Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Travel Benefits for [USA] Platinum Card and Centurion Card members [15-Sep-2010]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Travel Benefits for [USA] Platinum Card and Centurion Card members [15-Sep-2010]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:16 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by ElvinW
Quick question: If I select an airline and spend the $200 allowance this December, am I able to change the preferred airline to another one for next year's allowance. Did anyone try?
No. From the Amex website:

"Card members who have already selected a qualifying airline will not be able to change their choice until December of each calendar year at which time they may change their airline choice for the following calendar year."
Old Dec 4, 2010, 2:17 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by reigndrop
...buying food at a DL Sky Club...
Should qualify, provided charge is processed by Delta rather than their caterer. Click here to review discussion in posts 169 - 170:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post15360566
Old Dec 4, 2010, 4:54 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by MikeBOS
I got one too. Look inside the bag -- there's a bunch more stuff including a camcorder, Bose earphones and an iPod Nano. No idea why I got this but I'm not complaining...
I never get anything except the bill
Old Dec 4, 2010, 11:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, ICG Platinum Royal Ambassador, Avis President's Club
Any understanding on using the credit to buy upgrades on Virgin America?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
How can I use up my $200 in the next 20 days? on Delta

I don't check bags, and even if I did, I get 2 bags checked free anyway

I flew this weekend, got upgraded so nothing to buy alcohol-wise. The plat card gets me in the lounge, no go there... though I did order a sandwich in the lounge which I really didn't want (hope that goes towards the credit) I tried to buy some snacks on my way home today from coach and they told me I would have to pay cash!

Could I buy miles? Looks like I could get 6000 for just under $200

or, is there any way to buy Delta Gift cards or something along those lines? I don't see anything on Delta's site. Any other ideas? I sure don't want to waste this free $200.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:14 pm
mia

Originally Posted by NC_Girl
Could I buy miles? Looks like I could get 6000 for just under $200...
Asked and answered in post 188:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15374698-post188.html

Buying an airline gift certificate directly from the airline is a low risk approach because you aren't out any money if it turns out to be billed by another company or if American Express sees it as a ticket. However, it appears that Delta does not sell -or- redeem these online. You'll need to go to an airport or ticket office to buy the certificate and again to redeem it:

http://www.delta.com/help/contact_us...ates/index.jsp
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:22 pm
mia

.... plat card gets me in the lounge, no go there...
Would it ever be useful to have Skyclub access when flying another airline? Do you have any relatives, friends or co-workers who would appreciate Skyclub daypasses as a holiday gift?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
How can I use up my $200 in the next 20 days? on Delta

I don't check bags, and even if I did, I get 2 bags checked free anyway

I flew this weekend, got upgraded so nothing to buy alcohol-wise. The plat card gets me in the lounge, no go there... though I did order a sandwich in the lounge which I really didn't want (hope that goes towards the credit) I tried to buy some snacks on my way home today from coach and they told me I would have to pay cash!

Could I buy miles? Looks like I could get 6000 for just under $200

or, is there any way to buy Delta Gift cards or something along those lines? I don't see anything on Delta's site. Any other ideas? I sure don't want to waste this free $200.
Hopefully a FTer will post if the gift certificate or miles purchase is successful with this rebate program.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 2:05 pm
mia

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
Hopefully a FTer will post if the gift certificate or miles purchase is successful with this rebate program.
To accelerate the process for information useful in December I suggest asking in the Skymiles section of Flyertalk if anyone who has recently purchased miles or a gift certificate (ideally using an American Express card) can look at the credit card transaction and report if it is billed by Delta Airlines and if it is reported in the format of an air ticket. This is the information you need to make an informed decision.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:29 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I am flying this week to Puerto Rico.

I plan to buy 100 worth of food for random strangers in the Coach cabin and 100 wroth of food on the flight back and have the FA's pass it out.

Do you think AMEX would object? I will be in First so theres no need for me to buy food or anything.

Last edited by HWGeeks; Dec 5, 2010 at 11:36 pm
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:51 am

Upgrades

Does anyone know if AA check in kiosk First Class upgrades will be covered as incidental air charges?

Also- If I were to cancel or change a ticket thats worth say $200 (with a $150 change fee) to a ticket that is $100... ($200-150=$50) ($50-100= $50 due) does Amex cover the change fee (150) or just the increased charge on my card $50...
Old Dec 6, 2010, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I plan to buy 100 worth of food for random strangers in the Coach cabin and 100 wroth of food on the flight back and have the FA's pass it out.
Why not buy a meal for our traveling soldiers? If you have people in uniform on your flight, that's an easy call.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Can I select my airline later during the year? I don't really fly any of the participating airlines (my travel is all international and I prefer the non-US airlines), but maybe I will sometime during the year. Can I just do the sign up process anytime once I know which of these airlines I might fly?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:17 am
mia

Originally Posted by stimpy
Can I select my airline later during the year?
Yes: Card members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. However, if you want to change your selection for 2012 that would have to be done in December 2011: Card members who have already selected a qualifying airline will not be able to change their choice until December of each calendar year at which time they may change their airline choice for the following calendar year. Card members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
I'm really having a tough time choosing which airline. Delta we already have Gold status on so it doesn't make too much sense. United/Continental is the biggest, but we have Star Alliance gold for another 9 months yet. Alaska is my regional airline. I'm tied between United/CO and Alaska. Anyone make their selection yet? If so, what was your strategy for choosing the carrier you did?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.