Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How / when to select seat on a Cathay (CX) award / flight (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
To get your CX Record Locator, call AA.

FAQ Page from Cathay website: http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...-requests.html

Info from the site (as of 15 June):

Who is eligible to request a seat?
The following customers can request a seat in advance

- Members of The Marco Polo Club (Silver tier or above) and oneworld Ruby tier members or above
- All First and Business Class passengers
- Customers holding tickets on eligible fare types – Y, B, H, K, L, M, V, W, R, E, T

Customers requiring special services cannot request a seat online. Please raise your request at the time of booking.
How do I request my seat?
You can request your seat at Manage Booking.

Simply log in and select “Service Requests” > “Seat”. You can select your preferred seat on the interactive seat map. Your request will be processed and confirmed immediately.
When can I request my seat?
You can request your seat via Manage Booking anytime up to 55 hours prior to flight departure. If you want to request your seat afterwards, you can only do so via Online Check-In.
Print Wikipost

How / when to select seat on a Cathay (CX) award / flight (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 2:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
You can reserve your seats online vice calling if you have the PNR. Just use the "Manage My Booking" tab on CX's website.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UncleRico
You can reserve your seats online vice calling if you have the PNR. Just use the "Manage My Booking" tab on CX's website.
Assuming you've registered for an AsiaMiles account, don't log into it before trying to select seats. Select "non-member" after going to "Manage My Booking."
Old Aug 25, 2010, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by UncleRico
Just today, I got the 5 digit booking code from the EXP desk, went on-line and "adjusted" my F award seats for November.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
I got the 5 digit CX code from AAEXP desk but I still could not select seats but I finally figured it out. With SecureFlight, my reservation has both my first and middle name. So in the Given Name field, be sure to include both your first and middle name or whatever is shown on your AA reservation.

I did that and I was finally able to log in and select seats.
Old May 13, 2011, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
When can I select CX award seats?

I have managed to get 2 F seats on CX for SEA-SFO-HKG in early October. When can I select seats for these? I'm going with my GF so would definitely want to get either row 1 or 2 as early as possible. Thanks in advance!
Old May 13, 2011, 9:40 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JY1024
You can request seats at the 180 day mark. To cut out the middle man, I'd suggest just getting the CX record locator from AA and calling CX directly. That way you don't have to call AA, who then "requests" the seat from CX.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:01 am

Seat selection on AA coded CX flights?

I am a platinum flying on AA coded CX flights JFK-BKK. Is there a way I can choose/change my seats online?

I did try to search, but came up with nothing that seemed like it was a match for what I am doing.

Thanks
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:18 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Easiest way is to do it online through the Cathay Pacific website as mentioned earlier in this thread. Please note that when you call AA to get the CX PNR, some agents have trouble finding it. I've only been told vaguely that it does not appear where they would normally expect it to (i.e. with codeshares operated by say JL), but apparently if they dig deeper into the reservation they will be able to find it.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by dw
Please note that when you call AA to get the CX PNR, some agents have trouble finding it.
But note that you may already have that information if you have received an email from AA relating to your reservation, other than the E-Ticket confirmation email.
These emails are usually generated to notify you of a schedule change (AA Schedule Change in the Subject field), or if you simply request the itinerary to be emailed to you (AA eTDS Itinerary Document in the Subject field).

For some bizarre reason these emails include four items of information for each flight in the itinerary, that do not come in the E-Ticket Confirmation emails:
1) the type of aircraft
2) the flying time
3) the terminal that the flight operates to/from
4) the booking reference on partner carriers, if it is not the same as the AA Record Locator

This information is useful so this is the document that I print and carry with me. However, note that it does NOT include the ticket number so you need to either make a note of it on this document, or carry the E-Ticket Confirmation email also.

Happy Travels.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 2:30 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by NDFan
But note that you may already have that information if you have received an email from AA relating to your reservation, other than the E-Ticket confirmation email.
These emails are usually generated to notify you of a schedule change (AA Schedule Change in the Subject field), or if you simply request the itinerary to be emailed to you (AA eTDS Itinerary Document in the Subject field).

For some bizarre reason these emails include four items of information for each flight in the itinerary, that do not come in the E-Ticket Confirmation emails:
1) the type of aircraft
2) the flying time
3) the terminal that the flight operates to/from
4) the booking reference on partner carriers, if it is not the same as the AA Record Locator

This information is useful so this is the document that I print and carry with me. However, note that it does NOT include the ticket number so you need to either make a note of it on this document, or carry the E-Ticket Confirmation email also.

Happy Travels.
Wow, have never noticed this before. Thanks for the tip!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT., Marriott LT GLD
I would not even bother with AA or the CX website and just call CX directly. In my case, we wanted 1A and 2A in the 777. 2A showed as unavailable on the CX website, and AA said it was blocked.

CX was able to unblock it and gave us what we wanted in a 2 minute call. But it did take about 20 tries as I kept getting a busy signal on the CX 800 number.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 6:57 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
I can confirm that I just called CX to get a seat assignment for a September flight (AA award booking) and they told me that I had to wait until 180 days (even in First).
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Noticed something interesting...

Booked an F award flight on CX for November.
The PNR includes a leg on QF. I used the QF website to select the seats for the QF leg, but was also given the option to select a seat "preference" (aisle or window) for the CX segment.

After selecting for a window for both pax, the PNR now showed seat assignment 1A and 1K. This assignment now shows up on the QF website, on AA, and on CX.

Would prefer to have 1A and 2A or 1K and 2K, but this could be a way to reserve ahead of the 180 window if you are traveling alone and want to secure an aisle/window.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 11:16 pm

I have a AA codeshare flight (CX metal) on hold. Do I get access to exit row seating since I am AA gold?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:46 pm

Ticketed, but unassigned seat, on Cathay F

I just booked 3 tickets from LAX - HKG on Cathay F.
(2 tix on separate days) via AA miles.

The two tix that were ticketed shows Seat assignment, but the last tix shows unassigned for seat assignment. Is this normal?

The flights are about 5-6 months out.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.