Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How / when to select seat on a Cathay (CX) award / flight (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
To get your CX Record Locator, call AA.

FAQ Page from Cathay website: http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...-requests.html

Info from the site (as of 15 June):

Who is eligible to request a seat?
The following customers can request a seat in advance

- Members of The Marco Polo Club (Silver tier or above) and oneworld Ruby tier members or above
- All First and Business Class passengers
- Customers holding tickets on eligible fare types – Y, B, H, K, L, M, V, W, R, E, T

Customers requiring special services cannot request a seat online. Please raise your request at the time of booking.
How do I request my seat?
You can request your seat at Manage Booking.

Simply log in and select “Service Requests” > “Seat”. You can select your preferred seat on the interactive seat map. Your request will be processed and confirmed immediately.
When can I request my seat?
You can request your seat via Manage Booking anytime up to 55 hours prior to flight departure. If you want to request your seat afterwards, you can only do so via Online Check-In.
Print Wikipost

How / when to select seat on a Cathay (CX) award / flight (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:48 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Call AA and ask for your CX PNR (and also see if the AAgent can assign a seat).

Call CX, give them your PNR and ask for a seat assignment.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
Call AA and ask for your CX PNR (and also see if the AAgent can assign a seat).

Call CX, give them your PNR and ask for a seat assignment.
Thank you!
Will do.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 3:05 pm

... And because the CX call center can be backed up or rushed on the phone. You can go to the website and enter the Non Member information along with your CX PRN and make your own seat selections.

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...anagemybooking

In any case, you have to be 180 days out from the date of departure.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 8:24 pm

CX award flights and seat map

Not sure which forum is best, mods feel free to move.

Have been booking some CX award tickets through AA and have come upon a problem with seat assignments. Basically, on flights originating at LAX (eg, CX 881, LAX-HKG) the AA reservation agent has been unable to pull up a seat map or assign seats. There seems to be no problem with long haul flights originating in HKG (eg, CX 880, HKG-LAX).

Anyone else having a similar experience?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Call AA and get your CX record locator. Go on CX website ...manage my trip and you should be able to pick a seat. If not then call CX and give them your CX RL.Good luck.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by pssteve
Call AA and get your CX record locator. Go on CX website ...manage my trip and you should be able to pick a seat. If not then call CX and give them your CX RL.Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestion. I already have the CX record locator for my current res and plan to see if I can get 1A unblocked.

I was just wondering if other people have encountered the situation where an AA res agent couldn't even pull up the seat map for some CX long haul. Hasn't happened to me before.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
AA has always been able to pull up a seat map for me, but that hasn't always been helpful, as most of the F seats, with the exception of the center ones, are often blocked.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:32 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uszkanni
Thanks for the suggestion. I already have the CX record locator for my current res and plan to see if I can get 1A unblocked.

I was just wondering if other people have encountered the situation where an AA res agent couldn't even pull up the seat map for some CX long haul. Hasn't happened to me before.
AA will never be able to unblock seats on CX metal. You need to call the CX North American phone number found on www.cathaypacific.com.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by HNL
AA will never be able to unblock seats on CX metal. You need to call the CX North American phone number found on www.cathaypacific.com.
I've actually gotten both 1A and 1K thru AA in the past, though it was probably done as a request to CX by AA which CX then applied rather than a direct seating assignment by AA. As long as it "sticks" I'm fine with however it happens.

What's still somewhat baffling is the fact that AA agents can't even pull up a seating chart of ex-LAX flights but have no problem doing so for ex-HKG ones. This is not a one-time occurrence but has been happening with different flights on different days by different agents. Will have to ask CX about this.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:11 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Thread merged with existing discussion about seat selection on Cathay flights. /Moderator
Old Jul 23, 2013, 4:59 am

Programs: AA Plat
How can you tell if a seat is being blocked by CX or being occupied? We booked 2 awards in F and the current seat map showed 2K and 2A not available. Would want to have 1A and 2A but ended up having 1D and 1K for now. Do we need to call CX to find out?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by shihyin
How can you tell if a seat is being blocked by CX or being occupied? We booked 2 awards in F and the current seat map showed 2K and 2A not available. Would want to have 1A and 2A but ended up having 1D and 1K for now. Do we need to call CX to find out?
Exact same situation. Had to call CX and they said those are baby bassinet seats, to be released at airport only.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
I feel like a dunce, I've reserved seats via AA (CX First), have the CX record locator and want to go adjust them. I see the seats on the CX website that AA selected, but don't see an option to change them.

How do I select my seats on the CX site in the Manage Booking area?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by iolairemcfadden
I feel like a dunce, I've reserved seats via AA (CX First), have the CX record locator and want to go adjust them. I see the seats on the CX website that AA selected, but don't see an option to change them.

How do I select my seats on the CX site in the Manage Booking area?
I have this same problem. AA flight number, called and got CX record locator. The flight details pulls up under Manage Booking, but there is no option for me to change and select seats. My booking code (CX L) should qualify to select seats, but obviously not working. I ended up calling CX directly to change seats which they were able to, but they weren't sure why I wasn't able to change seats online either.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: Any program with a credit card, or good prices.
Originally Posted by nightkhan
I have this same problem. AA flight number, called and got CX record locator. The flight details pulls up under Manage Booking, but there is no option for me to change and select seats. My booking code (CX L) should qualify to select seats, but obviously not working. I ended up calling CX directly to change seats which they were able to, but they weren't sure why I wasn't able to change seats online either.
I think once you have AA select a seat you loose the option. I had a segment downgraded from first and I've been able to select the seats on that one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.