 3 flights for 69, 69, 64 and total came out to under $200.

the actual flight amounts came out to 68.05, 68.05, 63.30 for a total of 199.40.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:08 pm

Upgraded seats for 2 on a RT flight. Two separate charges for $58 on Amex PRG. Posted 1/9, a $58 and a $42 credit on 1/12.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:03 am

I called in and now AMEX claims to have manually put my credit for the Dec 31 charge but said it would take 48 hours for it to show up. I will believe it when I see it. Still waiting and terrible delay.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 9:05 pm

Unbelievably terrible I called in today and they said the manual reimbursement was denied so I have to have the do a manual resubmit again.

Each time I have to explain it again from scratch to a non supervisor agent, even though they claimed to have written notes and it takes ten minutes or more because every agent is confused.

Now it can take 5 calendar days - supposedly the credit was approved by the supervisor on the phone I spoke to live.

Last time I will ever buy anything on January 1 again from AMEX.

Last edited by Mike Andersen; Jan 14, 2018 at 9:11 pm
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Just to clarify, is it critical to wait 24 hours before canceling the ticket and transferring the funds to the wallet? Or can we immediately cancel the ticket after the purchase and move the funds over to the wallet?

If it’s not being refunded to credit card does it matter?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:27 pm

Date points for Platinum American Express. Gold 75k member:

Jan 4 $1.35 tax
Jan 4 $41.30 tix
Jan 9 Airline reimbursement for both

Jan 8 $96.30 one way tix
Jan 12 Airline reimbursement

I plan to call and cancel the tix and ask the tix to be deposited to my wallet. Seems like it is working so far so I plan on doing for the AmEx Gold $100 as well. It's unclear whether cancelling online will allow for the auto deposit to the wallet so I figure it's easier to call.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerGuy10
Just to clarify, is it critical to wait 24 hours before canceling the ticket and transferring the funds to the wallet? Or can we immediately cancel the ticket after the purchase and move the funds over to the wallet?

If it’s not being refunded to credit card does it matter?
I haven't seen the option to cancel and deposit to the wallet until after the 24-hour refund period has expired, but I haven't looked very hard. It's easy enough to wait out the refund period and cancel the second morning after the day of purchase.

Last edited by WrightHI; Jan 15, 2018 at 1:43 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:22 pm

I was actually thinking about booking one of those Alaska airfare deals at $59 (including taxes and fees) for a quick weekend get away. So I won't be cancelling the booking. Round trip so $59 x 2.

Dumb question:
I have a PRG, so only $100 of credit. If I do two separate bookings at $59 each, will the first booking get fully reimbursed and the second booking get $41 of reimbursement, where I pay the rest of the $18 out of pocket?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by churnbie
I was actually thinking about booking one of those Alaska airfare deals at $59 (including taxes and fees) for a quick weekend get away. So I won't be cancelling the booking. Round trip so $59 x 2.

Dumb question:
I have a PRG, so only $100 of credit. If I do two separate bookings at $59 each, will the first booking get fully reimbursed and the second booking get $41 of reimbursement, where I pay the rest of the $18 out of pocket?
Yes. Assuming, of course, that the ineligible expense type is allowed. Cheers.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by WrightHI
I haven't seen the option to cancel and deposit to the wallet until after the 24-hour refund period has expired, but I haven't looked very hard. It's easy enough to wait out the refund period and cancel the second morning after the day of purchase.
As I understand it, within 24 hours of booking you are allowed to cancel an Alaska Air flight without penalty, so the payment is automatically refunded to the card used to pay for it. After 24 hours but less than 60 days before the booking, you can cancel and are given three options for the refund, one of which is to deposit the money to your Alaska Air "wallet". Such funds need to be used within a year of the original booking date. You don't see these options until you begin the cancellation process.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by lyniguez
finally was able to find 3 flights for 69, 69, 64 and total came out to under $200.

the actual flight amounts came out to 68.05, 68.05, 63.30 for a total of 199.40.
reimbursements for all 3 came through yesterday
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by seattlefreqflyer
Date points for Platinum American Express. Gold 75k member:

Jan 4 $1.35 tax
Jan 4 $41.30 tix
Jan 9 Airline reimbursement for both

Jan 8 $96.30 one way tix
Jan 12 Airline reimbursement

I plan to call and cancel the tix and ask the tix to be deposited to my wallet. Seems like it is working so far so I plan on doing for the AmEx Gold $100 as well. It's unclear whether cancelling online will allow for the auto deposit to the wallet so I figure it's easier to call.
I received reimbursements for additional flights and was able to cancel online easily. This seems to work! Not as great as the gift cards since those didn't expire and the wallet needs to be used in 1 year, but definitely a usable work around. Thanks to whoever figured this out!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:58 pm

Apologies in advance as I am trying to grasp the concept of so many things here and could use some help. Just approved for the Amex Aspire card that includes $250 airline fee reimbursement. I am also an Alaska Signature Visa Cardholder who has a buy one get one voucher that I was about to book with my Aspire (7xBonus pts) for a one way from OGG to DAL that will cost $457 including the companion fare. If I set up AS as my airline of choice with Amex how would I be able to work this to my advantage for this flight using the method mentioned that seems to be working? I am new to AS so I have no idea how my wallet works, but if I was to book a few flights under $99 and cancel them 24 hours later how do I have all of those funds credited to my wallet if they are all not booked under my name? Please help I am so lost here but would like to have as much of the $250 credit on my Amex go towards this $457 flight I am about to book.

Also follow up question regarding my wallet. If I book a few flights and then cancel them and elect for a credit certificate, am I allowed to deposit those certificates into my husband's "my wallet" or do they have to go into my wallet since I booked the flights?

Last edited by Jenn0625; Jan 19, 2018 at 3:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.