Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex PERSONAL platinum 100k mr point sign-up bonus

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2011, 1:08 pm

Is there a working link to the 50k offer or is that dead?

Should I apply thru the existing 25k offers and email to get up to 100k?

Thanks.
Old May 31, 2011, 1:51 pm

You can click on a 25k offer and change the URL to 50K. I would be hesitant to do that if you already have an amex card because the terms of the 50k indicate "valid for first time american express card holders" whereas the 25k offers only stipulate first time platinum card.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
I applied recently with zero (didn't realize there was a promo happening) called CSR and got 50 when I mentioned 100. Once I get the card I'll call MR and hit them up for the 100...
Old Jun 1, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
I applied recently with zero (didn't realize there was a promo happening) called CSR and got 50 when I mentioned 100. Once I get the card I'll call MR and hit them up for the 100...
I just upgraded from G to P and got the 25k bonus. All other attempts online and on phone for additional MR points has been unsuccessful so far.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:48 am

Same with me -- I applied pursuant to a link I found by googling that appeared to be a 50k link that was still working. Got card yesterday, and they didn't show the 50k bonus, but I talked them into it pretty easily. Docs with the card also said $0 for the first year.

After the spend I'll give the 100k a shot, but feel pretty good even if I don't get it. With $0 for the first year, and the $200 travel incidentals bonus plus a free year of lounge acces, plus 50k points, it's hard to see a downside. I might even keep the card.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 8:59 am

Deleted
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:48 pm

Not sure I understand. Why did they match 50 and not 100? Or did they indicate they would match 100 later? If not, what leads you to think they would match 100 after matching 50?
Old Jun 2, 2011, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
Not sure I understand. Why did they match 50 and not 100? Or did they indicate they would match 100 later? If not, what leads you to think they would match 100 after matching 50?
Your question wasn't to me, but here's how I am approaching it. There are very few reports of people being given the 100k offer before the spend or when activating the card. Since there are reports that people are being told the 100k offer is in the system at least through July, my strategy was to apply for the card, get it, get the spend done, and then try to get up to the 100k. It seems most of the people talking their way into more points are talking themselves into an extra 50k after they get the first 50k.

When I got the card this week, it was pursuant to an outdated link for 50k. When I called to activate, they said they could not see any bonus attached to the card. That gave me a quandry -- go for the whole 100k enchillada at once, or try to do it in two steps. I took the more conservative approach and said the link I used said I'd get 50k. I thought if I asked for the 100k, they'd tell me no, and 25k, and then I'd lose leverage. They put me on hold and agreed to 50k. So, I'll do my spend quickly, wait until the 50k hits the account, and then try what others here have done. If I only end up with 50k, so be it.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Any links?

Tried to apply for this and hopefully get 50000 MR. All the links I searched were either non-existing or for 25000MR only.
Hoping to still get this deal and like some of you out there, I too will be happy with just the 50k.

If any one have a good link I can use, please post or perhaps PM me with the info.

Thanks
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Cancel before Annual Fee?

I have to ask... is it possible to cancel the Platinum card before the annual fee hits? I applied and got approved for the Platinum, but haven't yet activated the card. I honestly won't keep the card if it's going to cost me $450 per year, despite the benefits.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Henry82
I have to ask... is it possible to cancel the Platinum card before the annual fee hits? I applied and got approved for the Platinum, but haven't yet activated the card. I honestly won't keep the card if it's going to cost me $450 per year, despite the benefits.
What did you think it was going to cost?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by jspira
What did you think it was going to cost?
I knew about the $450 annual fee going in... but I changed my mind after applying.

It's FlyerTalk's fault really... you see, I stumbled upon this site not too long ago (see registration date) and the first thing I got hooked on was the AMEX Plat card... so I signed up for that thinking "I gotta jump on this fast!". Next thing I know, I find the AMEX PRGold Card, which compared to the Plat, IS a better deal mileage-wise (75k miles/$500 spend/1st annual fee waived)... so I signed up for that. Next thing I know, I'm browsing the CITI AAdvantage card threads and I'm starting to feel this is a bit overwhelming (but exhilarating, too).

So, that being said, maybe I'll keep the Plat after it's all said and done, but I'd like to hear if anyone has had experience with this card and cancelling before the annual fee hits (or does AMEX prorate the fee, etc.).
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:10 am

You'd be an idiot to cancel if approved. You've already taken the inquiry hit, and if you play your cards right you'd get 100K points (worth 150K miles if you converted them to BA). If you don't think 100K points are worth $450 I can guarantee there would an endless supply of FTers willing to send $450 your way for 100K points, and let you keep all the other card benefits.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by HikerT
You'd be an idiot to cancel if approved. You've already taken the inquiry hit, and if you play your cards right you'd get 100K points (worth 150K miles if you converted them to BA). If you don't think 100K points are worth $450 I can guarantee there would an endless supply of FTers willing to send $450 your way for 100K points, and let you keep all the other card benefits.
Ok, point taken. Value of 100k MR points >> $450+credit inquiry hit.

Points aside, my question still remains: Can I cancel the card before the $450 annual fee hits? I'm new to cards with annual fees (never had one before).
Old Jun 4, 2011, 1:17 am

Yes, you can cancel at any time and get a pro-rated refund of the annual fee. Keep in mind you get $200 in travel credit for incidentals, so the fee is closer to $250, ignoring the many other benefits such as lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.