Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by pcoll
As mentioned above, when purchasing with plans to cancel AFTER 24 hours, the travel date of ticket MUST be greater than 60 days at time of cancellation.
Not sure if MVP Golds and 75's have value deposited to wallet. or that they have the option of cancelling within the 60 day timeframe.
(They do not pay cancel or change fees on tickets)
i am down to MVP now. i am doing the 10k challenge to requalify for gold. does the 60 days in advance apply to MVP as well?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
I booked three flights for about little less than $70.

Should I wait for the credit? Or can I go ahead and cancel the tickets now and put them in my wallet? I’m 75k so I can put them in my wallet whenever I want.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by Edgerfly

Should I wait for the credit? Or can I go ahead and cancel the tickets now and put them in my wallet? I’m 75k so I can put them in my wallet whenever I want.
Just make sure that it is more than 24 hours since you purchased the ticket - so that the credit can go to your wallet instead of being refunded to Amex. If the credit goes to your wallet, Amex won't see that transaction and you should get your credit in a few days. If Alaska refunds the ticket to Amex, you won't get the credit.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: AS

Your choice. (After 24 hour post purchase)
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pcoll
Your choice. (After 24 hour post purchase)
Well what are people’s experiences? And why do you have to wait 24 hours? Why not just send them immediately to your wallet, and not have them refund to the card?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:38 am

Well what are people’s experiences? And why do you have to wait 24 hours? Why not just send them immediately to your wallet, and not have them refund to the card?

Maybe you should read recent posts in this thread? You don't have to go back very far to get all the answers to your questions.

This one is answered in post #693 and by the first reply to your question by seacarl in post #708

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Feb 11, 2018 at 10:54 am
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
Quick question:
currently if you get the Delta GC, would you be reimbursed for them up to $200?

I just got the Platinum card and signed on the Airline Credit with Delta for the year...
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by 4sallypat
Quick question:
currently if you get the Delta GC, would you be reimbursed for them up to $200?

I just got the Platinum card and signed on the Airline Credit with Delta for the year...
Check the thread at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l-only-54.html for full details. Summary for Delta: gift cards are reimbursed as long as each gift card is $50. You can place multiple gift card orders in a single transaction. Contrast this with Alaska, where AS gift cards *were* reimbursed up until around the middle of last year, when the system suddenly no longer started reimbursing for them.

4sallypat likes this.

Last edited by mia; Feb 11, 2018 at 3:12 pm Reason: Format link
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Maybe you should read recent posts in this thread? You don't have to go back very far to get all the answers to your questions.

This one is answered in post #693 and by the first reply to your question by seacarl in post #708

-David
It's not totally made clear why you have to wait 24 hours. Also I'm not sure if a lot of what other people say apply to my since I'm 75K and it doesn't matter since I never get charged a fee. That's why I was wondering,

In any case, I bought 3 tickets all for about $65 that came to $199.90, and had them go into "mywallet" so I'm assuming this is going to work.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:36 pm

It's not totally made clear why you have to wait 24 hours. Also I'm not sure if a lot of what other people say apply to my since I'm 75K and it doesn't matter since I never get charged a fee. That's why I was wondering,

In any case, I bought 3 tickets all for about $65 that came to $199.90, and had them go into "mywallet" so I'm assuming this is going to work.
It has nothing to do with your status. Airlines typically offer the ability to cancel tickets within 24 hours of issue, penalty free. ... you don't want to do that, right? You want the option to credit the value to your wallet, which is what you did.

Originally Posted by seacarl
Just make sure that it is more than 24 hours since you purchased the ticket - so that the credit can go to your wallet instead of being refunded to Amex. If the credit goes to your wallet, Amex won't see that transaction and you should get your credit in a few days. If Alaska refunds the ticket to Amex, you won't get the credit.
-David
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
It has nothing to do with your status. Airlines typically offer the ability to cancel tickets within 24 hours of issue, penalty free. ... you don't want to do that, right?

-David
Simple enough. Just wanted clarification, thank you.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:26 am

Options?

I just did the usual "trick", buying 2-$100 AS GCs. Was not credited the $200 and was not aware of the change in policy or this thread. Since it's Feb, don't think I can change my preferred airline to American, or to another airline where the trick still works.

Also bought 2-RT tickets to Maui on Alaska. Looks like I can upgrade 2 seats one-way for $99 each. Anyone know if those are likely to be reimbursed, should I do that? Is there a better way to try and recapture the "lost" $200 credit?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Hilton Aspire

Hilton Aspire -
designated AS 2/7
purchased $39 ticket 2/7, posted 2/10, reimbursed 2/11
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
As an additional data point to the above:

Hilton Aspire - purchased several one-way tickets for just under $60 each as separate transactions on the same day (but not the same exact flight), reimbursed for all of them 5 days later
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Stockjock
I just did the usual "trick", buying 2-$100 AS GCs. Was not credited the $200 and was not aware of the change in policy or this thread. Since it's Feb, don't think I can change my preferred airline to American, or to another airline where the trick still works.

Also bought 2-RT tickets to Maui on Alaska. Looks like I can upgrade 2 seats one-way for $99 each. Anyone know if those are likely to be reimbursed, should I do that? Is there a better way to try and recapture the "lost" $200 credit?
Okay, here's what I did. Booked 2 RT tickets SAN-SFO. I'll probably actually use these tickets, although obviously I could credit them to my wallet if need be, as they're 5-6 months out. Booked 4, 1-way tickets @ $58.30 each. 3 of the tickets were fully reimbursed several days later and the last one was reimbursed for $25.10, or $200 total.

Last edited by Stockjock; Feb 22, 2018 at 12:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.