Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:15 pm
  #91  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3
so if I am booking a flight from Alaska Airlines, but the flight is operated by American Airlines (they do a lot of these) should I enroll for American rather than Alaska? (too bad if so because I will fly more often on Alaska Airlines).
alfansome is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2014, 3:25 am
  #92  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Posts: 1,005
Originally Posted by alfansome
so if I am booking a flight from Alaska Airlines, but the flight is operated by American Airlines (they do a lot of these) should I enroll for American rather than Alaska? (too bad if so because I will fly more often on Alaska Airlines).
First of all, welcome to FlyerTalk! I hope you find the information here as useful as I have found it.

If I am reading your question right, you are booking a codeshare flight through Alaska's website. Thus you would be paying Alaska, and not American.

It would be a safe bet to enroll in Alaska and purchase gift certs to apply them to your trip. Read previous posts about getting reimbursed for gift certificates. I think generally the safest bet is to buy (4) $50 gift certificates with your AMEX Platinum (others correct me if I'm wrong) to use your $200 credit. Otherwise, you can buy Alaska Boardroom passes, in-flight meals, etc. (not including WiFi) with your Alaska enrollment.

Even though Alaska is selling the ticket, you will be flying on American. I doubt you would be spending $200 on booze and snacks for one flight.
bj27 is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:03 am
  #93  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by bj27
First of all, welcome to FlyerTalk! I hope you find the information here as useful as I have found it.

If I am reading your question right, you are booking a codeshare flight through Alaska's website. Thus you would be paying Alaska, and not American.

It would be a safe bet to enroll in Alaska and purchase gift certs to apply them to your trip. Read previous posts about getting reimbursed for gift certificates. I think generally the safest bet is to buy (4) $50 gift certificates with your AMEX Platinum (others correct me if I'm wrong) to use your $200 credit. Otherwise, you can buy Alaska Boardroom passes, in-flight meals, etc. (not including WiFi) with your Alaska enrollment.

Even though Alaska is selling the ticket, you will be flying on American. I doubt you would be spending $200 on booze and snacks for one flight.
thanks for the response

yes, I am purchasing the ticket from Alaska Airlines website for an American roundtrip flight (because it was much less expensive than through American for same flights).

Based on 2 travelers with one checked bag each there will be at least an additional $100 so I am hoping to use the amex incidental fee reimbursement. If I purchase Alaska gift certs will American accept them for these types of charges (checked baggage at airport and inflight expenses)? Even though I am buying the ticket from Alaska, I thought these other types of expenses would be paid to American which is operating the flight, checkin, etc.
alfansome is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:36 am
  #94  
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Posts: 49,168
Originally Posted by alfansome
... If I purchase Alaska gift certs will American accept them for these types of charges (checked baggage at airport and inflight expenses)?
No, the suggestion is that you purchase the giftcards to use toward future travel on AS rather than using the benefit to reimburse incidental expenses on this codeshare trip. If you do wish to use the benefit on this trip you will need to choose AA as your airline.

Last edited by mia; Jan 30, 2014 at 6:49 am
mia is offline  
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:01 am
  #95  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by mia
No, the suggestion is that you purchase the giftcards to use toward future travel on AS rather than using the benefit to reimburse incidental expenses on this codeshare trip. If you do wish to use the benefit on this trip you will need to choose AA as your airline.
ok; thanks.
alfansome is offline  
Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:18 pm
  #96  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 376
$100=fail

Originally Posted by bizum
Bought 2x100 certs on 1/6. Still waiting on the credit
Maybe this was too high. Oh well.

May try again with a $25
bizum is offline  
Old Feb 8, 2014, 9:25 am
  #97  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Corvallis
Programs: AS MVP, A3 Gold, IHG Spire
Posts: 186
I've done 2x $50's over the past 2 weeks, no issues and credit appeared in 3 days.
VWTim is offline  
Old Feb 9, 2014, 2:06 pm
  #98  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 376
Confirmed:
$100 failed but $25 worked - reimbursed in 2 days.
bizum is offline  
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:56 am
  #99  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 376
Final results

Originally Posted by bizum
Confirmed:
$100 failed but $25 worked - reimbursed in 2 days.
2x$25 worked as well (it registered as a single $50 trans)


Moral of the story - don't do $100
bizum is offline  
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:31 am
  #100  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FAI
Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 43,025
On alaskaair.com in February 2014:

Day 1 $50 GC
Day 3 $50 GC
Day 4 first $50 credited
Day 4 2x $50 GC's
Day 6 2nd $50 credited
Day 7 3&4th $50 credited

Used 3 of 4 credits already ^
beckoa is offline  
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:40 am
  #101  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by beckoa
On alaskaair.com in February 2014:

Day 1 $50 GC
Day 3 $50 GC
Day 4 first $50 credited
Day 4 2x $50 GC's
Day 6 2nd $50 credited
Day 7 3&4th $50 credited

Used 3 of 4 credits already ^
Followed this advice and bought one $50 GC every day for four days last week. All were credited by a week later ^
kathode is offline  
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:41 am
  #102  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FAI
Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 43,025
Originally Posted by kathode
Followed this advice and bought one $50 GC every day for four days last week. All were credited by a week later ^
Awesome ^

Just keep track of the credits. I still have one I need to use (but there's a tempting ANC-OGG fare I have on hold now )
beckoa is offline  
Old May 13, 2014, 9:47 pm
  #103  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 197
Just bought two $50 GCs to test it out as I have a trip on AS coming up. I'll confirm with a following post

How long has it taken for people to receive their eGCs from AS?

Last edited by mia; May 14, 2014 at 12:09 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts
unkn0wns0ldier is offline  
Old May 14, 2014, 12:21 pm
  #104  
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Posts: 49,168
Originally Posted by unkn0wns0ldier
How long has it taken for people to receive their eGCs from AS?
Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...tificates.html
mia is offline  
Old May 14, 2014, 1:38 pm
  #105  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 197
Originally Posted by kathode
Followed this advice and bought one $50 GC every day for four days last week. All were credited by a week later ^
When you say 2x $50 are you saying you ordered both in the same order? I did that and the charge showed up as a single $100 charge. As I've read earlier in this post any charge above $50 doesn't get the credit... can you tell me whether you were charged 2 transactions of $50 or 1 of $100?
unkn0wns0ldier is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.