Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How / when to select seat on a Cathay (CX) award / flight (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
To get your CX Record Locator, call AA.

FAQ Page from Cathay website: http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...-requests.html

Info from the site (as of 15 June):

Who is eligible to request a seat?
The following customers can request a seat in advance

- Members of The Marco Polo Club (Silver tier or above) and oneworld Ruby tier members or above
- All First and Business Class passengers
- Customers holding tickets on eligible fare types – Y, B, H, K, L, M, V, W, R, E, T

Customers requiring special services cannot request a seat online. Please raise your request at the time of booking.
How do I request my seat?
You can request your seat at Manage Booking.

Simply log in and select “Service Requests” > “Seat”. You can select your preferred seat on the interactive seat map. Your request will be processed and confirmed immediately.
When can I request my seat?
You can request your seat via Manage Booking anytime up to 55 hours prior to flight departure. If you want to request your seat afterwards, you can only do so via Online Check-In.
Print Wikipost

How / when to select seat on a Cathay (CX) award / flight (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum 7+ million miles
Call AA and get the CX PNR. Then go to CX's website, log in to MMB and make your seat selections. Sounds easy but it's not depending on when you try to choose seats. Sometimes the website allows it, sometimes not. IF you are OWR or OWE, you can choose seats, if not, you'll need to call CX to get seat assignments. And I don't think you'll get them to make them more than 30 days out.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I called the CX HK line twice this week and got 2A assigned no questions asked for flights 8 days out. Once was for myself (EXP) and the other for my fiancé (PLT). Not sure if it was due to status or the flight being rather soon, but it was nice to not have any push back.
I have no status but was just offered and confirmed 2A for JFK-HKG in June via the CX call center in the USA, replacing the AA-assigned 2D. The CX agent said all of row 1 was occupied.

Seth
Old May 3, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by pyffii
Have searched everywhere but cant seem to find the answer....We are flying on a DONE5 issued by AA and flying JFK-HKG with Cathay but with an American code share flight number and cant preselect seats online with either American or Cathay...Had no issues last year with seat selection online but strange that last week I had to call AA for seat selection...Am I missing something ?
Not for a AA reward operated by CX but should still apply - I'm not sure if CX stopped allowing MMB for AA tickets. I used to be able to use MMB on my AA codeshare tickets using the CX PNR from AA, as recent as April 2016. The only thing different is this time I booked the AA codeshare flights through Citi Thankyou. CX wasn't selling the seats I wanted, but AA was.

The CX app recognizes my PNR, with no further functionality; the website throws an error when pulling up with PNR ("Sorry, a reservation could not be found with the information you have provided. Please check your booking reference number again or enter your eTicket Number.") or ticket number (Error: "No RLOC Associated with this ET"). At least I can use checkmytrip to check seat maps and then call CX for seats, which takes ~30 minutes regardless of if I call CX US or HK. The last seating update I had, I asked the CX US twitter to help me and they initially didn't want to help and deferred to AA until I pushed back with what's in the wiki. I'm booked in PEY and Y and a Ruby FWIW.

CX HK twitter's official response was that only 160 or 043 etickets can use MMB (which contradicts with the 125 tickets booked using BAEC Avios yesterday).
kaffir76 likes this.
Old May 3, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by renegurl
Not for a AA reward operated by CX but should still apply - I'm not sure if CX stopped allowing MMB for AA tickets. I used to be able to use MMB on my AA codeshare tickets using the CX PNR from AA, as recent as April 2016. The only thing different is this time I booked the AA codeshare flights through Citi Thankyou. CX wasn't selling the seats I wanted, but AA was.

The CX app recognizes my PNR, with no further functionality; the website throws an error when pulling up with PNR ("Sorry, a reservation could not be found with the information you have provided. Please check your booking reference number again or enter your eTicket Number.") or ticket number (Error: "No RLOC Associated with this ET"). At least I can use checkmytrip to check seat maps and then call CX for seats, which takes ~30 minutes regardless of if I call CX US or HK. The last seating update I had, I asked the CX US twitter to help me and they initially didn't want to help and deferred to AA until I pushed back with what's in the wiki. I'm booked in PEY and Y and a Ruby FWIW.

CX HK twitter's official response was that only 160 or 043 etickets can use MMB (which contradicts with the 125 tickets booked using BAEC Avios yesterday).
CX twitter team is generally clueless. CX is excellent on the plane and in their lounges - not a moment before. I'm able to use MMB for a ticket issued by AA yesterday. If I wer you, I'd call AA and make sure the PNR and ticket number are linked correctly, as it sounds like CX isn't seeing your ticket.

You could also try calling CX in the UK - I've found they have reasonable hold times.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by jay_dubya
CX twitter team is generally clueless. CX is excellent on the plane and in their lounges - not a moment before. I'm able to use MMB for a ticket issued by AA yesterday. If I wer you, I'd call AA and make sure the PNR and ticket number are linked correctly, as it sounds like CX isn't seeing your ticket.

You could also try calling CX in the UK - I've found they have reasonable hold times.
Thanks - AA was no help. At least I got the seats I want, after monitoring for a few days. Given all the others have no problem looking up their PNR, I will chalk this up as an anomaly.
Old May 30, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
For what it's worth I recently booked a flight from HKG-LAX in first class using 70,000 Alaska miles.

The Cathay website was showing only 2D open, every other seat blocked or occupied.

I called the agent and asked if she had a window seat and she said 1A and 1K were available.

I chose 1A.

I then asked her why the website showed 1A and 1K as blocked/occupied, and she said she didn't know. She told me that her system showed only 2A and 2K blocked for the bassinet.
Old May 31, 2017, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1A/K are premium seats, for elites (even OneWorld Ruby). I'd check that the seat assignment sticks. It may not. Non-elites can generally only pre-assign the center seats.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ijgordon
1A/K are premium seats, for elites (even OneWorld Ruby). I'd check that the seat assignment sticks. It may not. Non-elites can generally only pre-assign the center seats.
OK. Thanks. When are they usually released if no elite grabs them? I know I have been pre-assigned 1A before. I have flown in 1A 3-4 times.

My assignment to 1A is currently showing online under manage booking. Will they boot me if an elite requests it?
Old May 31, 2017, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I imagine they wouldn't be available until either online or airport check-in. I also don't think they were always premium seats in the past, and it's possible they still aren't on all flights/routes. I think if your assignment sticks for a couple of days you should be fine.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I have my booking number and my ticket number and am trying to book my seat for two flights. I am flying first class for one, business class for the other on November 18 and 19th. I have tried entering both on the Cathay Pacific website to no avail. I emailed the Marco Polo club who suggested I email using the contact on the website; nothing. I called and was put on hold for 30 minutes and gave up. I contacted Facebook-was told to send them a Facebook message-still no luck. Finally, I tried emailing the Marco Polo club email message back with the information they requested-still nothing! Does Cathay Pacific always have such awful customer service? Suggestions?
Old Oct 29, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Runner123
I have my booking number and my ticket number and am trying to book my seat for two flights. I am flying first class for one, business class for the other on November 18 and 19th. I have tried entering both on the Cathay Pacific website to no avail. I emailed the Marco Polo club who suggested I email using the contact on the website; nothing. I called and was put on hold for 30 minutes and gave up. I contacted Facebook-was told to send them a Facebook message-still no luck. Finally, I tried emailing the Marco Polo club email message back with the information they requested-still nothing! Does Cathay Pacific always have such awful customer service? Suggestions?
You may be putting the wrong booking number/ticket number.

First of all, who ticketed you? AS or AA? Because they are responsible for the ticketing, not CX (hence you might be looking at the wrong party here). The ticket number/booking number you get from AS or AA is different from CX's system. Call AS or AA to get the right PNR (6 digit) and use CX website to book a seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.