Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) Extended Warranty reports

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Perhaps not EW, but could you leverage Amex purchase protection or return protection in this case? The product no longer functions, and you have no satisfactory way to repair or return it.

(I have no idea the language of those other Amex protection policies - just thinking aloud.)
Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Perhaps not EW, but could you leverage Amex purchase protection or return protection in this case? The product no longer functions, and you have no satisfactory way to repair or return it.

(I have no idea the language of those other Amex protection policies - just thinking aloud.)
Both are limited to 90 days. Unfortunately the phone is beyond that (5 months)
Old Sep 23, 2016, 12:46 pm

Hi everyone,

My wife and I will be closing on our first house next month, so we're going to have some pretty significant purchases to make (appliances, electronics, furniture, etc). It appears that the purchase protections are similar across Amex cards. It also seems that the process is similar across all cards.

Is there any advantage to making purchases on the Platinum (better service if I need to initiate some sort of claim?) as opposed to the EDP where I could get an extra .5 MR/$? It sounds like I just need to make a purchase on any Amex and the service would be the same, but I just want to be sure to avoid any future headaches. The extra .5 MR will certainly add up.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by TheFreakShow
Hi everyone,

My wife and I will be closing on our first house next month, so we're going to have some pretty significant purchases to make (appliances, electronics, furniture, etc). It appears that the purchase protections are similar across Amex cards. It also seems that the process is similar across all cards.

Is there any advantage to making purchases on the Platinum (better service if I need to initiate some sort of claim?) as opposed to the EDP where I could get an extra .5 MR/$? It sounds like I just need to make a purchase on any Amex and the service would be the same, but I just want to be sure to avoid any future headaches. The extra .5 MR will certainly add up.
IIRC the Platinum has higher coverage limits vs. many other cards. Worth reviewing the specific policy documents and T&Cs - you can get to them under the "Benefits" tab on the Amex website when you're logged in.

Of course, if the policy limit on your EDP is still enough to cover whatever purchase you're making, then you're covered either way.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:17 pm

I bought an iPhone in November 2014 using my AMEX Blue Cash card. Today I just noticed that the phone is having a problem that looks to be a hardware problem, making the phone unusable but probably not too expensive to fix ($60?). I've never used AMEX extended warranty before; what are my options? Can I just have Apple or some other company repair it and bill AMEX? Contact AMEX first?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 1:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
... what are my options? ...
How do I file a claim?
You should report the Occurrence immediately following the loss. You can easily file a claim by calling 1-800-225-3750 or online at www.AmericanExpress.com/onlineclaim. You must provide proof of purchase and satisfactory proof of the covered Occurrence while coverage is in effect to qualify for benefits under the Extended Warranty. Remember to keep all your American Express® Card charge receipts, original store receipts, original manufacturers’ warranties, and products requiring repair until the claim process is complete. You may also be asked to obtain a repair estimate. The program administrator will decide whether to have the item repaired or replaced, or to reimburse you up to the amount charged to the Card, and not to exceed the original purchase price. Extended Warranty does not reimburse for shipping and handling expenses or installation, assembly, or other service charges. You can check the status of your claim on line at www.AmericanExpress.com/onlineclaim or call the Extended Warranty toll free number at 1-800-225-3750.
http://www.americanexpress.com/us/co...nty/faq.html#5

Read full policy here: https://web.aexp-static.com/us/conte...W-DOC-CCSG.pdf
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
IIRC the Platinum has higher coverage limits vs. many other cards. Worth reviewing the specific policy documents and T&Cs - you can get to them under the "Benefits" tab on the Amex website when you're logged in.

Of course, if the policy limit on your EDP is still enough to cover whatever purchase you're making, then you're covered either way.
It looks like the extended warranty is the same on both (up to $10,000), but the purchase protection is $10,000 per item on Plat vs. $1,000 on EDP. So basically I need to consider whether the items exceeding $1,000 might be damaged in the first 90 days.

I think just for peace of mind I'll go with the Plat. Thanks for leading me to consider this!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
Most Citibank credit cards offer 2 years of extended warranty (vs. Amex's 1 yr). Further, Citibank cards offer price protection (either 90 or 120 days); Amex offers no such protection.

So, close loop or not, for electronics I will put all my expenditures on my Citi card.
I think all citi bank cards offer extra 2 years of extended warranty as of 5/15/2016:

Changes to Citi card insurance 11/23/14 and 5/15/2016

Citi price protection (a.k.a. price rewind) is valid for 60 days. Citi will try to find the best price for you automatically with the option of finding it yourself as well. Chase is valid for 90 days, but you have to find the ads yourself.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
Most Citibank credit cards offer 2 years of extended warranty (vs. Amex's 1 yr). Further, Citibank cards offer price protection (either 90 or 120 days); Amex offers no such protection.

So, close loop or not, for electronics I will put all my expenditures on my Citi card.
Thanks. Didn't realize that and have been using SPG AMEX for the past decade. Going to switch over electronics spend to Prestige.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:28 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
Going to switch over electronics spend to Prestige.
Two considerations:

1. You need to retain the card account that you used to make the purchases. That's the reason issuers offer this type of benefit. I have held Citi Chairman/Prestige for a decade, but Citi has a culture of tinkering with cards and programs, and others might not be as patient. There is a parallel consideration about the future of the American Express SPG card. Even if American Express continues to issue Marriott co-branded cards, will you want to miss the opportunity to earn a new product bonus? (Mixed reports on American Express honoring claims if the card account used to make the purchase has been closed but others are open.)

2. Citi's Extended Warranty explicitly excludes normal wear and tear where no failure has occurred. To my knowledge American Express does not include this stipulation. This may not be important, the underlying manufacturer's warranty probably includes such language, which either insurer could use to deny a claim, but it might be a clue to the insurer's mindset.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by cloudybw
I think all citi bank cards offer extra 2 years of extended warranty as of 5/15/2016:

Changes to Citi card insurance 11/23/14 and 5/15/2016

Citi price protection (a.k.a. price rewind) is valid for 60 days. Citi will try to find the best price for you automatically with the option of finding it yourself as well. Chase is valid for 90 days, but you have to find the ads yourself.
And i think Citi's price protection extends to Black Friday prices as well whereas Chase's protection likely does not. Amex unfortunately, doesn't even offer price protection...at least not on my Amex card.

Last edited by mia; Oct 1, 2016 at 2:36 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies. Remove cross posted content.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:42 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by mia
1. You need to retain the card account that you used to make the purchases. That's the reason issuers offer this type of benefit. ... (Mixed reports on American Express honoring claims if the card account used to make the purchase has been closed but others are open.)
Personally, I have made several successful claims extended warranty claims with Amex for items (some rather costly) purchased with closed cards as have a couple of friends. So, it doesn't seem you need to keep the Amex card open to have the warranty protection.

Other card issuers are very likely a different story.

This is one factor that makes the new Costco Visa from Citi an attractive proposition. No annual fee may make this one a keeper along with the two year extended warranty protection against Amex one year.

For the moment I am sticking with Amex due to previous low hassle claims experience against high hassle Visa claims.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by cloney
Just wanted to share my recent experience with Amex Extended Warranty with a purchase I had less than 2 years ago.

I purchased a phone directly from the manufacturer in 2013 and the phone just started dying almost 8 months after the initial warranty end. I was bummed but I sent the phone in to get a quote to repair while opening a claim on the americanexpress.com/onlineclaims. The process was painless, I submitted but didnt hear anything back until 4 days later, it asked for my itemized receipt which I had in my email and then nothing for another 7 days. I woke up one day and received an email from Assurion saying my claim was closed and here's the paperwork. Lo and behold they ended my claim and credited the ENTIRE cost of the phone purchase into my card. That's it. No phone calls nothing, they just credited the entire purchase with no questions asked after filling out the initial claim.

3 thumbs up to this process.
What was your claim amount and typically how much spend do you put on your card?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:25 am

Just had a great experience with Amex Extended Warranty thru BCE (very low spend this year). One of the keys on my keyboard (<$100) had stopped working well. I bought it 10/11/2013 with a manu. warranty of 2 years. Submitted the claim, dated loss to 10/1/16, and Amex approved it the next day, no questions asked!

I've tried using Discover's claim service before and they wanted receipts, statements, and repair estimates.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:05 pm

Will I earn points against purchases made if I have credit?

I received a warranty credit for about $1k for an item through AMEX's extended warranty.

I have the basic Amex Hilton Card with no fee that earns me 7 HHonors points for Hilton stays and 5 for gas, restaurants and 3 for every other purchase.

My question is, if I stay at a Hilton Hotel and say my stay totals $1k (effectively using up the credit I have on Amex), I presume I would not earn any of the points (no 7k points)

I just want to verify, because if so, then I'd use my Citibank Hilton Card (which only earns me 6 points per dollar) but woudl still generate me points and save the Amex credit to use for everyday purchases that earn only 3 points.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.