Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
USA personal Platinum Card benefits site

USA Business Platinum Card benefits site

Activate card

USA cardholders work through this list to activate benefits:
  1. Enroll in Priority Pass Select .
  2. Enroll in Airline Fee Credit benefit and choose carrier. You must enroll and choose a carrier prior to making a reimbursable purchase. Read: AA AS B6 DL F9 HA UA WN
  3. Apply for Global Entry ($100 reimbursement) or TSA PreCheck ($85 reimbursement). Global Entry includes TSA PreCheck, but the application process is more involved.
  4. Enroll for Avis, Hertz and National Car Rental Privileges.
  5. Use National status to obtain Hertz Five Star status HERE.
  6. Enroll in Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status.
  7. Enroll in Hilton Gold Status
  8. Subscribe to Departures Extra email newsletter.
  9. Subscribe to Entertainment newsletter.
  10. Call 888-462-4725 to enroll in Neiman Marcus InCircle program.
  11. Activate free Shoprunner membership
  12. Order free supplementary Gold or Green cards for those whose airline or hotel accounts you plan to link to Membership Rewards. The additional card must be open for 90 days before linking is permitted.
  13. Business Platinum cardholders only: enroll in GoGo Preferred Program (in-flight internet access).

Wait till Janaury 1st and purchase another $200 Airline ecerts (USA only)
Print Wikipost

New Platinum Card: To-Do List

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:17 pm

Just activate the platinum card. Fun stuff

Just activated my platinum card and cancelled my gold. The CSA were good but not everyone was on the same page. In the end, everything is good.

Question. I am presently a Hertz Gold member as well as a SPG Gold Preferred member. Can I link my present memberships with the offer from AMEX or do I need to cancel my present memberships and start over?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Amex Plat; AA-United-KLM
I really dont think they're "linked" in anyway other than telling Hertz and SPG that you're a Plat card holder and to maintain your gold status. Whatever account number you have now does not need to change.

Over the past few years on an annual basis I would receive the reduced level [whatever is down from gold] membership card from SPG in the mail and would have to call SPG to say I have a Plat Card and then a week or two later my "gold level" membership card would arrive. [I dont stay at SPG properties much]

For Hertz I really dont remember if I'm gold because of work, because I rent many cars, or if it's because of the Plat card, but I still really dont think it's linked to my credit card.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 2:23 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Visa Signature
Originally Posted by Come Fry With Me
1. Sign up for Hertz, Avis, and National premium accounts
Is there any benefit to having premium accounts with them if you're renting a car overseas? I'm considering a UK vacation.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by vetforus
Us Airways was recently added as a club you can go to with an American Express Platinum Card. you don't even have to be flying on US Air to use this benefit.
I can confirm that Plat Card gets you into US Airways lounge, even without US Airways ticket. Did this at BUF.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: Delta PM 1MM™, Alaska MVPG75K, Marriott LTTE, United SE, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by economyplusfan
I can confirm that Plat Card gets you into US Airways lounge, even without US Airways ticket. Did this at BUF.
Wow, I just had to verify this... a club in BUF?

US Airways has a few random cities on their too-short list of club locations...
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:32 pm

The club is really small - more like a closet with a bar in it. But nice - has outside windows. What's strange is that with the Platinum Card you aren't supposed to need a ticket to get in. The lady at the desk nevertheless asked me what airline I was flying (United) but did not ask to see a boarding pass.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 5:06 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... nevertheless asked me what airline I was flying (United) but did not ask to see a boarding pass.
I use the US lounge in Tampa. I have three types of entry credentials: Amex Platinum, Priority Pass, CO membership, and the attendant always asks which airline I am flying without regard to the card I present.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:29 am

Just got the platinum card. The CS rep was very helpful after the Amex website screwed up my app then blocked me from using the promo code I had. In any case, she noted to "make sure you sign up for the 40 benefits of the card that require registration" and said that specific instructions would be set with the plastic.

But I want to get ahead of the game and was hoping to start on the 1-12 list. Can someone tell me how I do those 12 things? I'm already a Hertz gold member - do I just email or call Hertz and tell them I am a platinum card holder now? I did find instruction on the Amex site but it tells how to create a new Hertz account for example.

Where do I find the concierge profile to fill out?

What about the PTS travel preference profile (assuming there is such an animal)

Apologies if I am being impatient. But I'd like to get started on these things. My online account already reflects the plat cardholder status but has no placeto start any of these benefits except the airline fee credit.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:43 pm

Gold at SPG

For gold status at SPG I was told to send a copy of my AMEX Plat statement showing that I am Plat (can block out all other sensitive information) to [email protected]. Gold status should show up in 5 days.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:47 pm
mia

...told to send a copy of my AMEX Plat statement...
Correct, new procedure evidently implemented because people who don't have a Platinum Card were phoning in with the benefit code .
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Correct, new procedure evidently implemented because people who don't have a Platinum Card were phoning in with the benefit code .
Jeez, now who would do that?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by mia
When did they institute this rule?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 7:38 am
mia

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
When...
On or before 4 Feb 2011:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...l#post15803669
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by JMapleton
Is there any benefit to having premium accounts with them if you're renting a car overseas? I'm considering a UK vacation.
I don't know if there are any official advantages. But I have been "recognized" as a gold member in both Europe and Australia. I like Hertz gold simply for not having to go inside. I often decline the upgrades that they sometimes try to give for free. (If I reserve a midsize, that's what I want - an SUV or fullsize is a downgrade to me.)

All in all I've found that the rental is a whole lot less seemless overseas but the agents would note that I was a gold member so I suppose they have it in a computer somewhere. But if it got me anything beyond an meanigless acknowledgement I was not aware of it.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold
Another new Plat AmEx members -- thanks to the recent amazing 50K MR deal - and I am LOVING the lounge access and will likely keep it next year - so the promo worked from AmEx's POV as well

Question: outside of the basic MR points accrual, any reason to use Platinum for much charging - i.e., is there any type of "bonus" for hitting certain charging targets? I'm working on hitting a charging target for a bonus on my DL AmEx, so I've been using it more than the Plat (once I had hit the required $1K) - just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing on knowing about some "spend $X,000 in 12 months and get such-and-such bonus points" deal on the Plat...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.