Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2011, 4:29 pm

Troyhouse-

Yes...I bought 1 -$50 Electronic GC lst to see if I would get the credit. I received reimbursement one day after it was moved from pending to activity

Then I bought 1- $100, and 1- $50 -- all separate transactions

Last edited by metoo; Sep 11, 2011 at 4:50 pm
Old Sep 11, 2011, 6:46 pm

I just enrolled in 200$ Travel Credit and got following message. It seems that I am somehow enrolled for 2 years and cannot change my selection till 2012. I thought I could change it every year.

Is this something changed recently?
Thank you!

You have successfully enrolled your Card listed below.

When you incur incidental fees while traveling with the airline you selected, you can receive statement credits for the charges that appear on your Platinum Card® for up to $200 a year. Please allow 2-4 weeks after the transaction for statement credits to appear on your account.

Your enrollment will remain in effect for the Card and airline you selected for the 2010 and 2011 calendar years. You will have an opportunity to change your airline selection for the 2012 calendar year at the end of 2011. No action is needed if you wish to maintain your current selection for 2012.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 5:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ENFO
Does anyone know whether this will be reimbursed? The cost for Silver level is $200. I saw a post earlier in this thread about someone who was going to try it, but can't find whether it was successful.
Someone tried it, they didn't get reimbursed, called up, was able to get credit for it. I tried it, didn't get reimbursed, called up, and was denied credit for it.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by troyhouse
I just enrolled in 200$ Travel Credit and got following message. It seems that I am somehow enrolled for 2 years and cannot change my selection till 2012. I thought I could change it every year.

Is this something changed recently?
Thank you!

You have successfully enrolled your Card listed below.

When you incur incidental fees while traveling with the airline you selected, you can receive statement credits for the charges that appear on your Platinum Card® for up to $200 a year. Please allow 2-4 weeks after the transaction for statement credits to appear on your account.

Your enrollment will remain in effect for the Card and airline you selected for the 2010 and 2011 calendar years. You will have an opportunity to change your airline selection for the 2012 calendar year at the end of 2011. No action is needed if you wish to maintain your current selection for 2012.
Read carefully. You can change at the end of 2011 for 2012. We're in 2011 right now. Looks like they're sending out some old language, since it's hard to make any charges for 2010 now
Old Sep 13, 2011, 3:46 pm

AmEx Platinum $200 Airline Credit/Can I use my husband's card?

My husband just received his Platinum card and was somehow able to get the 50,000 points after three calls. I had not such luck and could only get 25,000 points so not worth $450. I'll be traveling w/o my husband and was wondering if I charge the checked baggage fee on-line prior to my flight with his card will he get reimbursed? I doesn't seem like they can cross reference charge card name to passenger when paid for on-line. I also discovered that extra cardholders do no qualify for the $200 airline fee credit.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 4:38 pm

I was reimbursed for upgrading my sister to first class, and on a separate occasion, paying for her checked bag fees. So you should be able to use your husband's AmEx Platinum
Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
I don't recall where I read this but I read that someone purchased an airline ticket under a certain price of say $85 and was reimbursed on their Plat card. Not sure how or what triggered it but I'm wondering if that is the case for anyone else?

Unfortunately I chose USless airways as my benny and I vouched to never fly them, which I haven't until now. But currently I'm stuck flying them for some unbeknown reason. If not, I don't really care about the credit but I will,however, buy everyone on board a drink that is 21+ because I have $175 left to use and I promise this is my last time flying USless Airways this year! Especially considering I have all of my flight plans set in stone for the remainder of the year.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:50 pm

Did you have to wait until you checked in on-line to pay for the baggage fee?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 1:15 pm

No, I paid for both online. Credit for the first class upgrade and the checked baggage fees posted almost automatically.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG PA, Hilton Sucks, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by drbobguy
One minor thing to note is that when you purchase the GC's after filling out the GC information it will ask you if you want to purchase another one. I'm pretty sure you DON'T want to do this, instead complete the check out process and then start over again. That way there won't be a single charge to the card for the full amount ($50x4=$200) instead of four separate charges.

I'm pretty sure that this is incorrect. I clicked on "Purchase more" after my first purchase, and it is showing up under Pending Charges as separate transactions.

The only issue here is whether you make your order(s) via typing in your credit card number once or multiple times.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 1:58 pm

Thanks, I tried searching the thread but my keyword kungfu was bad.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 3:10 pm

Smile

I bought two one-way DL tickets for $148.80 each. The day after they posted to my account I received a credit for $148.80 and a credit for $51.20.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:58 pm

Programs: SPG PLT
I was hoping with the current transfer promotion, the fees would be covered, but nothing yet.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Say Hey Kid
I bought two one-way DL tickets for $148.80 each. The day after they posted to my account I received a credit for $148.80 and a credit for $51.20.
Hmmm, dangit! I bit the bullet and bought the ticket on my AMEX PR for 3x MR. I should have done the test! I don't want to try now because I don't want to fly US again...
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:55 am

changing airlines

I called today and got my airline choice changed from Delta. I picked USAir because all my remaining flights this year are: USAir (no status), Delta (free bags due to status), Jetblue (1 free bag allowed). Jetblue was tempting because I could have gotten reimbursed $40 x 3 for extra legroom seats. But I have an upcoming USAirways flight for 4 family members, which should ($25 x 4 bags x 2 trips) nicely equal $200.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.