Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
USA personal Platinum Card benefits site

USA Business Platinum Card benefits site

Activate card

USA cardholders work through this list to activate benefits:
  1. Enroll in Priority Pass Select .
  2. Enroll in Airline Fee Credit benefit and choose carrier. You must enroll and choose a carrier prior to making a reimbursable purchase. Read: AA AS B6 DL F9 HA UA WN
  3. Apply for Global Entry ($100 reimbursement) or TSA PreCheck ($85 reimbursement). Global Entry includes TSA PreCheck, but the application process is more involved.
  4. Enroll for Avis, Hertz and National Car Rental Privileges.
  5. Use National status to obtain Hertz Five Star status HERE.
  6. Enroll in Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status.
  7. Enroll in Hilton Gold Status
  8. Subscribe to Departures Extra email newsletter.
  9. Subscribe to Entertainment newsletter.
  10. Call 888-462-4725 to enroll in Neiman Marcus InCircle program.
  11. Activate free Shoprunner membership
  12. Order free supplementary Gold or Green cards for those whose airline or hotel accounts you plan to link to Membership Rewards. The additional card must be open for 90 days before linking is permitted.
  13. Business Platinum cardholders only: enroll in GoGo Preferred Program (in-flight internet access).

Wait till Janaury 1st and purchase another $200 Airline ecerts (USA only)
Print Wikipost

New Platinum Card: To-Do List

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2011, 9:40 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by lawgirl28
Another new Plat AmEx members -- thanks to the recent amazing 50K MR deal - and I am LOVING the lounge access and will likely keep it next year - so the promo worked from AmEx's POV as well

Question: outside of the basic MR points accrual, any reason to use Platinum for much charging - i.e., is there any type of "bonus" for hitting certain charging targets? I'm working on hitting a charging target for a bonus on my DL AmEx, so I've been using it more than the Plat (once I had hit the required $1K) - just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing on knowing about some "spend $X,000 in 12 months and get such-and-such bonus points" deal on the Plat...
No, the PR Gold has a bonus if $30k spend is hit in 12 months, but the Plat does not. It does earn more points at Bonus Points Mall, but besides that there aren't, to my knowledge, any other spending benefits to it. For the record, I did have a Plat...
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: UA Plat
Priority Pass Select

As of April 4, another task is to sign up for Priority Pass Select.

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...umprioritypass
Old Apr 4, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: Emirates, Amex Plat, UA/DL, Hilton/SPG
Thanks for the link! I just signed up, 10 to 14 days to get my PP membership select card, I am loving this new benefit, it really comes in handy while traveling...
Old May 17, 2011, 1:26 pm

So, this is just for the regular Amex Plat, not Amex Delta Skymiles Plat card? Couldn't find this info anywhere for my Amex Delta Plat... maybe I'm not looking in the right place?
Old May 17, 2011, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by ucfpinay
So, this is just for the regular Amex Plat, not Amex Delta Skymiles Plat card? Couldn't find this info anywhere for my Amex Delta Plat... maybe I'm not looking in the right place?
It's only for the Amex Platinum charge card (or Centurion).
Old May 19, 2011, 10:56 pm

deceptive advertising

Originally Posted by ucfpinay
I got suckered by this when I was convinced to upgrade my Amex Delta Skymiles card to "Platinum". Unfortunately I was not told that most of the benefits of a Platinum card do not pertain to this "Platinum" version. This terminology is ridiculous and I think intentionally deceptive. I will probably cancel my card
Old May 20, 2011, 7:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mojitoflyer
...I think intentionally deceptive...
Welcome to Flyertalk. It's unfortunate that MasterCard and VISA copied American Express' use of the terms Gold and Platinum for premium cards, and it's confusing that American Express then decided to use those same color designations on the affinity cards that it issues for airlines and hotel chains. However, I don't think there's any evidence that any card issuer intended to deceive customers about specific benefits or rewards. It's confusing if you don't do your homework, but it's not deceptive.

The card you have is clearly explained here:

http://www201.americanexpress.com/ge...Delta-Skymiles

The card discussed in this thread is explained here:

http://www201.americanexpress.com/ge.../Platinum-Card
Old May 20, 2011, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by MSPpete
I find the extended rental car insurance a nice benefit. Is primary insurance for a flat fee of about $25 for the entire rental period, up to a month. Don't have to file a claim with my regular car ins company if something happens to rental car.
This is not a benefit exclusive to the Plat card. Premium Car Rental (Primary) Insurance is a benefit offered to most American Express Charge and Credit Cards. It is an optional benefit, which is paid each time of use, rather than a "complimentary" benefit like others which are detailed in this thread.
Old May 20, 2011, 1:35 pm

Location: MHT, DL DM & now KM!/ formerNW Plat /HH Diamond/SPG plat
Originally Posted by Ritz
This is not a benefit exclusive to the Plat card. Premium Car Rental (Primary) Insurance is a benefit offered to most American Express Charge and Credit Cards. It is an optional benefit, which is paid each time of use, rather than a "complimentary" benefit like others which are detailed in this thread.
I keep a Diners Club card for this very purpose.....they offer primary coverage on rental cars automatically - no additional charge. I find this more cost effective than paying $25 each time I rent with my AmEx Platinum.
Old May 20, 2011, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by kathnunley
I keep a Diners Club card for this very purpose.....they offer primary coverage on rental cars automatically - no additional charge. I find this more cost effective than paying $25 each time I rent with my AmEx Platinum.
Yup, no doubt about it - the Diners coverage is completely complimentary. Problem is, they're not issuing any new Diner's Club cards.
Old May 21, 2011, 5:41 am

Location: MHT, DL DM & now KM!/ formerNW Plat /HH Diamond/SPG plat
Originally Posted by Ritz
Yup, no doubt about it - the Diners coverage is completely complimentary. Problem is, they're not issuing any new Diner's Club cards.
WOW, Really??....I guess I'm totally out of the loop and need to start reading the Credit Card threads along with the airline/hotel threads. Thanks for the heads-up. I checked the Diners thread and found out why I'd better hold onto my Diners!
(sorry, didn't mean to hijack this AmEx thread)
Old May 22, 2011, 7:53 am

Programs: LH, US Silv, CO Plat
Thanks for the list

Thanks for the list and discussion. I've finally signed up for the various benefits. Much thanks!
Old May 24, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: Delta FO, SPG Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Amex Plat
Another to-do for those that have an iOS or Blackberry device and use TripIt. Download the Travel by American Express app. Platinum and Centurion members that run this app will be given complimentary TripIt Pro membership, which normally costs $49/year. Other Amex cards can get a discount for membership.

Not a huge benefit, but worth using if you want to keep track of all your itineraries.

Details on the offer are here: http://help.tripit.com/entries/42804...it-pro-program
Old May 24, 2011, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by illuminati
Another to-do for those that have an iOS or Blackberry device and use TripIt. Download the Travel by American Express app. Platinum and Centurion members that run this app will be given complimentary TripIt Pro membership, which normally costs $49/year. Other Amex cards can get a discount for membership.

Not a huge benefit, but worth using if you want to keep track of all your itineraries.

Details on the offer are here: http://help.tripit.com/entries/42804...it-pro-program
Indeed. And as posted elsewhere, if you're using an Android but have access to an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, etc.) you can gain Pro membership then use the Android app.
Old May 31, 2011, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by lawgirl28
Question: outside of the basic MR points accrual, any reason to use Platinum for much charging - i.e., is there any type of "bonus" for hitting certain charging targets? I'm working on hitting a charging target for a bonus on my DL AmEx, so I've been using it more than the Plat (once I had hit the required $1K) - just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing on knowing about some "spend $X,000 in 12 months and get such-and-such bonus points" deal on the Plat...
Spend 250K/year and you've hit the threshold for Amex Centurion. Some consider that a "charging target".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.