Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Travel Benefits for [USA] Platinum Card and Centurion Card members [15-Sep-2010]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Travel Benefits for [USA] Platinum Card and Centurion Card members [15-Sep-2010]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
$200 Airline Benefit for AMEX Plat not mentioned on website?

I have been wavering for a couple of years on getting the AMEX Platinum card. I get multiple offers a year and I can never decide if it would be worth it vs. my Gold Rewards card. I decided to go look at the latest benefits for the Platinum card on the web site, and the $200 Airline credit was not mentioned anywhere.

Here are the "Travel" benefits touted now:

- Global Entry Fee reimbursement
- $450 annual Hotel benefit if booked through Plat Travel Services
- Expert Travel Assistance
- Companion Ticket (for qualified business class ticket)
- $400 Cruise credit if booked through Plat Travel Services
- Platinum Destinations
- Limo Program
- Platinum Villas?
- ANNUAL TRAVEL BENEFIT- Once a year, you can receive a statement credit of $100 when you book a qualifying cruise or vacation of $3,000 or more through American Express Travel Services
- Private Jet Program

Has the Airline Credit been dropped?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
I see the same thing if I don't sign in, but if I do I see that benefit still listed as being part of my card. I certainly hope this isn't changing or that existing Platinums are grandfathered in. If we're not, that would certainly make my decision as to whether to renew my card MUCH easier.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
Interesting. For what it's worth, the benefit is still listed here: http://transformtravel.americanexpress.com/
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA 1K, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum Elite, Jetblue Mosaic
I can still see the link:

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...d:AirlineFeeCr
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:58 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
  • Go to: http://americanexpress.com/platinum
  • Wait patiently for Flash to load
  • Do not login
  • Click [See All Benefits]
  • Look (left) at Travel Benefits
  • $200 Airline Fee Credit is third on the list
Old Jul 29, 2011, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by mia
  • Go to: http://americanexpress.com/platinum
  • Wait patiently for Flash to load
  • Do not login
  • Click [See All Benefits]
  • Look (left) at Travel Benefits
  • $200 Airline Fee Credit is third on the list
Thanks. I see it listed as well at that site. Just don't understand why it's not listed on the other view-

http://www304.americanexpress.com/ge...um-Card#tabTop
Old Jul 29, 2011, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Thanks. I see it listed as well at that site. Just don't understand why it's not listed on the other view-

http://www304.americanexpress.com/ge...um-Card#tabTop
Not understanding why its not listed at this particular link doesn't mean it might not be apart of PLAT benefits anymore. Your thread title is deceptive, and should be changed.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:45 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
Question was answered and resolved. Time to close this post.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Ritz
Not understanding why its not listed at this particular link doesn't mean it might not be apart of PLAT benefits anymore. Your thread title is deceptive, and should be changed.
I asked the question because a benefits list on the only website I was directed to for the AMEX Platinum card didn't mention it. Since I don't have the card, I don't see the post-login benefits. I really don't think the (original) thread title was "deceptive", it was truly a question based off of what info I had at hand, and thanks to FT folks, I now have my answer.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:26 pm

Can anyone help me understand (preferably based on own experience/reliable sources) what does word "year" mean in "Every year we'll cover up to $200 of incidental airline fees" benefit description. Calendar year or 12 month since the card was approved?

If it means "calendar year" am I right that I actually have $400 to spend during the first 12 months of membership if I apply today (or pretty much anytime except for the last week of December) - $200 during the remaining of 2011 and $200 for a portion of 2012?

Sorry if has been discussed - I cannot easily locate the answer.

Thank in advance!
Old Aug 31, 2011, 3:34 pm

yes, calendar year so if you have your card, you will be reimbursed $200 for 2011 and $200 for 2012
Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by metoo
yes, calendar year so if you have your card, you will be reimbursed $200 for 2011 and $200 for 2012
That is how it worked last year but I think the consensus is to wait and see, there's no guarantees you'll be able to "double dip" as a first time card holder this year.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 5:44 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, RR Premier, DL SkyMiles, SPG Gold
Just activated new plat amex card yesterday. Rep told me that I can use $200 for a designated airline (I selected Delta) for remainder of 2011. Runs on calendar year thereafter, so begins again on 1-1-12. Can also designate new airline for next year, but must be done prior to 12-31-11. If not changed before 12-31-11, defaults to Delta for 2012.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:14 am

sisu- that is exactly what MR told me except I didn't give him an airline yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.