Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum $200 Airline Credit Strategy? [Read message #1 before posting]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CatJo
I, too, transferred miles from my wife's account to mine, used her Plat card to pay the total fee of exactly $200, and it appeared on the statement exactly as above. This was a week ago and there's no credit yet.

OTOH, I booked two award tickets and paid the tax/fees with my Plat card ($58 each), they showed up similarly and were credited within a couple of days. The only difference is that the "Document Type" shows "Additional Colleciton" for the reimbursed ones, while the one above shows "Frequent Flyer Fee/Purchase" - has anyone got the latter type credited?
Spoke with a CSR (had called on a different issue) and was told that the miles purchase/transfer is not eligible for reimbursement; bummer
Old Sep 7, 2011, 1:17 pm

Spoke with a CSR (had called on a different issue) and was told that the miles purchase/transfer is not eligible for reimbursement; bummer
Yeah, this really sucks, because I don't have plans to fly again for the rest of '11. But if I do find a better award ticket, I guess I can change the flight for "free".
Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: Free agent
I'm assuming the credit of $200 only applies per ACCOUNT and not per additional cardholder? The Global Traveler registration is per cardholder, so you can get as many $100 credits as you have cards.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by brj8826
I'm assuming the credit of $200 only applies per ACCOUNT and not per additional cardholder? The Global Traveler registration is per cardholder, so you can get as many $100 credits as you have cards.
I am pretty sure that I read it was per card holder.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: UA, US, DL, AMEX Plat, AMEX Centurion, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by keirnna
I am pretty sure that I read it was per card holder.
It's definitely per one $200 credit per ACCOUNT (checked with amex recently).
Old Sep 9, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, JetBlue Mosaic (sometimes)
What to do?

So I would love to convert my $200 into gift certs to give me more long-term spending flexibility. My first thought was to use AA, but after reading their T&C, seems like their use is very limited (which I really don't understand. If GC's are usually purchased with cash by the general public to buy a gift, why should they have any restrictions?) to effectively cash ticket purchases. I have a boatload of AA miles, so the best use would be paying ticketing fees and taxes, but if I read the T&C correctly, that is not allowed.

I have not used my credit yet, so I should still be able to change airlines. Does anyone know which of the airlines where the GC spend is confirmed or likely to work (i.e., the ones in post #382) AND where the GC can be used liberally.

My thought is since I don't have points on the discount carriers and am less likely to amass many, maybe I do Southwest's? I wish it worked for JetBlue since I really like them for short-haul.

Or has anyone tried buying AA 500 mile upgrades? I know it is explicitly not allowed in the T&C's, but has it worked for anyone? I expect to be lifetime gold anytime (and doubt I will ever be exec plat) and I believe they never expire, so not a bad currency to hold.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 10:04 am

FYI, I was on the phone with Amex about some other stuff and asked straight out if my miles purchase would be reimbursed. The woman read the list of included and excluded items and said that miles purchases are not on the "included" list, but they aren't on the "excluded" list either. (Points "transfer" fees are included, but not "purchase" fees.) She said some charges are reimbursed automatically based on how they're coded but others are reimbursed manually which takes a few weeks, and I should call back then. So we'll see...
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:09 pm

Buy up to Preferred on US Air

Does anyone know whether this will be reimbursed? The cost for Silver level is $200. I saw a post earlier in this thread about someone who was going to try it, but can't find whether it was successful.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by crimson12
FYI, I was on the phone with Amex about some other stuff and asked straight out if my miles purchase would be reimbursed. The woman read the list of included and excluded items and said that miles purchases are not on the "included" list, but they aren't on the "excluded" list either. (Points "transfer" fees are included, but not "purchase" fees.) She said some charges are reimbursed automatically based on how they're coded but others are reimbursed manually which takes a few weeks, and I should call back then. So we'll see...
Yeah, that will be unfortunate because I just registered for CO/UA and spent $150 on awards tickets, but have no way to spend the other $50 before the end of the year and would have been very happy to have 34,000 Delta miles. That is 9,000 more than I need for an award seat to Shanghai.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by crimson12
Did the CSR say which airlines these terms apply to? Info seems to disagree with CatJo's experience: Post 447.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 7:56 pm

I, too, transferred miles from my wife's account to mine, used her Plat card to pay the total fee of exactly $200, and it appeared on the statement exactly as above. This was a week ago and there's no credit yet.

OTOH, I booked two award tickets and paid the tax/fees with my Plat card ($58 each), they showed up similarly and were credited within a couple of days. The only difference is that the "Document Type" shows "Additional Colleciton" for the reimbursed ones, while the one above shows "Frequent Flyer Fee/Purchase" - has anyone got the latter type credited?
Did you call and ask for them to manually process the refund?
Old Sep 10, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by keirnna
Did you call and ask for them to manually process the refund?
I did ask about it (see post# 464) but was told that a miles purchase isn't covered. I didn't push the issue, but will likely ask about it the next time I have to call about something.

So far, it doesn't look like anyone is getting automatically reimbursed for these miles transfers/purchases (at least with Delta).
Old Sep 10, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ENFO
Does anyone know whether this will be reimbursed? The cost for Silver level is $200. I saw a post earlier in this thread about someone who was going to try it, but can't find whether it was successful.
I tried and was not reimbursed.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA PM
Originally Posted by simon11533
I did the same, bought 4 x $50 GC's foolishly in one batch. It's been 2 weeks over my last statement and no credit.
I too made the same mistake a while ago. Needless to say it never cleared.
I'm now waiting for a 1 x $50 to clear - though it's already been a couple of days.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:23 am

New member on FT and new AMEX Premier Gold Rewards & Platinum Card holder.

This forums rocks and I have couple of questions:

- Is the GC buying still working, what are some of the gotchas?
- It seems that I should not buy 50X4 cards at one shot, but space it out. Does this work?
- If AA.com does not work then what is the best bet to get GCs?

TIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.