Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Travel Benefits for [USA] Platinum Card and Centurion Card members [15-Sep-2010]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Travel Benefits for [USA] Platinum Card and Centurion Card members [15-Sep-2010]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by mia
The link to the site that is under construction has been removed to reduce confusion.
all i wanted to do is provide info to register.......
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:31 pm

I called to cancel/downgrade my AMEX to the gold or green card. They offered me my choice of the following:

--$400 Statement credit to partially offset my next annual fee billing ($450)
--50,000 points.

I opted for the statement credit - the customer service rep indicated that(and I asked several times) if I cancel my card when billed, I will still get the prorated refund for the annual fee.

They did try to give me a sales pitch of why the AMEX PLat is still a good product...I used what I read here to explain why it's NOT a good product, and that I'll be going to the CO president's club branded Visa as a replacement.
Originally Posted by mnmag
I was only commenting on the consensus -- here on this thread! Clearly, I have no clue as to what the thousands of other cardholders who have not weighed-in here -- are thinking!

I think it's ridiculous that AmEx spent a lot of time, effort & $ to apprise us of these upcoming 'benefits' in the splashing brochure, -- yet give little to no detail beyond what we've already received via e-mail notifications!

I find it odd that they won't divulge the list of 'eligible' carriers (perfect opportunity to do lots of 'marketing,' all around) & the fact that we must make a 'claim' for the charges, after they are made, -- ie. making us 'work' for the benefit -- with no assurance that it will qualify under the program.

I don't see myself charging an airline tkt to the Plat card (vs. Pref Gold) when it's not clear what charges will be reimbursed & we are at the mercy of the participating airlines to process those incidental charges to conform with AmEx's system!
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jammanxc
all i wanted to do is provide info to register.......
Understood and appreciated, but American Express isn't ready.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), DL GLD, AL GLD, SPG GLD, HY DMD, MRTT PLAT
Offered Me 25,000 Points or $200 credit

Is this a good deal or not.

Told them my 'brother' was offered 50,000 /$400 - stayed with his 25k MR/$200 and said that is what is screen shows.

I do use the Continental Club and that is not suppose to go away until 10/2011 and I use it for American Airlines Club.

What should I do? Do you think they will up the ante if I call again?

I also have MR points in the account - if I cancel - hoe soon do I have to get them out of there - 30 days.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by John Galt
I called to cancel/downgrade my AMEX to the gold or green card. They offered me my choice of the following:

--$400 Statement credit to partially offset my next annual fee billing ($450)
--50,000 points.

I opted for the statement credit - the customer service rep indicated that(and I asked several times) if I cancel my card when billed, I will still get the prorated refund for the annual fee.

They did try to give me a sales pitch of why the AMEX PLat is still a good product...I used what I read here to explain why it's NOT a good product, and that I'll be going to the CO president's club branded Visa as a replacement.
Very interesting that they are making offers to get you to stay!

Just a heads up -- the Chase CO Pres Plus is a MC, not a Visa -- unless there is another card out there that I am not aware of (that has a CO President's Club membership attached to it)!
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:00 pm

Just a heads up -- the Chase CO Pres Plus is a MC, not a Visa -- unless there is another card out there that I am not aware of (that has a CO President's Club membership attached to it)!
the rep said they were getting a lot of cancellations. I've had Plat for 10+ (?) years and the AMEX for 17...or I'd have canceled it outright. I'm sentimental...."member since 1993" makes me happy. I guess I average $50K/yr spend.

You're right about the MC...in my tiny brain, there's no diff between MC and Visa...unless there's something I missed? Similar interest rates, accepted many of the same places?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, DL Plat, UAL Silv, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam, Avis First

That wasn't my situation. I called to inquire about how much would be refunded in case I decided to cancel and within less than 10 seconds she had cancelled my card! I wasn't planning to cancel it right there, but she admitted that she jumped the gun and submitted a request to be reinstated. She said it'll take 24hours. I was surprised how fast she acted.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FindMeTravel
That wasn't my situation. I called to inquire about how much would be refunded in case I decided to cancel and within less than 10 seconds she had cancelled my card! I wasn't planning to cancel it right there, but she admitted that she jumped the gun and submitted a request to be reinstated. She said it'll take 24hours. I was surprised how fast she acted.
Yikes! Maybe you got a newbie CS agent!
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:57 pm

2 questions

so what if youre flying on an award ticket? wont work right even if you paid taxes and fees with amex?

also what about buying 500 mile upgrades with the $200? isnt that an incidental? it probably wouldnt post correctly. but if it covers change fees id think upgrades should count.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: Amex Plat, DL Plat, UAL Silv, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam, Avis First
Yikes! Maybe you got a newbie CS agent!
possibly. She called me an hour later and said that fixed it and reinstated my card.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FindMeTravel
possibly. She called me an hour later and said that fixed it and reinstated my card.
Whew! Glad to hear that you were 'made whole'!^
Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plat; HH Gold; AA Gold; CO Gold
Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
Having to charge the airfare to the card to use the $200 credit truly waters down the "benefit" of this.
+ 1

I charge all airfare on the Premier Rewards Gold card for the extra 2 Mr points. Switching this to the bus plat just does not make sense.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:16 am

Just received a courtesy call from Amex stating that the link I used to register for $200 travel benefit was still under construction and my enrollment was not completed. I will have to re-enroll on 12/1/2010.

That is a very nice touch by Amex to pull the database of the people who have tried to register and call them. IMHO, I think Amex realizes that loosing CO as partner will be a huge loss to them.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Exclamation $200 new benefit airline airline list

I am a long time lurker, but this is my first post.

I also tried that link in the previous post to register for the airline of my choice, but got the same result. Amex however called me today to tell me that the link I used is under construction and that I needed to do it after Dec 1st. While I had her on the phone I asked for an airline list included in the new benefit and she rattled off a bunch of airlines...

UA, CO, DL, JB, US Air, Hawaiian, AA, Airtran, SWA, Frontier, and Alaska. Those are just the ones I wrote down. There were a few more even.

Yes, I asked her about several not being partners with MRs and she said thats the nice thing about the new benefit is that they were able to partner with other airlines for this benefit. She even put me on hold to get the list of these to double check some of them to be sure.

Unless this lady was crazy it maybe a better perk than anticipated.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by millere2
... rattled off a bunch of airlines...
Welcome to Flyertalk and the American Express Membership Rewards section.

I also received the call today. The beep of the recording device put me off asking any questions or admitting that I am a Flyertalk moderator . Do you recall if the list included any airlines based outside the USA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.