Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Travel Benefits for [USA] Platinum Card and Centurion Card members [15-Sep-2010]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Travel Benefits for [USA] Platinum Card and Centurion Card members [15-Sep-2010]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:31 am

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Originally Posted by Do you recall if the list included [I
any [/I]airlines based outside the USA?
I dont recall any based outside the US. I fly domestically only though so I could have missed one while I was writing them down real fast. Sorry
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:47 am

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/498; U; en-US) Presto/2.4.18 Version/10.00)

i actually just got a call from amex saying they saw i tried to register for the new benefit but the site is still under construction, and they will send a reminder when dec 1st comes around. nice touch but now i feel bad to have commanded actual manpower on their part,which could have been spent on coming up more meaningful benefits and promotions...
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk and the American Express Membership Rewards section.

I also received the call today. The beep of the recording device put me off asking any questions or admitting that I am a Flyertalk moderator . Do you recall if the list included any airlines based outside the USA?
Agree, the beeping was anoying. The same csr that called me at work, left a message at my home # with her phone # and extension. I might be able to call her back tomorrow am and check on participating airlines.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:57 am

Courtesy call received

A rep called to tell me to re-sign up after Dec 1. While he was on the phone, I threw a bunch of questions at him. In summary, he said:

- We will get $200 for Dec 2010.
- $200 benefit will re-set for Jan-Dec 2011.
- Ticket purchased prior to Dec 1, 2010, will still qualify as long as the covered charges after made after Dec 1, 2010. Example, Baggage fees for Christmas trip with air ticket bought today would be covered.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by romeoguy
A rep called to tell me to re-sign up after Dec 1. While he was on the phone, I threw a bunch of questions at him. In summary, he said:

- Ticket purchased prior to Dec 1, 2010, will still qualify as long as the covered charges after made after Dec 1, 2010. Example, Baggage fees for Christmas trip with air ticket bought today would be covered.
Very helpful info.!^
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:46 am

My question is, do we have to purchase airfare using Amex in order to get this benefit?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
My question is, do we have to purchase airfare using Amex in order to get this benefit?
Yes, it does have to be charged to the AmEx Plat in order for the incidental fees, associated with that itinerary, to be covered under this benefit!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I wonder if the "benefit" will also be available when flying on award tickets? (assuming the award is on the airline you choose)

Given the upcoming loss of CO/UA next year from the airline club benefit, I'm keenly interested in how the Platinum card will continue to deliver value to me after the split. I'm flying 75% on CO/UA and 25% on Delta, and about half of my travel is for work and NOT charged to my personal Platinum card.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:48 am

I would get that reset for Jan 2011 in writing, or not trust it. This was a CSR, after all, and it doesn't sound likely.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:07 pm

It would be nice to have confirmation of the benefit resetting on Jan 1, 2010. I have seen several people say this, but it seems unlikely to me.

Also, does anyone know if airlines charge duty free items differently than inflight food/beverages? This is what would be at stake in getting the credit, I presume. I seem to recall all inflight purchases posting as "United Inflight ..blah.." which makes me think that perhaps I could make this beneficial by buying something duty free.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by edweird
I wonder if the "benefit" will also be available when flying on award tickets? (assuming the award is on the airline you choose)
That's a good question. I recently redeemed an award ticket for next month, but paid the $10 fee on my amex. It'll be my only flight before the end of the year, so I'd love to have to spend $200 on drinks!
Old Nov 28, 2010, 8:08 am

$200 airlinefee credit still applies even if tickets NOT purchased with Amex Platinum

I just spoke to a CSR at AMEX Platinum and asked her about whether I could get the $200 incidental fees credit for a flight that I purchased on another credit card (I just received my platinum card, actually, and had already purchased tickets a while back on another card) -- and she told me YES. I asked her 3 times just to confirm and she told me yes.
So we'll see what happens Dec 1 when I go to enroll -- but just wanedt to let you guys know what I heard.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by girlsmom4
I just spoke to a CSR at AMEX Platinum and asked her about whether I could get the $200 incidental fees credit for a flight that I purchased on another credit card (I just received my platinum card, actually, and had already purchased tickets a while back on another card) -- and she told me YES. I asked her 3 times just to confirm and she told me yes.
So we'll see what happens Dec 1 when I go to enroll -- but just wanedt to let you guys know what I heard.
I've learned to only go by what is confirmed in writing, -- there are far too many 'well-meaning' CSRs out there, but sometimes their 'intentions' are different from the reality!
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:06 am

That's what I'm afraid of!
Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: AmexPlat,SPG,CitiAA,One pass,
Travel app

This new travel app hopefully is better function than that slow flash stuff on their site. I am hoping they make travel app for iPad. Flash is really slow on their site....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.