Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Travel Benefits for [USA] Platinum Card and Centurion Card members [15-Sep-2010]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Travel Benefits for [USA] Platinum Card and Centurion Card members [15-Sep-2010]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by girlsmom4
I just spoke to a CSR at AMEX Platinum and asked her about whether I could get the $200 incidental fees credit for a flight that I purchased on another credit card (I just received my platinum card, actually, and had already purchased tickets a while back on another card) -- and she told me YES. I asked her 3 times just to confirm and she told me yes.
So we'll see what happens Dec 1 when I go to enroll -- but just wanedt to let you guys know what I heard.
According to the AMEX page (click on footnote #1)

Statement Credits: Airfare and incidental air travel fees must be charged on the enrolled Card account for the benefit to apply.

There are many conditions of use. Highlights:

-Card member must enroll and choose a qualifying airline at americanexpress.com/PlatinumAirlineChoice.

-Only the Basic Card member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card account can enroll and select the qualifying airline.

-Card members who have already selected a qualifying airline will not be able to change their choice until December of each calendar year, at which time they may change their airline choice for the following calendar year.

-Incidental air travel charges must be separate charges from airline ticket charges.

-Incidental air travel fees that do not qualify for statement credits are wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners (incidental transactions must be charged by the airline of choice).

-The airline must submit the airfare and incidental air travel charge(s) under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be eligible.

-Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card members on the enrolled Card account are eligible for statement credits.

If I have to charge the flight to my Plat card to take advantage, it pretty much looks like something I'll only take advantage of after I've squeezed all the bonus MQMs out of my DL AMEX each year
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by girlsmom4
... had already purchased tickets a while back on another card...
I can see this if you mean another charge card issued by American Express (Green or Gold) which you have now upgraded to Platinum, but not if you made the purchase with a different type of card or a card from another issuer.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:21 am
mia

Originally Posted by Seabilly
If I have to charge the flight to my Plat card to take advantage,...
This has been clearly stated from the very first announcement of the new benefits. It remains to be seen if American Express implements a system which reliably matches incidental purchases with the corresponding ticket purchases. In principle it should be easy, because the system only needs to look for tickets purchased from one airline per customer and the transaction record shows the dates of the first and last flights. In practice it will be more complicated if a flight is delayed, cancelled or rebooked etc.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:35 pm

USA Centurion & Platinum $200 travel credit signup page now active

www.americanexpress.com/PlatinumAirlineChoice is now active.

I tried logging in but it wouldn't let me type in all my password so I called and activated over the phone.

If you sign up, you must pick your airline though, and you are stuck with them until Dec 2011 so ...

The rules have changed and they've removed the comment that air travel and incidentals must me on the same card (see below).

They also told me that it was good at any airport resturant (though I may hold off on that) and that it was good through the end of the year and would start over. Didn't see either of those in writing, but with only one trip planned in December (starting Friday) I may have to see how much I can use up

Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the enrolled Card account for the benefit to apply. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees that do not qualify for statement credits are wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners (incidental transactions must be charged by the Card member’s airline choice).
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA(2MM)-Plt, HH-Gld, HY-Glb, ICAmb-Plt, SPG-Plt (Life), AMEX-Plt
Thank you OP!

I'll call in and ask if necessary, but is this on a calendar year basis? In other words...

1. If we charge $200 in December of 2010, do we also get $200 for all of 2011?
2. If I choose an airline for December 2010, can I change before the start of the new year for 2011?

Thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by tmartazu
Thank you OP!

I'll call in and ask if necessary, but is this on a calendar year basis? In other words...

1. If we charge $200 in December of 2010, do we also get $200 for all of 2011?
2. If I choose an airline for December 2010, can I change before the start of the new year for 2011?

Thanks!
She told me I'll get another $200 for 2011. That makes sense, but I don't really see that spelled out anywhere. I think I'll just really enjoy my next trip even if I don't get it all spent and see what happens January 1st

You'll probably need to ask about when you'll be able to change. I thought they said it wasn't eligible for a change until Dec 11 (but I pretty much only fly Delta so didn't pay too much attention there).
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA(2MM)-Plt, HH-Gld, HY-Glb, ICAmb-Plt, SPG-Plt (Life), AMEX-Plt
Just enrolled online. Confirmation page states the following:
=============================================
Thank you!

You have successfully enrolled your Card listed below.

When you incur incidental fees while traveling with the airline your selected, you can receive statement credits for the charges that appear on your Platinum Card® for up to $200 a year. Please allow 2-4 weeks after the transaction for statement credits to appear on your account.

Your enrollment will remain in effect for the Card and airline you selected for the 2010 and 2011 calendar years. You will have an opportunity to change your airline selection for the 2012 calendar year at the end of 2011. No action is needed if you wish to maintain your current selection for 2012.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:15 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
thanks for the reminder OP - i was able to sign up my wife's card on the website without any issues.

now, should i be excited about the new platinum travel app that i can't seem to find anywhere? =]
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:05 am

Programs: aa gold, amex plat, spg gold, hertz gold (former wn cp, aa plat)
Well, the site is now live...

Airlines are:

Airtran
Alaska
American
Delta
Frontier
Hawaiian
Jetblue
Spirit
Southwest
United/Continental
USAirways
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:17 am

Programs: aa gold, amex plat, spg gold, hertz gold (former wn cp, aa plat)
Also, to answer two other questions, under the first video on the updated site it says the $200 benefit is good in December and resets in January 2011 (for another $200 for 2011).

Also, the "travel app" is a free tripit pro membership.

Happy flying/charging.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:55 am

Programs: AA,Platinum AmEx, SPG Gold,WN CP
There is no mention in the new terms that the flight must be charged to the card. Therefore, I would assume the $200 could be used on award flights.^
Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:38 am
mia

Originally Posted by ryannel
... the first video on the updated site it says ...
There are no videos on the enrollment page, and the videos on this page are devoid of substance. Where did you find one with specifics about earning $200 in December 2010 and another $200 in 2011?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 7:29 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
So I was wondering whether charges for premium seats (e.g. jetBlue EML) will be covered ...If so, I am likelier to register an airline I fly occasionally like Jet Blue than my main carriers with whom I have status (and therefore most fees are waived)

Just called and spoke to a representative who indicated that fees such as the EML charge would be covered. I also inquired about copays for upgrades and/or upgrade sticker purchases and she indicated that any upgrade fees are not covered.

I then asked whether this was a calendar year or December to December benefit and she stated that for this year only, the full benefit IS available for the month of December 2010 and another $200 will become available in January for 2011. She also mentioned that they have gone through 2 months of training regarding this benefit!

Last edited by pbjag; Dec 1, 2010 at 8:37 am
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:15 am

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ryannel

Also, the "travel app" is a free tripit pro membership.
OK, I am all signed up but.... Where do I find this travel app you speak of?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 8:25 am

Anyone consider sending a "secure message" via americanexpress.com to get the $200 reset jan 1 2011 in writing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.