Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by ahhlun
Does canceling it not cost any money?
As long as you cancel more than 60 days out (or are MVPG+), there's no fee to cancel and deposit ticket value to My Wallet for later use (within one year of purchase).

DP: Bought $96.20 ticket for travel in May (SEA-PSC, if anyone's looking), canceled to My Wallet after 24 hours, and reimbursement posted a couple of days after charge did.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:52 am

Accidentally refunded a ticket too soon so it went to the card instead of the wallet. I noticed that the credit was reduced for that transaction though. I expect this will be clawed back and I will need to purchase again, does anyone have a DP on when that might happen?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by mia
American Express does not reimburse Alaska Airlines gift certificate purchases. The technique is to use gift certificates to pay most of a fare, and pay the balance (under $100) with the card, which American Express may reimburse.
Thanks Mia, for the definitive answer. I have always successfully bought the GCs ($700 worth for 2017), and didn’t think about options for 2018 until I saw your post. Then, I checked back thru this thread and it does appear this changed in May/June 2017.
Besides the workaround, what do you (and others) suggest? Which airlines? We do fly some on United and AA. For one thing, this tips the scale on renewing one of our Platinums. The $550 fee combined with the Uber hassle (for me anyway) just is a stretch now. We have Biz Plats so already have the benefits. Maybe a 30,000 retention bonus would entice me, but not sure yet. TIA.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:32 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jeepie
...We do fly some on United and AA.
Giftcard purchases are still reimbursed for AA, DL and WN.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Giftcard purchases are still reimbursed for AA, DL and WN.
mia, much obliged. You saved me some time and money!

Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:55 pm

Bought a ticket for $99.XX and it was posted on 12/5 and I still haven't received the credit. My statement period ended a few days ago, and when I click on this charge under Statement and Activity, the document type is categorized as "Passenger ticket" and it even lists the inbound and outbound airports of the ticket as well as the ticket number. It also has the "5X" MR multiplier icon next to the charge. At this point, I think it's safe to say that I won't be getting credit for this since the system clearly recognizes that charge as a ticket purchase.

I have a hunch that the reason I'm not receiving this credit is that I made the purchase too close to the end of the statement period. I'm guessing that when the statement period closes, AMEX goes through each charge to categorize which purchases are airline ticket purchases that should get "5X" MR multiplier. Anyone wanna chime in on this? One other relevant detail is that I waited ~3 days after I made the purchase to cancel and move the ticket value to My Wallet.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
My first thought was that it was because the limit is actually $99 even, which you exceeded.

Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
My first thought was that it was because the limit is actually $99 even, which you exceeded.
But other people on this thread have been reimbursed for ticket purchases greater than $99 (for example, the $99.20 charge according to post 557).
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
How much was yours exactly - 99.50+ rounded up?

Coincidentally, I just returned from the company store where I purchased $18.43 worth of tchotchkes: a deck of cards, two AS shot glasses and a Horizon coffee mug (. 23 net out-of-pocket).
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
How much was yours exactly - 99.50+ rounded up?

Coincidentally, I just returned from the company store where I purchased $18.43 worth of tchotchkes: a deck of cards, two AS shot glasses and a Horizon coffee mug (. 23 net out-of-pocket).
It was $99.20
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:55 am

I purchased one ticket on my PRG for $98.20 on 12/7, posted Dec 10, reimbursed Dec 13 and
two tickets on my Personal Platinum for $98.20 on 12/8, posted Dec 11, reimbursed Dec 13.

Edit: My statement lists the same info that scifit92 mentions in post #591 ; except i don't see a 5x multiplier icon. statement closing date is 12/29.

Last edited by pokeygirl; Dec 14, 2017 at 7:04 am
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
FYI on Business Centurion data point:

Purchased 3 sub-$100 AS tickets totaling ~196 on 12/8 for travel in May 2018
Transactions confirmed on Amex on 12/13 (with a 12/8 post date -- sat in pending for a while, as others have noted)
Amex reimbursements appeared on 12/14 with a 12/13 post date

Will cancel tickets with AS now for travelbank credit (well outside of the 60 day cancel policy for AS credit into my account)
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by mysnoopy
Did you buy your AS gift certificate from AS website and what is your transaction looked like? I bought mind on 11/24 but haven’t received any credit yet. thx
My transaction looks like, I didn't get the credit for 2 weeks.NOV30ALASKA AIR GIFT CERT - SEATTLE, WA$50.00Doing business as:
ALASKA AIRLINES
View Details on Merchant Website
20833 INTERNATIONAL BLVD
SEATAC
WA
UNITED STATES

Category: Travel - Airline

Transaction Details
Description
AIRLINE FBO
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:49 pm

Gift certs have not worked for a while.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by crimsona
Gift certs have not worked for a while.
I have edited the Wikipost to make this information more prominent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.