Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How / when to select seat on a Cathay (CX) award / flight (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
To get your CX Record Locator, call AA.

FAQ Page from Cathay website: http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...-requests.html

Info from the site (as of 15 June):

Who is eligible to request a seat?
The following customers can request a seat in advance

- Members of The Marco Polo Club (Silver tier or above) and oneworld Ruby tier members or above
- All First and Business Class passengers
- Customers holding tickets on eligible fare types – Y, B, H, K, L, M, V, W, R, E, T

Customers requiring special services cannot request a seat online. Please raise your request at the time of booking.
How do I request my seat?
You can request your seat at Manage Booking.

Simply log in and select “Service Requests” > “Seat”. You can select your preferred seat on the interactive seat map. Your request will be processed and confirmed immediately.
When can I request my seat?
You can request your seat via Manage Booking anytime up to 55 hours prior to flight departure. If you want to request your seat afterwards, you can only do so via Online Check-In.
Print Wikipost

How / when to select seat on a Cathay (CX) award / flight (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:48 pm

Confirmed Award Seat - but can't change seat?

I have a flight coming up to HKG using AA Miles on CX. Currently, we are booked in F in seats 1D & 2D. I called AA to try and change to 1A/2A or 1K/2K, but she said those seats are reserved for Elite Status passengers. I asked if/when those seats would open for others and she said never - I questioned and asked what if it ended up empty and she maintained I could still not get those seats. There are only 6 seats in F on that CX 777 and I would prefer a window seat. Any tips/ideas on this? I'm assuming if the seat was indeed empty the day I flew the FA would let us move, but I would rather find a way to lock in and not take the chance.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
You can try calling CX, since they have much better control over their seating than AA, but I know other airlines which restrict front of first class to high tier elites as well. I can't imagine you'll have a problem getting the seats if they're still empty when you board the plane and no one is waiting to upgrade to F.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Above advice is good but I believe that CX routinely blocks some of those seats on the 777 and they open up closer to departure.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Call AA and ask for the CX PNR (it will be different than the AA one). Then go to cathaypacific.com and pull up your reservation that way. You can then use their seat maps to try and change your seat. CX is very good at reading your OW status and giving you access to those seats if you qualify.

As EXP, I've sat in 1A several times....by selecting it directly within the CX website.

Heads up....for first name try just your first name. If it doesn't like it try first name middle initial and then first name middle name. No spaces. CX is a little odd sometimes that way. So if your name is John Adam Jones, try JOHN, then JOHNA then JOHNADAM until they let you in.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:47 am

You should be able to get 1A and 1K on the CX website. 2A and 2K, however, will be either explicitly blocked because they are the bassinet seats, or CX will let you take them online but it likely won't stick. Closer in to departure you will have a better shot at them if they're not taken.

Regardless, the play here is through CX - web or phone - not AA.

Good news is that on CX F there is really no bad seat in the house in my opinion. Every seat is very private and you can dine as a couple anywhere.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:42 pm

I was told by the AA agent that only 2D is available for a flight in Feb 2015. Are the other seats already taken, or just not available for award booking selection? Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP / Marriott AMB & LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mrwangkai
I was told by the AA agent that only 2D is available for a flight in Feb 2015. Are the other seats already taken, or just not available for award booking selection? Thanks!
Withou any addional info, origin/destination, flight number and departure date the only advice I can give is this.

Depending on your OW status, there may be other options for you. Follow what AAExpDFW had posted earlier in this thread:

Call AA and ask for the CX PNR (it will be different than the AA one). Then go to cathaypacific.com and pull up your reservation that way. You can then use their seat maps to try and change your seat. CX is very good at reading your OW status and giving you access to those seats if you qualify.

As EXP, I've sat in 1A several times....by selecting it directly within the CX website.

Heads up....for first name try just your first name. If it doesn't like it try first name middle initial and then first name middle name. No spaces. CX is a little odd sometimes that way. So if your name is John Adam Jones, try JOHN, then JOHNA then JOHNADAM until they let you in.

Last edited by FrontOfTheCurtain; Dec 28, 2014 at 10:00 pm
Old Dec 28, 2014, 11:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Originally Posted by mrwangkai

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW

As AAExpDFW and others have mentioned, call AA to obtain the Cathay Pacific PNR/Record Locator. Unfortunately, when entering that into the Cathay Pacific web site's Manage Booking section, all seats in First Class may appear to be taken, disabled with only 2D available.

When that happens, call Cathay Pacific's customer service, provide them your CX PNR with your other associated flight information. The Cathay Pacific customer service representative was able to reserve 1K (LAX->HKG) and 1A (HKG->LAX) in the First Class cabin for my AA award ticket (on Cathay Pacific). I did not have elite status with Aadvantage or Asia Miles/Marco Polo when my seats were assigned nor do I have elite status now.

It is possible that 2D is the only seat available, but make sure that a Cathay Pacific representative confirms that is the case, not an AA representative.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by FrontOfTheCurtain
Withou any addional info, origin/destination, flight number and departure date the only advice I can give is this.

Depending on your OW status, there may be other options for you. Follow what AAExpDFW had posted earlier in this thread:

Originally Posted by conde
As AAExpDFW and others have mentioned, call AA to obtain the Cathay Pacific PNR/Record Locator. Unfortunately, when entering that into the Cathay Pacific web site's Manage Booking section, all seats in First Class may appear to be taken, disabled with only 2D available.

When that happens, call Cathay Pacific's customer service, provide them your CX PNR with your other associated flight information. The Cathay Pacific customer service representative was able to reserve 1K (LAX->HKG) and 1A (HKG->LAX) in the First Class cabin for my AA award ticket (on Cathay Pacific). I did not have elite status with Aadvantage or Asia Miles/Marco Polo when my seats were assigned nor do I have elite status now.

It is possible that 2D is the only seat available, but make sure that a Cathay Pacific representative confirms that is the case, not an AA representative.
Thanks for getting back. I don't have status with AA, but has Sapphire w/ OW through US Airways Gold. The route I'm on is CX873 from SFO-HKG. The ticket is still 'On Request', when I called in, I was assured that the ticket is booked but is in queue to be processed. This probably meant that it may not available on CX's site just yet.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:24 pm

When selecting seats on the CX site - I haven't been able to pick anything other than 2D on my AAdvantage award bookings.

The QR manage booking function seems to let non-status passengers select all of Row 1 as well - so I use that method now to avoid having to call in.

I've been selecting 1A as of late, as I've been booted out of 2A a few times by the computer even if I get an agent to select it for me.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
CX website does not let me choose any F seats, only J.. weird.
Old May 10, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
How can you select seats now?
I currently bought a economy ticket from American Airlines operated by Cathay but when i called with Cahty's Record Locator they said they cannot assign me a seat till 72 hours prior to check in. They wanted to sell me a extra leg room seat for $139. Same with a Award booking From AA but operated by CX. How can I get CX to assign me a seat earlier?

My ticket is a Fare Type V... so I dont understand how i cant get a seat assignment.

On Cathay's website it says
* The following passengers can request a seat in advance
- Members of The Marco Polo Club and oneworld alliance holding elite status
- All First and Business Class passengers
- Passengers holding tickets on eligible fare types – W, R, E, Y, B, H, K, L, M, V, T

Last edited by RedElmo; May 10, 2015 at 12:18 pm
Old May 10, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: IHG (Spire), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Lifetime Gold); Hyatt (Globalist)
I booked a first class flight for November of this year using Alaska miles on Cathay Pacific from the US to Hong Kong, continuing on in business to JNB a week later. I tried to select a seat online for the first class cabin and it only allowed me to choose the rear middle seat (out of 6 total seats).

I emailed [email protected] and listed my preference in order out of all the seats and asked if they could kindly assign me the best available based on my preferences. Though they would not/could not give me 2A, they were able to assign me 1A and I am thrilled.
Old May 10, 2015, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RedElmo
How can you select seats now?
I currently bought a economy ticket from American Airlines operated by Cathay but when i called with Cahty's Record Locator they said they cannot assign me a seat till 72 hours prior to check in. They wanted to sell me a extra leg room seat for $139. Same with a Award booking From AA but operated by CX. How can I get CX to assign me a seat earlier?

My ticket is a Fare Type V... so I dont understand how i cant get a seat assignment.
Ignoring where you purchased the ticket from, for the paid journey are you booked on an AA codeshare flight number or a Cathay Pacific flight number ? This could potentially make a difference

For the award booking, this will be in X class which is not on the list of eligible fare types
Old May 10, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Ignoring where you purchased the ticket from, for the paid journey are you booked on an AA codeshare flight number or a Cathay Pacific flight number ? This could potentially make a difference

For the award booking, this will be in X class which is not on the list of eligible fare types
It is a AA 8938 but operated by Cathay Pacific flight CX885

Ya I figured the Award booking is not eligible but the type V should be...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.