Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
USA personal Platinum Card benefits site

USA Business Platinum Card benefits site

Activate card

USA cardholders work through this list to activate benefits:
  1. Enroll in Priority Pass Select .
  2. Enroll in Airline Fee Credit benefit and choose carrier. You must enroll and choose a carrier prior to making a reimbursable purchase. Read: AA AS B6 DL F9 HA UA WN
  3. Apply for Global Entry ($100 reimbursement) or TSA PreCheck ($85 reimbursement). Global Entry includes TSA PreCheck, but the application process is more involved.
  4. Enroll for Avis, Hertz and National Car Rental Privileges.
  5. Use National status to obtain Hertz Five Star status HERE.
  6. Enroll in Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status.
  7. Enroll in Hilton Gold Status
  8. Subscribe to Departures Extra email newsletter.
  9. Subscribe to Entertainment newsletter.
  10. Call 888-462-4725 to enroll in Neiman Marcus InCircle program.
  11. Activate free Shoprunner membership
  12. Order free supplementary Gold or Green cards for those whose airline or hotel accounts you plan to link to Membership Rewards. The additional card must be open for 90 days before linking is permitted.
  13. Business Platinum cardholders only: enroll in GoGo Preferred Program (in-flight internet access).

Wait till Janaury 1st and purchase another $200 Airline ecerts (USA only)
Print Wikipost

New Platinum Card: To-Do List

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 8:05 am

If you cruise, on certain lines, there are nice cruise benefits. That is why we signed up for the Platinium card in the first place. For example, on Regent, you receive a $300 onboard (ob) suite credit charge on AMX. In fact, if you have a Platinum AMX, you can actually charge on any AMX and still receive the credit.

Signed up the year we had two Regent cruises, and the credits more than covered the annual fee. If you charge a Silversea cruise on AMX and have an AMX Platinum card, you receive the $300 ob credit and a bottle of Dom Perignon--at least you used to.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan, British Airways, Alaska
I was just approved for my American Express Platinum (Canadian Card) and should receive it next week.

Is there a to-do list for us Canucks anywhere as I know it has different benefits?

TIA
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: MPC -> QFF
Originally Posted by Sean22mac
I was just approved for my American Express Platinum (Canadian Card) and should receive it next week.

Is there a to-do list for us Canucks anywhere as I know it has different benefits?

TIA
Please let us know if you receive the Cathay Pacific / Marco Polo Gold membership form! many inquiring minds would like to know...

thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 5:06 pm

This thread seems to be crying out for a wiki.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dynastar
This thread seems to be crying out for a wiki.
Agreed, why not start one? Click: Thread Tools > Create a Wikipost.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 8:51 pm

damnit! what's so hard about giving American plat holders cathay pacific gold status! benefits keep shrinking and disappearing, how about adding a steller one like gold status for once. c'mon I need my extra bag allowance.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:00 pm
mia

Originally Posted by turnpike13
damnit! what's so hard about giving American plat holders cathay pacific gold status!
The sheer number of cardholders combined with easy access to AA lounges.
Old May 28, 2014, 2:42 pm

Are ALL benefits also given to AU's? In the T&C, only the Global Entry portion mentions AU's having the same benefit. I'm referring to Priority Pass, SPG Gold, Boingo.

Also, since having an AU means we get an additional Global Entry fee covered, does that mean we have to charge 1 fee on the primary card and another on the AU's card since amex gives different card numbers for AU's?

What about the $200 airline fee credit? Does that also have to be charged on the primary card?

Last edited by pkoo; May 28, 2014 at 3:38 pm
Old May 28, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by pkoo
Are ALL benefits also given to AU's? In the T&C, only the Global Entry portion mentions AU's having the same benefit. I'm referring to Priority Pass, SPG Gold, Boingo.

Also, since having an AU means we get an additional Global Entry fee covered, does that mean we have to charge 1 fee on the primary card and another on the AU's card since amex gives different card numbers for AU's?

What about the $200 airline fee credit? Does that also have to be charged on the primary card?
Yes.

Not sure (I charged my GE on mine, and my husband charged his on his, and both were credited appropriately. Not sure if YMMV on this.)

No.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:09 pm

Amex Platinum

This might be the dumbest question ever but do we have a thread dedicated to the (noteworthy) benefits of Amex Platinum cards.

So I'm completely new to the MR game (not MS). Basically I've always been a Chase guy. Anyway, I just got my first MR earning card, a $50,000 Amex Business Platinum card. I got this card but have no clue what are the benefits other than the $200 reimbursement credit.

Can someone direct me to a thread highlighting the benefits of Platinum cards in a "flyertalk" way. I have a WN companion pass so I don't travel much through other airlines & don't have to pay a lot as I've saved up quite a bit WN points. Do I still need this card? The only thing that I can be interested is a first/business class trip to South East Asia. I wonder if MR points can help me achieve that goal in the shortest possible time.

In a nutshell, can someone enlighten me with the perks and benefits, due to which, platinum cards are so popular? TIA
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:47 pm

In addition to the $200 airline credit you mentioned, I can think of:

-delta skyclub access and priority pass membership
-centurion lounge
-Amex FHR
-purchase protection includes loss (and is pretty generous beyond that)
-global entry reimbursement and gogo membership
-concierge
-free companion intnl business/first ticket, though this is usually worthless since it only applies to higher/full fares.

For your trip to Asia, priority club and Amex FHR might come in handy. Maybe the purchase/baggage protections if things go awry.

Glad to hear you've joined Amex!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by SansSerif
In addition to the $200 airline credit you mentioned, I can think of:

-delta skyclub access and priority pass membership
-centurion lounge
-Amex FHR
-purchase protection includes loss (and is pretty generous beyond that)
-global entry reimbursement and gogo membership
-concierge
-free companion intnl business/first ticket, though this is usually worthless since it only applies to higher/full fares.

For your trip to Asia, priority club and Amex FHR might come in handy. Maybe the purchase/baggage protections if things go awry.

Glad to hear you've joined Amex!
Please note that delta skyclub access is only if you fly delta. With priority pass, there is no such requirement. For example, I was flying southwest from LGA and was able to use the Air Canada maple leaf lounge without any problems.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:15 am
mia

Moderator action

Originally Posted by cowboyguy
... do we have a thread dedicated to the (noteworthy) benefits of Amex Platinum cards....
Question has been appended to one such thread.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:56 pm
mia

Moderator reminder

ANYONE who has been a member of Flyertalk for 90 days, and has contributed 90 posts, is able to create or edit a Wikipost. This thread is an excellent candidate for a Wiki. Don't wait for someone else to do it.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:38 pm

Would be happy to give this a shot once my account is mature enough with enough posts

Recently picked up a platinum card myself and slowly went through the perks list to make sure I checked every box :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.