Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Travel Benefits for [USA] Platinum Card and Centurion Card members [15-Sep-2010]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Travel Benefits for [USA] Platinum Card and Centurion Card members [15-Sep-2010]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:40 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I for one have way over $200 in change fees per year. If the benefit can be used to offset change fees my annual fee for Business Plat will go from $375 to $175. That is pretty good.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:41 pm

Programs: AmexPlat,SPG,CitiAA,One pass,
If you add a card holder costs 150 for plat would they also get their own 200 for the year also which would be worth it for that extra card holder...
Old Sep 16, 2010, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so 1 airline? continental?

love that US Airways lounge access is now regardless of airline youre flying.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
so 1 airline? continental?
Yes, one airline. I would seem that we get to pick which one. Whether we are limited to a particular set of airlines or we can choose any airline remains to be seen.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 6:31 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Yes, one airline. I would seem that we get to pick which one. Whether we are limited to a particular set of airlines or we can choose any airline remains to be seen.
I'm not sure that the announcement suggests it'd only be on one airline -- it says "a selected airline".

Amex could have a list of selected airlines (either selected by them or by us), such that we'd only get the credit if we were "traveling on a selected airline". I think it's too vague to tell how this benefit applies yet.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Vacation time
If you add a card holder costs 150 for plat would they also get their own 200 for the year also which would be worth it for that extra card holder...
Sure about that? Three additional cards on a Personal account are $175 total. I doubt they will be giving $200 each ($600) back in credit for a $175 outlay.

One has to assume this will only be valid on the primary card, at least until it is clarified.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by troyb
Sure about that? Three additional cards on a Personal account are $175 total. I doubt they will be giving $200 each ($600) back in credit for a $175 outlay.

One has to assume this will only be valid on the primary card, at least until it is clarified.
Agree, very doubtful it would also be for additional cardholders.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Vacation time
It would be awesome if they give the $200 credit for secondary cards!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
It would be awesome if they give the $200 credit for secondary cards!
Yes, and you could choose different airlines if that was the case.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.
I hope the $200 credit will apply to in-flight drinks too so I can buy a round for the cabin. Any indication if it will?
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by super-mileage-fan
I hope the $200 credit will apply to in-flight drinks too so I can buy a round for the cabin. Any indication if it will?
It said "in-flight food purchases", so I assume that includes drinks.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 6:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by super-mileage-fan
Originally Posted by aviators99
Agreed. I'd love to offer up $200 worth of free drinks on one flight just for fun one day.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 8:02 am

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by sbm12
Agreed. I'd love to offer up $200 worth of free drinks on one flight just for fun one day.
At 5-7 a drink, you need to get a few cardholders together to comp everyone. Otherwise you'd have sky-rage with the non-libated...
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by aviators99
That'd be nice, but I'm going to guess (without much basis at this moment) that there will be an asterisk later in the T & C that will explicitly exclude alcohol, duty free items (such as cigarettes), etc. Some law in some state will be used as the basis for limiting this new benefit. Perhaps the more legal-savvy can comment on past precedent.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
T & Cs for new benefits

Here's the link for the new benefits from the AmEx site!

It appears that in order to take advantage of the $200/yr credit for the 'incidental airline fees' -- the original airfare must be charged to that card, as well!

Since I have a CO PP MC, I naturally charge my CO flts to that card, with CO being my primary carrier. So, I guess I would have to plan ahead to take advantage of this benefit! Also, since only one airline can be designated as the 'qualifying airline' for this purpose (& can only be changed once a year!) -- I guess I'll wait to enroll for this program!

Also, it's not clear whether one can take advantage of the 'pay with points' feature in conjunction with the 'incidental airline fee' credit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.