Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
USA personal Platinum Card benefits site

USA Business Platinum Card benefits site

Activate card

USA cardholders work through this list to activate benefits:
  1. Enroll in Priority Pass Select .
  2. Enroll in Airline Fee Credit benefit and choose carrier. You must enroll and choose a carrier prior to making a reimbursable purchase. Read: AA AS B6 DL F9 HA UA WN
  3. Apply for Global Entry ($100 reimbursement) or TSA PreCheck ($85 reimbursement). Global Entry includes TSA PreCheck, but the application process is more involved.
  4. Enroll for Avis, Hertz and National Car Rental Privileges.
  5. Use National status to obtain Hertz Five Star status HERE.
  6. Enroll in Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status.
  7. Enroll in Hilton Gold Status
  8. Subscribe to Departures Extra email newsletter.
  9. Subscribe to Entertainment newsletter.
  10. Call 888-462-4725 to enroll in Neiman Marcus InCircle program.
  11. Activate free Shoprunner membership
  12. Order free supplementary Gold or Green cards for those whose airline or hotel accounts you plan to link to Membership Rewards. The additional card must be open for 90 days before linking is permitted.
  13. Business Platinum cardholders only: enroll in GoGo Preferred Program (in-flight internet access).

Wait till Janaury 1st and purchase another $200 Airline ecerts (USA only)
Print Wikipost

New Platinum Card: To-Do List

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Got my platinum card today, and did the following:

Online:
Enrolled in Priority Pass
Enrolled in National Emerald Club
Enrolled in Avis
Downloaded Travel App (iTunes)
Submitted application for Global Entry (gov website)

Note: Didn't need Hertz Gold since I already have that through work.

Phone:
Upgraded to SPG Gold (had to hand me off to SPG CSR)
Picked my airline for $200 credit
Enrolled in Incircle Program
Old Aug 14, 2011, 3:34 pm

What is Incircle program?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by metoo
http://www.incircle.com/store/catalo...incfooterguide
Old Aug 14, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
It's not really that useful to me, but it's free to sign up, so I went ahead and did it anyway.

It looks like I'd have to spend around $2.5k at Neiman Marcus or Bergdorf to accrue any real benefits. At $5k spend the $100 gift card is nice.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 4:01 pm

Not too good of a program. Thanks for the info.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 4:03 pm

Not too good of a program. Thanks for the info.
But it is free and if you do shop there and use your Amex it will provide at least some extras
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:45 pm

Do you have to be flyign with CO, DL etc in order to use their lounge with the plat card? Could i be flying with another airline and still use the lounge if I have the plat card?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by hqly2001
Do you have to be flyign with CO, DL etc in order to use their lounge with the plat card?
Yes. Discussion in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...amex-plat.html
Old Aug 18, 2011, 4:36 pm

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
Originally Posted by drwilliams
I would recommend not setting up things to be auto-charged to your card.

AMEX will side with the merchant over you in a dispute. You cannot remove the auto-charge unless the company taking the money agrees.
This has not been my expereince at all. In fact, it has been exactly the opposite. I have one in with a big chain now and I'll report back but to date I have not had a single dispute permantly reversed. I had one denied, which I put back into dispute with additional information that stuck.
Old May 9, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum
Upgraded to Amex Platinum - Now What?

Hello travelers,

I'm a long time traveler and first time poster here.

After many upgrade offers from Amex (Gold to Platinum) I finally decided to take the 25k MR points within your first purchase offer.

I received my card today and I, like everyone else, want to make the most out of the $450.00 fee. With that said what should be my next steps?

How do I go about signing up for the car rental programs and other amenities that this card has to offer.

I also looked at FHR - was it me or did some of the prices seem a bit inflated?

Please let me know your thoughts and any inputs are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old May 9, 2012, 8:56 pm

The big benefits of the Platinum card for me were:

1. $200 rebate for airline expenses. I picked United and bought a club membership.

2. Priority Pass membership. Used it 4 times in Turkey last month.

3. Complementary USAir, AA lounge access when flying those airlines.

4. Refund of Global Entry/Nexus fee.

5. No foreign transaction fees.

The easiest way to get signed up and squared away is to call the platinum card number (800.525.3355) and have a representative talk you through signing up for all the complementary programs and/or signing you up.

I find it's hit or miss as to whether the Hertz Gold and other memberships are worth it. I have noticed that when I sign in as a gold member I sometimes get a higher rate than if I sign in as a "normal" person. YMMV.

The hotel "gold" status isn't so useful to me as I typically don't stay in hotels when I travel. I suppose it could be in an emergency.

I've never even bothered looking at the FHR.

For me the benefits of the platinum card all come from its travel perks. When I'm not traveling I use my Business Gold card. Better MR deals (3x for airfare, 2x for dining/gas).

feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by mia; May 10, 2012 at 6:50 am
Old May 9, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum
thank you for this. i will give them a call tomorrow.

as for hertz, i know exactly what you mean . i worked for them during my college days. rates are always fluctuating with them with no apparent reason.
Old May 9, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
I picked up the same offer

Global Entry? It also covers Pre-Check for domestic travel on AA, DL, and Alaska A. Short answer: airport security line dissolving tool.
$100 then presto, remibursed by Plat

$200 fee reimbursements. Choose an airline once for the current calendar year and incidentals will be reimbursed. For example I changed seats online and Plat picked up the fee a few days later. (I chose AA).

I specify calendar year as you can use up the $200 in Dec 2012 then $200 again in Jan 2013 after choosing a different airline if you want.
Some people abuse the intent of this by purchasing gift certs which then get reimbursed due to how they got coded.

I forget the link but when you login you can get into the Plat benefits area and click on the rental car links that reads you as being a Plat member. It'll take you direct to the rental car site.

Call into concierge to then sign up for SPG. They'll call them with you on the line to confirm your Plat status on your behalf then they'll transfer you over. SPG gives you your SPG number and then you activate it on spg.com

I forget how Priority Pass sign up went, you can again ask Plat CS.

There are some more that I have forgotten about right now lol
Old May 9, 2012, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rbphilip
3. Complementary USAir, AA lounge access when flying those airlines.
Not quit correct on #3:

Free DL and AA lounge access when flying those airlines (IIRC same day, formerly within 24 hours) and free US lounge access when flying any airline. Includes immediate family (spouse, parents, kids) or two guests.

Last edited by mia; May 10, 2012 at 6:52 am Reason: Insert quotation for context
Old May 10, 2012, 6:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Dennisaurous's question and replies have been merged into the established thread on this topic. Reviewing the older posts should prove helpful to all new Platinum cardholders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.