Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex PERSONAL platinum 100k mr point sign-up bonus

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by Henry82
Ok, point taken. Value of 100k MR points >> $450+credit inquiry hit.

Points aside, my question still remains: Can I cancel the card before the $450 annual fee hits? I'm new to cards with annual fees (never had one before).
The fee will be charged to your first statement, so canceling before it hits is not really doable. However, if you cancel before the year is out, Amex may prorate the fee to the time you actually held the card.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 4:28 pm

The 100K MR points can be exchanged for 150,000 BA miles (50% promo until 7/31) which is enough for an F class ticket. The various charges to fly to LHR are very high but last time I checked you could use the miles to fly CX from NA to Asia for about $300 in fees, give or take.

Or you could use the 100K points to redeem for $1,000 worth of gift cards at various retailers (do not redeem for AMEX gift cards as those cost 2 points/$). That's enough to pay for 2 years of plat membership or, if you cancel in the first year, make a $500 "profit."

And, who knows, you might actually like the plat card. So why not give it a year?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 7:07 pm

OK. I did this previous post one week before my Italy Trip.

Here is the update after that post.

I rechecked my account earlier next morning and found out the 50K extra points had been posted to my account. Then I transferred this "extra" "extra" bonus to Delta. With Delta's 50% promotion and Medallion points, I immediately became the Medallion Silver member. So I simply made another call to Delta asked them to make me and my husband better seats on the Italy trip began only days after. They did! My long haul part of the trip was much better -- from the original row 43 to row 18, with checking in "Zone 2". It was all so smooth!

Best of all, I was able to use the Priority Pass AE given me to access Amsterdam's airport lounge and had great time for my 5 hours layover there (although the shower room was not available that day and my husband had to pay $27 for using the lounge). We really felt refreshed when we left the lounge! Then on the way back home, I simply used AE platinum card for the Detroit Delta lounge and my husband didn't need to pay any penny. They even gave me a 300 bonus point for accessing the lounge.

No regrets at all since I applied AE Platinum card this February. BTW, one hotel in Venice charged me 3 EURO for making a international collect call to AE although I kept trying to tell them I shouldn't pay it. Then I reported it to AE last Friday after I came home, AE calculated that 3 Euro equals to $4.26 based on that days EX rate then round it up to $5 and posted it as a credit to my account. Amazing!

Originally Posted by ColumbusUrbanLife
I called Membership Rewards customer service, told them I want that 50K difference. I applied AE platinum this Feb.. I said I can give him the promotion code, but he said it is not necessary because he saw several different options in front of him. He said all he needed to do is to check my account, then 2 minutes later, he came back and told me I'm going to get it immediately. Million thanks!
Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:42 am

My father applied for this card on May 28 using 25K/$1000 offer.
He completed spending requirement of $1000 yesterday. He called Membership Rewards line (+1-800-297-3276) and asked them if 100K/$1000 offer can be applied. He also gave Bonus ID: 5748. After 5 minute hold, he was told they the offer cannot be applied until 8 week have passed after the spending requirement. The rep put a note on his account and asked to call after 8 weeks.

I was thinking he can send a secure message and asking them if they can apply offer right now so that he can take advantage of one of transfer bonus with BA or DL.
Do you think that will work or is it possible that they can remove the note and say offer cannot be applied to this account?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by flltravel
My father applied for this card on May 28 using 25K/$1000 offer.
He completed spending requirement of $1000 yesterday. He called Membership Rewards line (+1-800-297-3276) and asked them if 100K/$1000 offer can be applied. He also gave Bonus ID: 5748. After 5 minute hold, he was told they the offer cannot be applied until 8 week have passed after the spending requirement. The rep put a note on his account and asked to call after 8 weeks.

I was thinking he can send a secure message and asking them if they can apply offer right now so that he can take advantage of one of transfer bonus with BA or DL.
Do you think that will work or is it possible that they can remove the note and say offer cannot be applied to this account?
Has his payment gone through already? Usually the bonus points post within a week of the payment being recorded. You can pay before the statement date. Once they can see the payment has gone through, you can call again and usually they will expedite the points.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by ddallas
Has his payment gone through already? Usually the bonus points post within a week of the payment being recorded. You can pay before the statement date. Once they can see the payment has gone through, you can call again and usually they will expedite the points.
So if I understand correctly, you are saying pay today the bill and then once it has posted, call them? (even though statement date may be at the end of this month?)
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:10 pm

Anyone successfully apply for a new card with 100K Bonus

I heard someone got this offer in mail. Is the link public?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by uszkanni
The 100K MR points can be exchanged for 150,000 BA miles (50% promo until 7/31) which is enough for an F class ticket. The various charges to fly to LHR are very high but last time I checked you could use the miles to fly CX from NA to Asia for about $300 in fees, give or take.

And, who knows, you might actually like the plat card. So why not give it a year?
uszkanni, thanks for the input! I going to do the BA +50% transfer promo and save the miles for CX F class travel in 2012. And you're right, I'll try out the benefits for a year, see how it goes.

So if I understand correctly, you are saying pay today the bill and then once it has posted, call them? (even though statement date may be at the end of this month?)
flltravel, data point: I called into MR customer service yesterday to "confirm" that the 100k / $1000 spend offer was applied to my account (it was, per offer #5890) and the CSR mentioned the same thing that the points would post after payment is made.

Originally Posted by untamed
I heard someone got this offer in mail. Is the link public?
Negative. You have to call in to the MR customer service dept or try your luck with secure messaging.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 7:13 pm

Yes.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of lounge access rules moved to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...amex-plat.html
Old Jun 8, 2011, 7:07 am

Is the 100K bonus id 5748 or 5478?...both are mentioned in this thread
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by joyful1
Is the 100K bonus id 5748 or 5478?...both are mentioned in this thread
The right code is 5748. I think some one accidentally switched the digits.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 9:02 am

Thanks...not sure if I'll apply now...just finish reading the whole thread and see it's for 1st time applicants...the 50K link states it also...I just got the AMEX PRG a few weeks ago and don't want to chance getting approved and not getting MR points.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: *S, UA, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz, Avis, Amex Plat
Can I get it?

Hello, I'm a newbie to this website. I am planning to apply for Amex Plat card without receiving any invitation. I currently have Blue and Corporate gold from them. My question is, if I apply online will I be eligible for 100k points benefit? Is there a working website link that I can use? Appreciate your help in advance. In case y'all wondering why I need the card, I am travelling a lot these days and I've some international travels coming up. Thanks again!
Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:17 pm

There is no active link for 100k points offer. You have to apply for 25000 points/ $1000 spend offer online and then once you get the card and activate it, you can call Membership rewards to get additional 75000 points by saying when you applied another offer was available giving 100k points for $1000 spending. If necessary, give them bonus code 5748.
If representative declines, call back.

(It might be better to call after spending $1000.)

Now even if you do not get this offer, think of it this way.
You will pay $450 fee. You will get $250 (25000 points) and another $200 in airline gift cards/ fees using AMEX platinum airline credit (read the thread about $200 credit for more details). So you basically get free card with lots of benefits including lounge access.
Now if you transfer those 25000 points to some airline freq flyer program when some bonus is being offered they are worth much more than $250. (For example, BA is offering 50% bonus points till July 31).

So, I feel there is not much to loose in this deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.