Amex PERSONAL platinum 100k mr point sign-up bonus

Old May 21, 2011, 1:09 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by chespeak2002
I was denied today by calling MR despite the fact that my account has been notated (called a few weeks ago, CSR said OK and notated my account, wanted me to call back after $1k spend).

I have been with AMEX since 1999, this does give me a bad feeling towards AMEX, it's even worse than an out-right denial. What get me is AMEX's inconsistency, not missing extra 50K per se, who can/can't get it, MR CSR will give you different stories and even expiration dates of the promos.

I got Chase to match two offers: CO 25K->50K(applied 6 months+), Sapphire 25K->50K, so much easier than AMEX. I'd say Chase has done much better than AMEX.
Did you ask them to look at the notation or mention who you spoke to, what time, etc? I called again today and mentioned the the same (that I met the spend, account was notated, etc) and he confirmed all that but said I would have to wait 8 weeks from when I met the spend before they can manually add the points. So apparently I have to call again after 8 weeks. I wonder what they will say in 8 weeks?? (That the promotion has expired!)
Old May 21, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Drile
This still worked as of yesterday afternoon. No pushback whatsoever. Thanks!
I received my upgrade offer to go from gold to platinum Amex. Currently the code is 3892 and gets you 25000 MR points. Should I upgrade online and then call and ask for the additional points or do the entire upgrade over the phone and request the points at that time? Thanks for any tips!
Old May 22, 2011, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL PL, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy PL
Is there a link to get the 100k offer with a new application? Or should I just call and quote the offer code to the rep.
I don't see a place to enter the offer code on the main application site.
Old May 22, 2011, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by rich0215
Is there a link to get the 100k offer with a new application? NO

Or should I just call and quote the offer code to the rep. YES
Old May 23, 2011, 5:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Gold AND Plat?

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but has anyone been able to get BOTH:
- AmEx Premier Rewards Gold Card: 75k MR / $500 or $1000 spend (FT Thread)
- AmEx Platinum Card: 100k MR / $1000 spend
Old May 23, 2011, 11:04 am

Any advice would be helpful here.

I have a gold card. I've never had a platinum card. I called the number on the back of my card to see whether they would let me upgrade and get the 100k using 5478. The agent was able to pull up the offer, said it seemed to apply, but that I would need to call 1-877-801-4221 to apply. That number gives me back a "this number is no longer working" message. Any other thoughts of what to try?

Edit: I've now tried pretty much every tactic or number I can think of, but nobody will take a new application for me, applying bonus code 5478. They all seem pretty hip to what I'm doing and all demand my RSVP code. I've gotten them to pull up the offer and they concede it does appear to apply, but I can't get anyone to actually apply it. If there is any advice to make this work for a new application, I'd love to hear it. Applying for the 25k and then hoping for the 75k seems like the only real option.

Last edited by lkar; May 23, 2011 at 11:41 am
Old May 23, 2011, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by lkar
Edit: I've now tried pretty much every tactic or number I can think of, but nobody will take a new application for me, applying bonus code 5478. They all seem pretty hip to what I'm doing and all demand my RSVP code. I've gotten them to pull up the offer and they concede it does appear to apply, but I can't get anyone to actually apply it. If there is any advice to make this work for a new application, I'd love to hear it. Applying for the 25k and then hoping for the 75k seems like the only real option.
I assume you're talking about the Gold Card?

I can't offer any positive advice, but I confirm your findings:
I signed up and got approved for the 10k Plat offer, planning to upgrade to 50k/100k through MR. I then did further digging and found the Gold Card thread and figured I'd go for that instead. (Reasoning: 50k/75k Gold Card with 1~2 years $175 annual fee waived vs. 50k/100k Plat card with $450 annual fee.)

So, I've been trying to sign up for the Gold Card through new applications over the phone (800-223-2670). On separate and multiple tries, asked for the 75k offer quoting bonus ID #1935 and for the 50k offer quoting ID #5889. All with no success. The new applications dept is indeed strict on the bonus offers and require RSVP code ("starts with a letter... etc.").

In the end, I signed up for the 25k/$1000 spend offer, and plan to upgrade to the 50k/75k offer through MR.
Old May 23, 2011, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Henry82
I assume you're talking about the Gold Card?
Hi -- thanks. No actually, I was referring to the plat. Apparently, 5478 is still an active code that has not yet expired offering 100k for signing up for the platinum. But I can't get anyone to let me apply for it. I was wondering whether there's any way to make a new application for that card under that code, or whether people think it may still be possible to get the 100k on the platinum by applying for a platinum under the current deal -- 25k -- and then trying to get the additional 75k later or whether that ship has already passed.
Old May 23, 2011, 8:14 pm

Hi -- thanks. No actually, I was referring to the plat. Apparently, 5478 is still an active code that has not yet expired offering 100k for signing up for the platinum. But I can't get anyone to let me apply for it. I was wondering whether there's any way to make a new application for that card under that code, or whether people think it may still be possible to get the 100k on the platinum by applying for a platinum under the current deal -- 25k -- and then trying to get the additional 75k later or whether that ship has already passed.
Gotcha. It sounds like you're trying to get the better plat offer, I'm trying to get the better gold offer... both of us are trying to do it by 1) signing up for the standard offer, then 2) upgrading through MR.

For ref, HansDKNY over on the Gold Card thread did the above with success.
Old May 24, 2011, 3:27 pm

How long does it take to get the card once you get approved? I'm wondering whether, if I apply today for the 25k, I'd still have a chance of trying to parlay it into the extra 75k by trying to use one of the codes when I call to activate.
Old May 24, 2011, 6:00 pm

How long does it take to get the card once you get approved? I'm wondering whether, if I apply today for the 25k, I'd still have a chance of trying to parlay it into the extra 75k by trying to use one of the codes when I call to activate.
Regular Snail mail from Omaha, AmEx prints 7~10 days, but realistically should be 4~5 days.
Old May 24, 2011, 6:40 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
You can get them to overnight it to you if you call in.
Old May 24, 2011, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Aaron01
You can get them to overnight it to you if you call in.
True story, but only if you apply over the phone and ask for the card to be overnight'd to you on the same phone call.

I applied online, got the email approval, then tried to call in to get the card overnight'd... two separate CSR's said it can't be done because the card is already approved.
Old May 24, 2011, 8:23 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Henry82
Regular Snail mail from Omaha, AmEx prints 7~10 days, but realistically should be 4~5 days.
Just curious. . .do they still send it in the fancy looking box with the benefits guide included, or is it just in a normal envelope?
Old May 24, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
Just curious. . .do they still send it in the fancy looking box with the benefits guide included, or is it just in a normal envelope?
It's not the box anymore, now it's a booklet that comes in a normal envelope. Definitely some cost cutting, but it's not a big deal IMO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.